Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Ain't happening on my premises.

I service my own Monarch, SID & Pike Charger parts.

Not this shock!
It is pretty involved. I've heard that the X2 are difficult one plus Fox seem to be into nitrogen refills for some shocks.
That is one reason why I will always hang onto a older bike. Ease of home service on less complex RP23 and Float/Talas forks is win even if it might not be as awesome as current gen gear.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I've watched this video on X2 servicing:

Ain't happening on my premises.

I service my own Monarch, SID & Pike Charger parts.

Not this shock!
Flick it off to Cyclinic. Sent mine there earlier this year and it came back very quickly. They even sent me some replacement screws when I lost the one that holds the shock body on when I was chucking an extra spacer in. Great service.

Big fan of the X2. It's a bit of an hf to understand but it's also a bit of an alchemy shock - you can make it perform almost any way you like if you have the faff patience.

EDIT: didn't see your earlier post about MTB Suspension - still rate Cyclinic though.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I just use Ibis recommendations for my weight - they provide excellent info. I have been too scared to venture...but now they shock is known to be perfectly operational, I may experiment a little.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I just use Ibis recommendations for my weight - they provide excellent info. I have been too scared to venture...but now they shock is known to be perfectly operational, I may experiment a little.
Jeff Kendell-Weed's videos on set up are excellent providing you can get past his exceptionally irritating voice. Once I'd dialled in the Ibis factory settings I used his X2 set up video to understand more.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You don't need to refill the IFP with nitrogen. Air (which is mostly nitrogen) will work perfectly. The big PITA with Fox shocks is the IFP filling method and the lack of factory rebuild kits.

One thing Fox did improve is having the service manuals online.
Yep. Air at 78% nitrogen, air is fine for anyone less then a serious downhill trasher who’s getting the shock’s damper body hot.

Ford fuel rail schrader valves fit into the Fox IFP charge port just nicely.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Wouldn’t nitrogen be better to eliminate any corrosion issues due to air water content?
The small amount of oil that is present in the IFP chamber negates that, plus everything is anaodized. And if an aluminium IFP scratches the inside of the damper tube, it’s for the bin anyway.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I didn't discover that, but I think I was the first to find a source/part number for them after a guy in the US made the discovery scrounging through a wreckers yard: http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/suspension/fox-shock-ifp-fill

I also have the proper N2 fill setup but don't have the bottle now that my moto suspension days are pretty much behind me. Either way, the Fox setup is a bit suboptimal compared to the RS approach.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yep. Air at 78% nitrogen, air is fine for anyone less then a serious downhill trasher who’s getting the shock’s damper body hot.

I've seen some sites with these schrader values but didn't know a Ford fuel rail valve is the same thing. Great tip.

Never bled an IFP before and the shock still feels ok to me. I don't really know if I need it.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The small amount of oil that is present in the IFP chamber negates that, plus everything is anaodized. And if an aluminium IFP scratches the inside of the damper tube, it’s for the bin anyway.
Plus the same evil corroding air that we breath is floating all around outside of the shock body anyhow.
The shock and shock body size standards will go out of date before it rusts away IMHO.