Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
3D printed titanium cleats for Shimano, Crank Bros and Time. $85US a pair, ouch but supposedly 4x the life. @ozzybmx @Cardy George want to purchase and verify that ;)

https://bikerumor.com/3d-printed-ti...romise-1-2-the-weight-with-4x-the-durability/
Hmmmm, nope, not for $85. The problem I have is because I wear them all day while I'm doing my side job, the rubber soles wear down so the cleat scrapes on the ground. If it wasn't for that my cleats would last an eternity.

As we often hear, though, marginal gains accumulate into massive savings. Silca provided a calculation of what that 25g might mean for a rider: “25gm reduction x 100 rpm = 180kg of mass not lifted per hour of riding, 90kg per leg!”

Perhaps a somewhat questionable claim for those pedaling with two legs, and thus a second cleat countering the weight of the first.

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Hmmmm, nope, not for $85. The problem I have is because I wear them all day while I'm doing my side job, the rubber soles wear down so the cleat scrapes on the ground. If it wasn't for that my cleats would last an eternity.
If you drill some holes in your shoes would you save 25g? $85US at todays rates is $116 plus shipping. That’s a hella lot of money for one pair of cleats.

SummitFever

Eats Squid

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
1/2 the weight is great, but 4x the durability just means you're wearing your pedals out. There are very good reasons for making cleats out of a material softer than the pedal and its retention mechanisms.
Interesting. They have the following on their website:

Enter 6/4 Titanium, only slightly less hard than tool or spring steel used in the pedals,

So the cleat is not so hard that it will blow your pedal up or has marketing been on the juice again.