Avid elixir 9 brakes with XT rotors
Hope hoops with crests
Schwalbe Nobby front, RR rear
ESI grips, Ritchey stem and post
external cable routing

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Beautiful bike, & nice component list
brings back memories of my old A9C in vana white.
Boy I miss that bike

ChopSticks

Banned
WOW !!! looks fast !!

did you have much trouble finding the XX1 hope free hub?

red ESI looks abit too heavy for this build !
WHITE GRIPS :D

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
WOW !!! looks fast !!

did you have much trouble finding the XX1 hope free hub?

red ESI looks abit too heavy for this build !
WHITE GRIPS :D
Found the hope xd driver at Clee cycles in the uk- xx1 was hard to find as well in a bb30, went with 170 cranks and narrow Q factor .

Lol on the grips - they were stock in my box of tricks - still have blue ones, and as of race day some black pro silicon ones (wtf.) have white tape on my roadie - man I ave dirty hands!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Ride update.

First rides were on unknown trails,but yesterday took it out on known rocky, rooty stuff. For comparison,i have an anthem 29er 0, and a camber29 as comparison.

The rear was almost like I was on a 2.4" 18psi rear. fantasically compliant on 3 or 4"stuff - the old magic carpet ride cliche comes to mind. The front 120mm sid is nothing at all like the 100mm RLT i have on the anthem - the extra 20mm gives plenty more small bump compliance, ramps up about the same on bigger drops to save going OTB..

The rear smoothness doesnt seem to come at the cost od pedalling - no movement in the rear while sitting down and pedalling. When i bought the camber 2 months ago, I wasnt excited enough to plan my next ride with it, with this one, I'm looking at the other 2 bikes, and wondering what the hell they are for now........;(

Also changed the stem from 84o to +6o - better option for trail riding.

Cost of this build was $3900, not including the wheelset, saddle and brakes which were surplus in my shed

Frame - 2012 $1900 landed on clearance from the USA
XX1 from bike components $930
Hope driver $80
Ritchey seatpost $80 from mate
Ritchey Stem $50, wiggle
Rockshox xx 120mm $620, Bike discount.de
Arundel othersideloader bidon $50 wiggle?
BB $40 wiggle
easton ec70 flat $100
bike guy - $100

Plans - carbon rims from light bicycle - maybe even white grips chopsticks!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon black grips would be better.

That bike - just awesome. Hurry up and get some light-bicycle rims so finally i can see first hand if they are good or not. Interesting that you went the 120mm fork, how does it go uphill?

Oh, and the Anthem is now a wet weather bike, and sell the Camber. I'll assume you don't want to ride your $400 cassette in the mud .

Big JD

Wheel size expert
really nice build there Pharm

Is it for racing or general trail riding or both? You really took your time and sourced parts from far and wide to save costs.

what are you doing with your other bikes now?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Thx for comments - it's for racing as well as trail and epics.

On the large, and with stem negative its a low hand position for racing , but rides nicer the right way up. 2 maybe 3 inches lower even with the 120mm fork. When I was reading about it, I figured in reality racing is a small part of my Mtb life, so went the 120

Hills probably could do with some use of the pro pedal , as would racing , but I'll need some more experience to get that dialed.

Bike wise, will dump the 2 month old camber - just put shadow plus on the anthem , and I really like it so will keep that bike for wet weather

Mike95

Likes Dirt
so did you order the frame direct from US?
If so, can you let me know who it was thru. ( PM is fine )
I was looking at buying a air nine carbon rdo earlier in the year when they were in runout in the US.
None of the retailers would ship the frame outside US due to agreement with niner.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
so did you order the frame direct from US?
If so, can you let me know who it was thru. ( PM is fine )
I was looking at buying a air nine carbon rdo earlier in the year when they were in runout in the US.
None of the retailers would ship the frame outside US due to agreement with niner.
I used a shipping service called ustooz.com - it's a lady running a shipping service from her home ( Sarah - she's from Brisbane ). They change the packing so it's smaller and ship it to you