Newly Released Bikes General

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The tubes of the carbon Twostroke were designed with comfort in mind – the thin seat stays and the D-shaped seat tube are meant to provide extra compliance in rough terrain. None of the complete models come with a dropper post, but there is a shim that makes it possible to run a round 27.2mm seatpost. Claimed weight for a size medium carbon frame is 1037 grams.
TF.

Minlak

custom titis
I'm not sure how I feel about these short offset crown forks
A lot of the new bikes all have head angles that are designed around the smaller offset it seems - wonder what necessitated the change - is it technology driven or manufacturing driven

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
WTF is with that squared off seat-tube on the carbon models? :(
Ahem.............'The flattened seatstays and D-shaped seattube were designed to create a more comfortable ride.' according to the article.
Translated, if we have flex then we can call it a comfort and endurance enhancing feature.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Flex. Pretty common on road bikes in recent years.
Seems counter intuitive to me, normally something with sharper corners creates more stiffness, not more flex. My guess is in reality it allows them to create a stiff enough seat-tube at a lower weight. They obviously think it works, but just seems like another bloody unnecessary "standard" to me...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Seems counter intuitive to me, normally something with sharper corners creates more stiffness, not more flex. My guess is in reality it allows them to create a stiff enough seat-tube at a lower weight. They obviously think it works, but just seems like another bloody unnecessary "standard" to me...
I reckon the flatter rear face would be less stiff in the aft direction than a rounded shape. Obviously an over simplified example but think flat plate steel vs round tube steel of the same thickness (lets say 3mm). The flat plate would be much easier to flex perpendicular to the flat plane compared to the round tube.

beeb

I reckon the flatter rear face would be less stiff in the aft direction than a rounded shape. Obviously an over simplified example but think flat plate steel vs round tube steel of the same thickness (lets say 3mm). The flat plate would be much easier to flex perpendicular to the flat plane compared to the round tube.
Bend the edges of that flat plate up though and you have a "C" channel. "C" channel is not flexy in that direction at all. My memory is shit, but it was my impression that assuming same material and thickness, box or C channel is generally stiffer than round tube.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Bend the edges of that flat plate up though and you have a "C" channel. "C" channel is not flexy in that direction at all. My memory is shit, but it was my impression that assuming same material and thickness, box or C channel is generally stiffer than round tube.
Yep, stiffer in a C than a flat profile but again, not that simple. Let's just assume that the swiss composites engineers know what they are doing!!

beeb

Yep, stiffer in a C than a flat profile but again, not that simple. Let's just assume that the swiss composites engineers know what they are doing!!
I guess because it's on the compression side, and the edges are bowed out it would allow for some flex as opposed to a C-channel with 90-degree bent sides. I still reckon it's a weight saving trick they've dumping a bunch of marketing BS on top of, but yeah - fair to say they know what they're doing!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur