2. Coleen Kehoe - 2:24.70
3. Jo Fox - 2:32.64

Full results can be found here
Results by category here

Attachments

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The Doctor "Whats the worst thing that could happen to you at this sort of event."

Jill. "The worst thing? Well I suppose I could have a heap of fun..."

Best response to a silly question ever

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
"I've been riding around Melbourne, to my mate's place and thing like that and sometimes I swallow pollen, do you have much trouble with that at Mt Panorama?"

Absolute idiot that guy...

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
So to those who attended, was the overall event as lame as it looks?
Since you've already made your mind up over it, why bother asking/baiting ? Take the negativity elsewhere.

For all others - awesome weekend. Shame about the Sunday weather as it really killed the place. Saturday was awesome and a decent turnout and if not for the shitty washout, Sunday would have been massive.

Worth the trip from Brissy in a full car... definitely.

Also @Brandon, shot not middle.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I didnt attend, but anything organised by Craig Flynn is touched with awesome, you my friend are just touched with stupidity for asking a stupid question!

pinkgoat

Likes Dirt
Since you've already made your mind up over it, why bother asking/baiting ? Take the negativity elsewhere.

For all others - awesome weekend. Shame about the Sunday weather as it really killed the place. Saturday was awesome and a decent turnout and if not for the shitty washout, Sunday would have been massive.

Worth the trip from Brissy in a full car... definitely.
Well my initial impressions were also based from last years event, but I had not made my mind up over this one.

The downhill actually looked like it was a fun and fast track (albeit short). I was more refferring to the whole EXTREME SPORTS! image of the thing. Having downhill skating, BMX, luge, scooters and parkour (seriously wtf?), with a bit of a downhill race tacked on the side doesn't really give the best image for the event, let alone what it does for our sport.

It reminded me of this actually:
[video=youtube;FO2Abp0FbA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2Abp0FbA0&feature=related[/video]

EXTREME SPORTS! MOUNTAIN DEW! MONSTER ENERGY! EXTREME!

T-Rex

Template denier
It was an outstanding DH race, well organised, on a different style of track, with a variety of weather conditions and a great atmosphere.

Best not to make assumptions when you are short on facts, it doesn't help your credibility.

thecat

The downhill actually looked like it was a fun and fast track (albeit short). I was more refferring to the whole EXTREME SPORTS! image of the thing. Having downhill skating, BMX, luge, scooters and parkour (seriously wtf?), with a bit of a downhill race tacked on the side doesn't really give the best image for the event,
It's markets itself as a gravity sport and music festival, that other attack the "extreme" tag is their issue.

The BMX dirt jumps were massive. The luge and DH Skating is truly insane and well worth watching. yeah Parkour and Scooters aren't really my thing but they did get a big crowd watching them. Each to their own

All the competitors were looking at each other saying "man you guys are nut can't wait to watch you compete."

let alone what it does for our sport.
Like attract world wide TV interest and show the sport to a much wider audience then would generally be interested in seeing it?

Yeah lame ha..

edwin

Likes Bikes
This was a great event. Everyone had fun on the track. Its not often in Australian that you find a track bunted so wide that every corner has multiple line choice.
The exposure for the sport was great fuel TV are doing a 30min show about Newtons Nation and anything that is promoting MTB is a good thing

pinkgoat

Likes Dirt
It was an outstanding DH race, well organised, on a different style of track, with a variety of weather conditions and a great atmosphere.

Best not to make assumptions when you are short on facts, it doesn't help your credibility.
So was Thredbo on the weekend too.. I was not referring to the downhill race per se, I have looked at photos and Bryn's video and it actually looked pretty good. I was referring however to the overall event (scooters, luge, skating etc). Get a bit of cash, some big name riders and a few hundred other riders and spectators and you are going to have a good race anywhere..

In saying that though, according to the other thread it seems it wasnt the most well managed thing from the Newtowns organisers on the MTB side.. Putting up a bit of prize money is all well and good, but leaving everything else to the club? Maybe there should have been more support for CTMBC there..

Oh and prizes? A Guy made a point in the other thread, which while may be petty, definately sends a message that the event only really focused on the top 5 elite or whatever. 5K with nothing to show but a piece of paper for a junior? Did David win anything?

Oh and assumptions? Maybe it was the EXTREME! image? Please. Look at the marketing for last years and this years event. And if you're still at all concerned, read my post again.

Like attract world wide TV interest and show the sport to a much wider audience then would generally be interested in seeing it?

Yeah lame ha..
World Wide? Really? More likely an hour highlights reel on FuelTV, inbetween 5 mins of 'insanse' luge and 'extreme' scooters. It will definatly show the sport to more people yes, but is it really the right image you wish to portray? This is obviously very subjective, but I feel mountainbiking should not be clumped with luge, scooters or skateboarding or the 'extreme tag'.

thecat, I actually heard the race was really well run, despite the stress placed on you (according to the other thread). So congratulations.

thecat

World Wide? Really?
Yeah really.
I know the 2008 event had syndicated news crews there from a bunch of different countries. The 1hr special they made up went to air in 8 countries that I know of

The luge is world champs and is a big thing in europe (isn't everything compare to here)
I'm not 100% up on the exact media cover this year but will get a report at somestage. however the media focus was there as were crowds, many of whom wandered over for their first look at DH mtbing.

The newtons promoters are already keen to get us back next year and as early as the Friday of the event were discussing with us about how better to bring the DH start into the center of the event and push more spectators down track side

pinkgoat

Likes Dirt
Wow. Well I stand corrected then! But what are your thoughts on the image of the event and the portrayal of MTB?

thecat

Wow. Well I stand corrected then! But what are your thoughts on the image of the event and the portrayal of MTB?
Its an event based around Gravity sports. isn't that what DH is?

Would we be better hosting a race at the soccor finals?

i really can't see your point on that aspect

pinkgoat

Likes Dirt
Its an event based around Gravity sports. isn't that what DH is?

Would we be better hosting a race at the soccor finals?

i really can't see your point on that aspect
Err, scooters, parkour and fucking rollerblades? Do you truly think putting DH in the same group is good for the image of the sport?

thecat

Err, scooters, parkour and fucking rollerblades? Do you truly think putting DH in the same group is good for the image of the sport?
Meh, I'm old enough not to get caught up in the scooter bashing. Same things were said about MTB, Skating, surfing....

They all out grew it.

having a scooter comp definitely dragged in a different audience, I can't see that as being bad

T-Rex

Template denier
5K with nothing to show but a piece of paper for a junior? Did David win anything?.
Yep, booty - set of pedals and a stem. No complaints from the U15s and U17s, although I gather there was a bit of a gap for the U19s in this regard, which Flynny has acknowledged.

It really was a top event, if it's on we'll be back next year for sure.

T-Rex

Template denier
The newtons promoters are already keen to get us back next year and as early as the Friday of the event were discussing with us about how better to bring the DH start into the center of the event and push more spectators down track side
Here's one suggestion - a bit of whipper snipper work through the grass to make spectator access easier, and some spectator signage eg "Road Gap jump 100m this way" with a big arrow. If it wasn't for the long grass it would be one of the more spectator friendly tracks.