AM Found

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Motherfucker. I've been eyeing off a Storia, but pretty big bucks.

How is it compared to other shocks you've ridden and enjoyed? Worth the price tag?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
QUICKMATHS!!! Assuming you got the Torch i9, you've got 37.7mm/24.5mm for boost flange spacing and 34.6mm/21.4mm for non boost. So a flange spacing 62.2mm or 56mm, with a lower spoke count 28h to fit those rims, so longer spokes for the same lacing.
Compared to 77.6mm (19.85% or 27.83% wider) flanges on the Pinion H2R, with a 32h, shorter spokes, next-to-zero dished rear wheel with even spoke lengths and comparable tensions. Is there a practical difference, probably no discernible. But on a test bench there's no doubt where I'd put my money as to which is stronger and lighter.
I've got Project 321s and here's the maths:
P321 hubs.png

And here is the theoretical I9 Torch single speed boost.

i9 boost.png

I can't find all the dimensions for your setup, so can't run the calcs.

Reactions: Zaf

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Step one to a stronger wheel......... dh rim and proper tyres.
Step two........... ride soft. Fast dudes destroy wheels, regardless of setup. It just happens. Everything else is nitpicky. wheels get totalled, it’s apart of riding. Buy heavier rims, they’ll last longer. And prolock nipples, can’t have those bastards unwind on you

Oddjob

Don't have enough miles on it yet, or much of a comparison with anything else, to be able to comment reliably. I also need to do a stint on another shock that I'm more familiar with (CCDB Air, Float X or X2, Monarch Plus) to find out how much is the bike, and how much is the shock. I do have the Vivid coil sitting around still, but looking for an air option for the bike anyway, and will likely wait until the bike becomes a bit more familiar before changing anything out on it and doing a comparison.

The money for it was seriously good though, cost me $1250 and includes two springs in the price. And for me, it's a gorgeous item to own in it's own right; the machining and finish is really something special.

@Oddjob I think your spoke offset reference is incorrect for the W30's; not sure how it's going to be managed in that spreadsheet either. The W30 has a staggered drilling; half of the spokes are drilled 14.5mm and the others 13.5mm. So it's a staggered 0.5-1.5mm from offset the centerline of the rim.
View attachment 346226

In any case, my flanges are both 58mm tall and 38.8mm from hub centerline. I further ordered 1mm taller spokes because I am using NEWMAN nipple washers (see pic) in order to get a better load spread on the nipple/rim interface but also causes them to sit inside the rim a little higher.
View attachment 346227View attachment 346228
What's the shock dimension? I've got a stash of shocks or the pros closet have screaming deal on Vivid airs 216x63.

I guesstimated 3mm based on the rim bed. You would just do two runs of the spreadsheet one for the left spokes and one for the right.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

@Oddjob She's a 216x63 - 8.5"x2.5"
Vivid air might be on the money, wouldn't look unmatched on the bike or with Formula fork, and playing fashion wars is really half the battle.
Also wouldn't be bad to see the difference between the Vivid Coil that I've got as well. What year and compression tune is it running?
I'll have a look at the tune of mine when I get home. Here's the link.

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/rockshox-vivid-air-r2c-rear-air-shock-216-x-63mm-black-white

But the shipping might be cheaper through ebay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/352368151816

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
no arguments from me there, it is a very attractive bit of kit.

hows the "stiffmaster" top cap? Have you tried it back to back with a normal one? god that's a wanky name, but I kinda want one. 150mm 36's just not stiff enough *shrugs*

mint355

Likes Dirt
I'm gonna go ahead and say it; not even the Push 11.6 is prettier than the Storia, the thing is a god damned marvel!
Lol.... But the reviews of the Push 11.6 say it rides like a god damn marvel.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Lol.... But the reviews of the Push 11.6 say it rides like a god damn marvel.
Someone without an axe to grind would need to do some sort of proper back to back test. Push have done a lot of stuff in the MTB suspension world but the Storia guys seem to have a lot of suspension experience at the top levels (eg F1, WRC etc). If I was a betting man, my money would be on the Storia. The big pistons, large IFP diameter and low IFP pressures suggest the EXT guys know what they're doing.