Newly Released Bikes General

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Downhill bike so dropper is largely irrelevant and if I recall Cinq do also have a two paddles in the same side option but in either configuration it's a damn expensive upgrade close to 400 Euros from memory.
They also use Pinion boxes on enduro and trail bikes though.

I think the "both on one side" shifter is the the one that Instictiv was developing, no? Not sure - please don't make me go to their website and have to look at their hideous bikes... :(

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't like the look of high pivot bikes (i'm sure it'll grow on me as more show up - I think it's the squashed chain-stay) and super-boost still annoys me, but Devinci make some damn good bikes. Still loving my Django

moorey

call me Mia
I don't like the look of high pivot bikes (i'm sure it'll grow on me as more show up - I think it's the squashed chain-stay) and super-boost still annoys me, but Devinci make some damn good bikes. Still loving my Django
Some look really nice IMHO…not my old ENR mind.
Super boost and all the wank fruit can fuck off.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
HP will be golden once gearbox’s are sorted and they offset the drive shaft from the crank shaft, like Starling has done with its Spur. And shifting is wireless electronic. Can’t wait.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was the same, I think Deviate do it very well on the Highlander, as do Norco with the Range. Others, like this Devinci are not so well resolved and it looks cramped.

GT looks so mid/high that I wonder what it actually does. Seems to ride well though. Function>Form to am extent.

beeb

I was the same, I think Deviate do it very well on the Highlander, as do Norco with the Range. Others, like this Devinci are not so well resolved and it looks cramped.

GT looks so mid/high that I wonder what it actually does. Seems to ride well though. Function>Form to am extent.
This new Deviate is a four-bar linkage which makes packaging a bit trickier (Compared to the Deviate/Forbidden linkage-driven single pivots...). But this having that four-bar design with split pivot (at the axle) and high-pivot, I wouldn't mind betting the traction/hoverbike feel is pretty awesome on this through choppy terrain!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I have a Hendrix, which is basically the plus version of the Django....super fun bike

beeb

Missed opportunity to have a high pivot centred on an offset drive shaft. And I’d like the gearbox on a non assisted bike. Getting close though.
I've mentioned this before, but pivots concentric to the drive gear are not a good idea. Having the pivot concentric means you can't utilise the chain force to generate any anti-squat. Pedalling forces would actually try to pull the suspension into its travel (it won't completely overcome the spring force in the shock, but it'd pedal bob like a demon in other words). The original effigear box (with the offset output shaft) looks good in theory is a packaging nightmare. Packaging a basic four-bar linkage around it is hard enough, let alone something high-pivot and with some anti-squat factored in. The Pinion gearbox, or "Mimic" effigear really are a better solution despite looking a bit shit.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I've mentioned this before, but pivots concentric to the drive gear are not a good idea. Having the pivot concentric means you can't utilise the chain force to generate any anti-squat. Pedalling forces would actually try to pull the suspension into its travel (it won't completely overcome the spring force in the shock, but it'd pedal bob like a demon in other words). The original effigear box (with the offset output shaft) looks good in theory is a packaging nightmare. Packaging a basic four-bar linkage around it is hard enough, let alone something high-pivot and with some anti-squat factored in. The Pinion gearbox, or "Mimic" effigear really are a better solution despite looking a bit shit.
I get the perfectly concentric bit; think it was Rotel that centred around the bb back in the day, although more exaggerated with a large chainring. I don’t really understand the packaging bit.

beeb

I get the perfectly concentric bit; think it was Rotel that centred around the bb back in the day, although more exaggerated with a large chainring. I don’t really understand the packaging bit.
Basically if you don't want to use the offset output shaft as a pivot there's very little room to attach a pivot for the suspension that fits between the gearbox and rear wheel & doesn't foul the chain. With high-pivot designs becoming more prevalent it'd be more practical/accepted these days, but still presents a fairly small window of pivot placement and would inhibit shock placement (Horst link/four bar with upright shock) or physically prevent it altogether (anything with a shock through the downtube like lower-link VPP, Forbidden, Deviate, etc...) like on a lot of the current common suspension designs. It still allows room for a shock that attaches to the top tube, but it's a bastard (in my limited/hobbiest experience) to get a decent leverage curve out of those designs (assuming you want a nice steady rate of progression in the linkage).

If you want to nerd out with it download Linkage V3 and have a play. It's quite interesting how difficult it is to design a system that would both work well across all performance factors (leverage ratios, linkage progression, anti-squat, anti-rise, pedal kickback, chain growth, CoG dynamics, etc...) and not create any physical clashes between chainring, chain, chainstays, wheel and tyre, and tyre and seattube. It's good fun if you like annoying your brain with nearly impossible problems... :p

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Big bigly big words @beeb...are you saying you don't like dw's split link thing?