AM Found

mint355

Likes Dirt
You're just worried, now that I've popped my cherry, I might start a resumé of wheel destruction that will rival yours...one day.
No one ever told me to be kind to wheels. Lucky for me, I've had them ALL replaced under warranty (crash) replacement.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep yep, that's a Syntace W30 rim. Unexpected, but it might have just been a poor application for the rim, although I'm not usually that hard on equipment, they are a bit thinner and lighter built rim, more in line with a marathon XC type wheel.
In any case, the EX471's are tried, tested and trusted, I have put a set through their paces on my Stumpy for the past year and a half and they haven't even needed adjustment.

Also, non-asymetrical (double negative, yeww), so I can build my proper ZERO dish rim onto my SS hub and be happy about it.

EDIT:
I thought I'd show the wear of the Continental Black Chilli, ProTection compound after 600km.
Trail King
View attachment 347995
Mountain King II
View attachment 347994

I've been pretty impressed with the Conti's in general. They will mount without sealant, although the sidewalls are porous from factory, they wont stay inflated without its addition, they don't bleed out any of those holes though, they've survived the Alice Rocks without issue, other than one incident of the MKII deflating without explanation and not holding air when topped up at the bike shop...only to inflate the next morning and behave perfectly ever since.

Updates have been slow as I haven't been able to ride much in the past few weeks due to some personal matters keeping me around home. Mainly just been doing gym/yoga/weights, in the time off. Hoping things will normalise again soon and I can get back out onto the dirt.
I've run a trail king on the front for about 750kms and other than buckling the carcass on the first ride it's worked pretty well. I ride about 50% raw rocky trails so it's held up pretty well and I haven't had any issues with sealant leaking either.

Reactions: Zaf

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You put some serious effort into this build. All the spreadsheets and number crunching.............. why the fuck did you put a xc marathon rim on this bike?

Your a big stronk man on a big stronk bike dude. Mistakes were made!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The W30s aren't really an XC rim, they're too heavy, not as heavy as an ex471 though. I run them on the Pole and they have been fine, including dh runs ay Green Valley.

What pressure are you running @Zaf? You use cushcores don't you?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

I believed it was a BIG STRONK RIM!! It's 490g with a 26mm internal, I thought it was Syntace's answer to the EX471 and was trying to keep on brand. This egregious error is being rectified immediately though, I am back on the path to DT Swiss.

Tyre pressures with Cushcores (front and rear) have been 21PSI front and 25PSI rear. The rear has to be run up a bit more because of the narrower internal and the smaller volume tyre (I know they're both 2.35's, but the MKII 2.35 != Trail King 2.35).
Could the cushcores be transferring a lot of force into the rim without denting it? Ie do you need to up the pressure on the rear?

Oddjob

Is the foam insert transferring/exerting excessive force on an aluminium rim to the point of it failing?

The tyre pressure is already up, mainly to stop it squirming in corners. I've not been able to ding a rim since installing Cushcores, and I have ridden two tyres home flat after a sidewall slash.
Sounds like a defect then. My W30s did hard labour under Minlak and now me and have been fine.