Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yes. Loctite 609 retaining compound. I’ve fixed a few.

You use scotch pads or a fine wet and dry to get rid of the oxide layer first.
I think he's asking if it helps without pressing out the stanchions.

If you stand the bike upside down and spray some inox onto the crown and stanchion interface, and let it wick overnight that will quiet the noise for a while. This is not reccomend for steerer to crown creaking, which should be replaced or fixed properly.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I think he's asking if it helps without pressing out the stanchions.

If you stand the bike upside down and spray some inox onto the crown and stanchion interface, and let it wick overnight that will quiet the noise for a while. This is not reccomend for steerer to crown creaking, which should be replaced or fixed properly.
Didn't know just inbox was a temporary cure. Makes sense though and less hassle.

I thought some flavour of loctite on the crown to stanchion interface was the ticket. Never had to try it though but has to happen one day.

I think I can hear my knees clicking before any CSU.

Oddjob

In a weird turn of events, Chris King are only making centerlock hubs from now on. No more native 6-bolt.

Feels icky.
Just another reason to avoid them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Haha, I just ordered a rear hub this morning. "She'll be right!"
But why? The specialty tools and eye watering cost of bearings and spares are a huge turn off, and unlike DT 240s they aren't light.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
But why? The specialty tools and eye watering cost of bearings and spares are a huge turn off, and unlike DT 240s they aren't light.

They’re beasty built hubs. Cost of bearings - do they ever actually fail? Agree on the cost of spare parts and axle conversions etc.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Beacuse I wanted to. ;) A mate has them on his bike, and they just feel great. Roll really well, great sound, nice engagement feel - just a really good quality feeling hub. No other reason than that. His have been flawless, and I'm not generally a destroyer of things - so just going to give them a go I've been rolling around on my P321's for a couple of years now and just felt like trying something different. As much as weight weenieing is fun where convenient - for the overall bike build the rear wheel's going from 27.5" to 29", a heavier tyre, and I'm converting the fork to coil too - so I don't think another 59 grams at the rear hub is going to be all that noticeable. Pretty much wasn't even a consideration to be honest.

Where did you hear that Chris King news?
From the Aussie distributor - SCV Imports. I f**ked up and ordered a centerlock hub, before realising what I'd just done and sent off a "Sorry! Please cancel..." e-mail, and to their credit they didn't do the typical thing of sending it out before they check their e-mails - so huge doff of the cap to them on that front. I got an e-mail in the morning with the credit being sent back, and another one with a brief spiel about the discontinuation of the 6-bolt variants. Felt a little douchey to buy elsewhere after the good follow-up from the distro, but I really didn't want centrelock. Sorry/thanks SCV Imports!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I’m with oddjob. Nothing wrong with DT or hope hubs. Do prefer DT but the price of hope makes them compelling.

If I’m going high end, it’s going to be onxy

Oddjob

They’re beasty built hubs. Cost of bearings - do they ever actually fail? Agree on the cost of spare parts and axle conversions etc.
Yes they fail. Had a work mate have to replace the set on his road hubs for $350. They had done high mileage, and he hadn't been on top of cleaning and lubing them, but that's crazy. I can get a set of japanese (NSK/NTN/KSM/EZO) bearings for my I9s for less than $100.

For that kind of money I would replace them with the SKF MTRX bearings and forget about them for them for the next decade.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Yes they fail. Had a work mate have to replace the set on his road hubs for $350. They had done high mileage, and he hadn't been on top of cleaning and lubing them, but that's crazy. I can get a set of japanese (NSK/NTN/KSM/EZO) bearings for my I9s for less than $100.

For that kind of money I would replace them with the SKF MTRX bearings and forget about them for them for the next decade.

They now offer a lifetime warranty on bearings, but going on the fine print at their discretion.

My Chris King headset has been set and forgot apart from a rubber o-ring that split but once replaced have not thought about it. Heard many mixed things about their hubs and replacement parts, drivers etc are big dollars.