Night rides.

grovesy

Likes Dirt
I 've been contemplating buying a set of decent lights for riding trails after dark.
Have any of you farkers got experience at night riding?
What light setup have you got?
Is it any good(the setup)?
What did it cost you?
Screw 50hr weeks!!

S.

ex offender
I haven't got a set, but I'm told that two lights on your bars (one aimed close, one aimed a bit further ahead), a flashing tail light (cateye thingy does the trick) and a helmet-mounted light for looking into corners is the hot ticket.

grovesy

Likes Dirt
Yeah I keep finding those flashing cateye thingies on my local trails.
I'd always thought they were left behind by extra terrestials as a beacon of some sort or another.

G

haha lol

I had 3 sets of lights for the 12 hour race in jarrahdale this year. Cateye Daylights on the handle bars(15 wats), smart light on my helmet(15) and a flashy light on my seatbag and it worked fine

Jess_Dawg

Likes Dirt
i paid about $40 for a light i made my self. 50wat bulb with a 12 volt batt. and it rocks. all you need is the bubls a few wires and the batterie

G

theres an article on it in an AMB mag the one with dogging your wheels in it

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it seems the "best" setup is like socket said. A hi and low beam on the bars and a helmet light.

MrPlow

TMBC
We have not done night rides for a fair while, but used to do them a lot. It is just like doing a new trail and is heaps of fun :!: :!: :D After looking at a mates "Proper" setup that cost him a fortune We went down to "battery world" and bought a 12v battery. I can't remember what it is from, but it measures about the 150mm x 80mm x 50mm. and pretty sure it is dry cell (not like a car battery).Then went to "super cheap" or "autobarn" and bought a set of driving lights. The small type spot lights you put on your car. I mounted one on my helmet, 1 on the handlebar. Joined with some good thick wire and connctors ( so you could get off the bike). And was better than that petzel crap stuff. Like day :!: I had a red led rear (for road only) and a cheap front halogen (for up-hills). We used to get around three DH runs before the battery folded. But thats a fair few hours fun for $100.00 or so!! Then slow charge (from car battery but don't start car!) and away again. SO MUCH FUN!!!!! Anybody in Toowoomba keen for a night ride one day??

matt462

Likes Dirt
i have a set of vistalite code 20's. The setup i have is a 15w on the handle bars, which has a remote switch near your thumb so you can turn on/off to save power when ever its not needed and a 5w on my helmet which is on all the time. It come with 2 batteries, 1 clips into a holder near your drink cage the other goes in your back pack. These normally give enough light for about 2.5 hour ride. I have used them heaps off road for single track the work really well. For fast fire roads there a little short in the distace you can see.

Before i got these i had my own home made setup with halogen lights and a 12v battery, but the no fuss of a good set of lights means they get used heaps more.

They cost about $250 about 6 months ago.