AUS Newton's Nation - Results

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Oh do you know me do you?
Seriously man, Just chill out. It's all been and gone. No need to make more of an issue out of it. You're disgruntled about the attitude of people on this forum. You're attitude right now is hardly conducive to fixing the problem (which I can't personally see).

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously man, Just chill out. It's all been and gone. No need to make more of an issue out of it. You're disgruntled about the attitude of people on this forum. You're attitude right now is hardly conducive to fixing the problem (which I can't personally see).
Couldn't agree more. Gets really tiresome after awhile guys.

Instead of taking out your aggro on the keyboard, go jump on your bike and take it out on the trails.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I think it's awesome because lots of scooter riders and street runners might buy dh bikes and really grow the sport.......................................
I started parkour long before I started downhill. I happen to wildly enjoy both. Tell you what, forget whatever image newtons nation gives mountain biking, you could just link them to this thread and show everyone how mountain bikers really feel about their sport and everyone else.

I'm just gonna put this out there, But just because mountain biking is rediculously fun and the sport for YOU, does not make it THE sport. Each sport is as valid as any other. Except synchronized swimming.

I gotta tell you something, an event like newtons nation does show you something, every sport seems to have more than it's fair share of elitism.

dave m

Likes Bikes
I started parkour long before I started downhill. I happen to wildly enjoy both. Tell you what, forget whatever image newtons nation gives mountain biking, you could just link them to this thread and show everyone how mountain bikers really feel about their sport and everyone else.

I'm just gonna put this out there, But just because mountain biking is rediculously fun and the sport for YOU, does not make it THE sport. Each sport is as valid as any other. Except synchronized swimming.

I gotta tell you something, an event like newtons nation does show you something, every sport seems to have more than it's fair share of elitism.
That's a pretty wild assumption that all mtn bikers feel this way, I was just expressing my personal opinion. I hadn't asked everyone else yet. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, I think street running is fun too, I did it as a kid before it had a cool name.
Elitism or standards? Where do you draw the line? The power of marketing and association to attract sponsors, participants, fans, grow the industry... gain more respect.. did this event really help Downhilling? Does this have anything to do with each sport being equally 'valid'.....no. I think you've missed the point.
I just think it looked amateurish, take it or leave it.
Enjoy whatever it is you wildly enjoy doing mate.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Oh do you know me do you?
No and I can say that with much relief, there are quite a few people here who I'm sure are glad they also don't know you.

Get over yourself.

Oh wait, shouldn't I be saying "you're way cool tough as fukkk bro, fully sik, you rule!!!"

There you go, perhaps that will add to your already hugely inflated ego?

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
That's a pretty wild assumption that all mtn bikers feel this way, I was just expressing my personal opinion. I hadn't asked everyone else yet. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, I think street running is fun too, I did it as a kid before it had a cool name.
Elitism or standards? Where do you draw the line? The power of marketing and association to attract sponsors, participants, fans, grow the industry... gain more respect.. did this event really help Downhilling? Does this have anything to do with each sport being equally 'valid'.....no. I think you've missed the point.
I just think it looked amateurish, take it or leave it.
Enjoy whatever it is you wildly enjoy doing mate.
Don't back track now, you basically said (albeit in not so many words) that scooter riders and street runners were not good enough for the sport. That is definitely elitism, not standards. I'm sure many of the people at newtons nations watching the sports probably didn't participate in any of them.

I think given the location and nature of the whole event, downhill could not really have been represented much better. Having guys ride very quickly down a hill on a bike, doing jumps and stuff is pretty much all downhill is and has ever been. It's definitely a gravity sport, at a gravity event. The event was attended by people who like watching or participating in gravity sports, mostly young people. Downhill has mostly young people and will require more young people for growth. I fail to see where they stuffed up so badly.

dave m

Likes Bikes
Don't back track now, you basically said (albeit in not so many words) that scooter riders and street runners were not good enough for the sport. That is definitely elitism, not standards. I'm sure many of the people at newtons nations watching the sports probably didn't participate in any of them.

I think given the location and nature of the whole event, downhill could not really have been represented much better. Having guys ride very quickly down a hill on a bike, doing jumps and stuff is pretty much all downhill is and has ever been. It's definitely a gravity sport, at a gravity event. The event was attended by people who like watching or participating in gravity sports, mostly young people. Downhill has mostly young people and will require more young people for growth. I fail to see where they stuffed up so badly.
"Don't back track now"? Jesus, you're a cocky little fella aren't you? You have read into my post, made an assumption based on your own projections and insecurities (about your beloved street running and who knows what else), and now you are telling me what I was inferring by my own post? If this is so, wise up.

Re-read it in context of previous posts. I was having a light hearted dig at another post, my point was simply that I don't think the exposure was good, and the people who probably liked it were the other participants - the scooter guys, the street runners etc. I think it's great if they liked it and get into the sport, but I don't think that this is enough of a positive to counterbalance what I view as somewhat negative exposure of DH. But that's just my opinion, as stated previously.

Here's a tip for you kiddo, seek clarification before you get too excited and make incorrect assumptions.

I started DH'ing in 1990, so my view and perspective of the sport will probably differ from yours. I respect your views, and I think you raise some good points. Maybe it is the right move in order to attract younger people to the sport. Or maybe it will alienate alot of other people from the sport - the one's with higher incomes to spend on bikes, the skills and intelligence to advocate for issues such as trail access etc. I don't know. I haven't done the surveys and looked at the stats. I just know that it reminds me of seeing mtb'ing in the Xgames or whatever it was in the 90's which made DH look unprofessional, amateurish and cheap, and I know some other old people like me (!) feel the same. But that's not statistically significant...

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Maybe it is the right move in order to attract younger people to the sport. Or maybe it will alienate alot of other people from the sport - the one's with higher incomes to spend on bikes, the skills and intelligence to advocate for issues such as trail access etc. I don't know.
Dave I think you have the wrong image of the event.
Have a look at Tye's vid and hear what Kovarik and Rennie thought of the festival and having DH included

Exposing new people to the sport...
The festival brings together a bunch of differential tribes, yeah you have the competitors and the festival heads but you also get a bigger range of general public.

Check out this photo

You'll notice the school group in the back ground. This was Friday practice, local school groups were on excursions wandering around the grounds with their teachers.
The oos and ahhs as they walked down the DH track was funny. None of the group pictured had heard of DH before. Many of them were impressed enough to ask more about it. How many mountain bike events in Australia get that?

Through out the weekend a lot of people wandered over to check it out. Paul Kings commentary encouraged them to make their way down the trail. I had many people asking about the club and what we do. I had a few parents coming up to tell me how little so and so had been talking about mountain biking but until now they didn't know what he was going on about.

Personally I think that is a good thing. others might disagree. That's life

dave m

Likes Bikes
Dave I think you have the wrong image of the event.
Have a look at Tye's vid and hear what Kovarik and Rennie thought of the festival and having DH included

Exposing new people to the sport...
The festival brings together a bunch of differential tribes, yeah you have the competitors and the festival heads but you also get a bigger range of general public.

Check out this photo

You'll notice the school group in the back ground. This was Friday practice, local school groups were on excursions wandering around the grounds with their teachers.
The oos and ahhs as they walked down the DH track was funny. None of the group pictured had heard of DH before. Many of them were impressed enough to ask more about it. How many mountain bike events in Australia get that?

Through out the weekend a lot of people wandered over to check it out. Paul Kings commentary encouraged them to make their way down the trail. I had many people asking about the club and what we do. I had a few parents coming up to tell me how little so and so had been talking about mountain biking but until now they didn't know what he was going on about.

Personally I think that is a good thing. others might disagree. That's life
Flynny I wasn't there so there's a good chance I do have a different image of the event to those that were there.
I think it's great that the people who attended got a chance to see some downhill in action, and some top riders showing it off. I hope I get a chance to get down there next time to have a look for myself. As stated, my views were simply based on what I've seen as someone who didn't attend, based mainly on the promotional material, and the impression I got from the perspective was and is as I've stated. But I'm happy to be wrong about people's view of it in this case, if it's in the best interest of the sport.

Either way, that is a great shot with those school kids and I hope it attracted some new interest and participants to MTBing and DH. Awesome to hear Paul King is still commentating, l haven't raced for years but can still remember him calling Kovarik 'Mountain Man's' run at Mt Beauty many years ago when he'd just showed up as a big threat to the national series. Priceless on the mic.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Nice to see this thread has reverted to civil discussion :)

Can't edit it because it was a results thread only by Squidly
This somehow got hijacked as the other thread was shut down

SCOTTDMR

Likes Dirt
No and I can say that with much relief, there are quite a few people here who I'm sure are glad they also don't know you.

Get over yourself.

Oh wait, shouldn't I be saying "you're way cool tough as fukkk bro, fully sik, you rule!!!"

There you go, perhaps that will add to your already hugely inflated ego?
As usual a wild assumtion www.rotorburn.com

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Apparently we had a quick grab on Cycling central the other week (I missed it)

Just got word that Fuel TV will be running their stuff in February and Inside sport will have a 7 page lift out in an upcoming edition