Newly Released Bikes General

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm waiting for some industry leader to pipe up and say that the new school S shaped seatstay and chainstay made to accommodate wider hubs are not structurally as sound as using a straight stay. Then go off and solve that somehow creating a bit more wacky.
Something like Trek's Knock-Block but for cranks? That's going to mean a lot of ratcheting! :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There was some pretty amazing wank proffered at the time about how 148 was superior to 150 when it came out due to "optimal spoke bracing" or something suitably vague yet reassuring.
There is always going to be plenty of justifications. Those big wagon wheels you modern cyclists enjoy are going to put a lot of leverage onto an axle.

Gotta make it big...

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah right - the crew is back under a new moniker:

Lots of tests to come...
Looking forward to it, I think they basically came up with the Bible of Bike Tests annual formula (now shamelessly copied by Pinkbike, MBR, Enduromag etc.) so it's good they're back. Even if some of their past round ups have oscillated between comprehensive and vague af. If nothing else, they make it pretty obvious which bikes they gel with and the ones they don't.
Sign at start of video is " Ride it , Don't slide it "

Every fancy shot , sliding , clouds of dust ........
Hmmm... awkies. Tough one. Agreed that following people through clouds of scando brah roost dust gets old pretty quickly, but also footage of people riding like me does not make for entertaining video coverage..

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
- Bit of a bug bear of mine -

Followed some riders on the weekend .... every corner rear wheel sliding, Scrrrrappp , brappppp
I'm with you on that and cutties. Looks great on the shreddit, but seldom is there footage of the trail being repaired.

Cut to the weekend and there's trail damage from people trying to recreate what they've seen on YouTube Instagram or Pinkbike.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
- Bit of a bug bear of mine -

Followed some riders on the weekend .... every corner rear wheel sliding, Scrrrrappp , brappppp
Then all the kids think its ultra cool because they see all the riders on YouTube doing it, a trendy skid and flick the dirt off a berm that some trail fairy has put there.

Time and time again I have told my 2 to stop pre-skidding-flick into corners as all they were doing was fucking the trails up... and tyres.

Deducted the money from their bank accounts for the last 2 rear tyres :D:D:D

ozzybmx

Told mine the same. Plus drag them along to trail days to put some dirt back...
Tell you another good one, #1 son changing gears, standing up, cranking and accelerating, clunk-clunk-clunk :mad:

Shouted at him numerous times, telling him he was destroying the cassette and chain. Explained the old saying of 'Change gears like your cassette teeth were made of glass' with no avail.

Cassette fucked, lost a gravity enduro because of it. Gets a $250 cassette as part of his chrissy presents last year... hasnt shifted under load since.

They have had many warnings in the last year, I will not pay or replace parts for laziness, show off's or percieved cool shit that wears out a bike or parts.

This laziness specifically is about not pumping up tyres before every ride, then denting alu or smashing carbon rims.

Like your kid doing a burnout to show off then coming with his hand out for new tyres.

I think they are starting to get it :D

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Then all the kids think its ultra cool because they see all the riders on YouTube doing it, a trendy skid and flick the dirt off a berm that some trail fairy has put there.

Time and time again I have told my 2 to stop pre-skidding-flick into corners as all they were doing was fucking the trails up... and tyres.

Deducted the money from their bank accounts for the last 2 rear tyres :D:D:D
When I was 5, I had this little blue bike that had a coaster brake. I was always ripping huge skids on concrete and bitumen.

The old man says "if you keep doing that, you will bust the tyre and I will not fix it, because I've told you too many times to stop it"

Tyre wears through and punctures the tube. Bike sits over at the shed in plain sight with a flat tyre to teach me a lesson.

Pretty sure it is still sitting in the same place too.

ozzybmx

Were too soft these days, when I give them a bike ban for something they end up getting it back before the weekend or if its broken, I'm like "it can bloody sit there, I am not fixing it' next minute I'm running around like a headless chook trying to get it up and going again.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Were too soft these days, when I give them a bike ban for something they end up getting it back before the weekend or if its broken, I'm like "it can bloody sit there, I am not fixing it' next minute I'm running around like a headless chook trying to get it up and going again.
Get em hooked on warcraft.
Can’t break bikes that aren’t used.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
When I was 5, I had this little blue bike that had a coaster brake. I was always ripping huge skids on concrete and bitumen.

The old man says "if you keep doing that, you will bust the tyre and I will not fix it, because I've told you too many times to stop it"
Dad told me similar, but with a subtle and important variation - "All the wear is in one spot (it was down to the canvas in one place where the coaster brake always grabbed first), so I know you've been skidding the back tyre. If it'd worn out evenly all the way around I would replace it but not from you skidding it."

I preceded to go out, practice the timing of my braking and wore the rest of the tyre down to the canvas over the next few days... :oops:

"There you go Dad, I told you it was wearing out - it's worn all the way round now!" :p (Luckily Dad isn't the violent type...)

To his credit he did buy me a replacement tyre, but it must've been some kid-proof special as it was seemingly the worlds hardest-wearing rubber compound. Weighed a ton, had bugger all grip, but you could barely pick the slightest flat-spot even after a hearty skid-session - and damn! Did that tyre squeal when locked up! :eek:

The tyre outlasted me, and the bike ended up getting passed onto a younger cousin with it still on there IIRC...

ozzybmx

Get em hooked on warcraft.
Can’t break bikes that aren’t used.
Yeah probably why I fold easily.

They both do a bit of gaming, #2 son is 1 day into a 2 week ban for playing games at the weekend and failing to do a school assignment due Monday morning.

Keyboard and mouse stripped out, that will be 2 weeks without parole.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Tyre wears through and punctures the tube. Bike sits over at the shed in plain sight with a flat tyre to teach me a lesson.

Hahaha I have a scarred face , chin and eyebrow from a chopper I built when I was about 13 .
Dad says , that won’t work, your a bloody idiot - let’s just say a 6 inch over front end and a 10 inch wheel was ‘sketchy’
anyhoo, frame broke , face hit ground , mum not impressed .. dad didnt take me to hospital to have it stitched .
  • my face is still pretty .
  • I have had a beard to cover my chin since I could ....
I don’t actuallly know what my chin looks like ....