Newly Released Suspension & Components General

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
@ozzybmx you are going to have to wait a while longer but apparently Travis Brown from Trek is playing around with bigger wheels so you might have chance yet.
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/no-mondraker-isnt-working-on-a-31-wheel-enduro-bike.html
Interesting, I thought that idea was a pretty good one - an opportunity to try out bigger wheels without a very expensive re-engineering exercise that could potentially be bolted to the front end of a lot of bikes. It's not something I'd do, but I could see a lot of people being interested.

As for a new wheel size, like the article says I don't reckon it's a goer just due to sizing. Unless you're nudging 6'6 (which like only 75% of this forum is) the benefits are pretty limited. If it does happen it'll be like how 29ers came on the scene (adopted by early enthusiasts, but took over a decade to reach anything near mainstream acceptance).

PJO

in me vL comy
Interesting, I thought that idea was a pretty good one - an opportunity to try out bigger wheels without a very expensive re-engineering exercise that could potentially be bolted to the front end of a lot of bikes. It's not something I'd do, but I could see a lot of people being interested.

As for a new wheel size, like the article says I don't reckon it's a goer just due to sizing. Unless you're nudging 6'6 (which like only 75% of this forum is) the benefits are pretty limited. If it does happen it'll be like how 29ers came on the scene (adopted by early enthusiasts, but took over a decade to reach anything near mainstream acceptance).
I think the drawbacks of bigger wheel sizes have already shown themselves with 29ers. Anything larger would again require heavier and burlier components to reduce the inevitable flex, which would be most important for those bigger (heavier) riders.
Bring on:
GigaBoost axle spacing: 127.69mm front and 163.915mm rear spacing. 23mm front and 12.32mm rear axles.
43mm fork stanchions.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And a revolutionary proprietary thread for additional clamping and stiffness, but they just introduce Whitworth (BSW).

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
And a revolutionary proprietary thread for additional clamping and stiffness, but they just introduce Whitworth (BSW).
Probably LH thread Whitworth too.

And you forgot the 56-73mm tapered headtubes for moar stiffness!

Reactions: PJO

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This has been an interesting series:

Ohlins really seem to be coming along, their product line up is looking like more and more of a threat to the established players.