nice steel frames + 26 or 29?

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
hi there.

After my bike suffered a catastrophic failure at this years Mont I find myself looking for a new race rig.

For years I've been riding dualies, but after borrowing a hardtail to complete the race, I find myself looking into hardtail options - I really enjoyed the way it rode (it was a dialled bikes 'alpine' in Ti).

So the question is - what hardtails are people riding out there? If I go with an alloy frame will I hate it? Was it only because I was riding a ti frame that I enjoyed it (in which case - what are some good ti, carbon or steel frames out there?)

And of course the same old question - should I go 29er?? (I'd rather not, as I'd prefer to keep all of my current running gear). Also - if you do go with a 29er - is an alloy hardtail OK or would it still rattle your teeth out?

I'm already down one frame, so I'd like to keep this as cheap as possible.

Some that I like the look of already:

- evil sovereign (cro-mo) but I can't find any available in Aus (TBSM may help)
- Kinesis Maxlight (alloy front with carbon rear) - available through CRC or wiggle
- ibis tranny is georgeous but I think out of my price range

Suggestons/advice??

thanks.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Niner S.I.R. 9 - I just ordered one after extensive test riding. Reynolds 853 steel baby... It's the most comfortable ride I've had on a HT...

http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=96
i do love the look of niner bikes but I still have the problem of trying to do this on the cheap so would like to be able to keep my current wheels/forks etc.

Who sells niners in Sydney though - does anyone know? Would like to take one for a spin to see if I can be convinced...

beardi

Likes Dirt
Charge - Blender, duster
Ragley - Blue Pig, Piglet, bagger
Transition - transam
Evil - Sovereign
Cotic - Soul, Bfe
Onone - 456, summer season
NS - Core
Chromag

jarv

Likes Bikes
Maybe check out velogear.com.au for some voodoo frames.Or maybe checkout those chinese carbon on ebay for $500.See if you can have a go on a 29er hardtail i loved mine at the mont.

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
I bought an evil sovereign from the aust distributor in August last year for less than I could get it from over seas. They aren't made out of the 853 tubing anymore, but use a tripple butted tange steel instead. I'm pretty happy with mine, but I wouldnt consider it a "race" bike. It's pretty heavy, and geo isn't really suited to climbing

Chrispy

Likes Bikes
I've got a voodoo wanga and I love the geometry, and it the smooth steel ride. Velogear did have them pretty cheap, as someone has mentioned. I would not go a 29er, everthing for it is harder to get and more expensive...even tubes and tyres.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I'm riding an On-one 456, DN6 tubing

It's a nice ride, the top tube is a little long,
I normally ride a 17/18" top tube frame and the 16" is perfect with a 70mm stem.
i'd give more info but i'm really drunk.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
We can set you up with a Singular Swift.
Funny you should mention that... the same guy who lent me a bike for the mont was riding one of these. Super nice. especially in ti.

Not sure I'm ready to go 29 still though. Just gonna be too exxy for me now to change-over. (I'd need new forks and wheels aswell as the new frame). THough I guess it's worth asking - what is a swift worth?

Thanks for all your suggestons fellas. After looking in to them all, and speaking with a few people I think I'm looking at the Cotic Soul... it has very similar geo to what I rode at the mont, and I was very happy with that. It also means I can keep my running gear. And they come in orange. :)

Funny you should mention that... the same guy who lent me a bike for the mont was riding one of these. Super nice. especially in ti.

Not sure I'm ready to go 29 still though. Just gonna be too exxy for me now to change-over. (I'd need new forks and wheels aswell as the new frame). THough I guess it's worth asking - what is a swift worth?

Thanks for all your suggestons fellas. After looking in to them all, and speaking with a few people I think I'm looking at the Cotic Soul... it has very similar geo to what I rode at the mont, and I was very happy with that. It also means I can keep my running gear. And they come in orange. :)
$950 delivered to your door, frame and fork...or if you live in the ACT go see Mal Adjusted it should be the same at his door.

If you want 26", we are just making our first order from Dialled bikes....how about an Alpine?

Edit, Ti Singular is a Pegasus...thats $2700 frame only.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
If you want 26", we are just making our first order from Dialled bikes....how about an Alpine?
too funny! the bike I borrowed (off same guy) was a Dialled Bikes Prince Albert in Ti also. Awesome bike - that's why I'm looking at the Soul - pretty much same geo.

Thanks for the offer - that's a great price for a beautiful frame (the swift) but I just don't have the funds right now to drop a grand on a frame and then another on wheels and forks.