No more lifted runs at Buller.

T-Rex

Template denier
Went to the last Bike Buller, first time back at Buller for about 5 years. Quite enjoyed the event, but it’s apparent Buller has made bugger all investment in MTB since we were previously there. Wouldn’t hold my breath on them spending the necessary coin to remediate whatever is the problem with the lifts. A real shame, as the terrain at Buller and surrounds is excellent.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Went to the last Bike Buller, first time back at Buller for about 5 years. Quite enjoyed the event, but it’s apparent Buller has made bugger all investment in MTB since we were previously there. Wouldn’t hold my breath on them spending the necessary coin to remediate whatever is the problem with the lifts. A real shame, as the terrain at Buller and surrounds is excellent.
If things are still as they used to be, the lifts (and ski runs which the DH trails lie on???) are privately owned and the lift companies give 0 shits about summer income. Buller put in semi-decent efforts to get things up and going, with the Epic trail/Bike Buller/other AM stuff, but fell short on the DH side of things due to the apathy of the lift companies. All DH trail work used to be volunteer with reimbursement via accommodation.

This was info passed down a while back from people in the know, not sure if things are still the same or not.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'd booked and planned a November / December trip to visit there and ride the lift. Some cock then ate a bat in China and we all got bent over for it (COVID der) then the Victorian border closed soooooooooo my plan went to pooh. If the border was open and I'd still planned to go to Buller in a few weeks and this happened? Far out, I'd be really angry.
Bummed for the scene down there, this could effectively kill it as it's known in it's current guise. :(

moorey

call me Mia
I'd booked and planned a November / December trip to visit there and ride the lift. Some cock then ate a bat in China and we all got bent over for it (COVID der) then the Victorian border closed soooooooooo my plan went to pooh. If the border was open and I'd still planned to go to Buller in a few weeks and this happened? Far out, I'd be really angry.
Bummed for the scene down there, this could effectively kill it as it's known in it's current guise. :(
Lift wouldn't have been open anyway. Only ran by special arrangement for Bike Buller, and the cancelled Vic state DH round.

Plenty of other places to race/ride, but the shuttle monopoly isn't helping either...particularly as getting a permit to self shuttle at Bright is both expensive and limited. Falls Creek won't let you self shuttle to the top, but most other places you still can.

teK--

Eats Squid
Buller resort management doesn't give 2 shits about their Summer Season. They cannot even pay for adequate trail maintenance let alone building new trails or facilities.

I read somewhere the Winter season will become so short by around 2040 that it wouldn't be economical to even open for Winter season. Such a lack of forward thinking.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Amen for the spirit of tassie. Sounds like the buller families have gotten their wishes to run it as their private playground..

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I can see the issue with the chair lift as the way you have to hang on to you bike and not be able to pull the safety bar would be the issue.
Most other chair lifts that are like these have a bike carrying chair that goes in front to the one you sit in. Obviously don't want to spend the cash to do this.
Considering how short the ski season is, surely it would make sense to capitalize on the summer attendance of mountain biking.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I can see the issue with the chair lift as the way you have to hang on to you bike and not be able to pull the safety bar would be the issue.
Most other chair lifts that are like these have a bike carrying chair that goes in front to the one you sit in. Obviously don't want to spend the cash to do this.
Considering how short the ski season is, surely it would make sense to capitalize on the summer attendance of mountain biking.
Having to hang onto a heavy endurobro bike and try to feel sort of safe and not fall of the chair was fucking bullshit. 100% the lift company being tight arses.

If the chair stopped in a hurry, there could have been deaths or major injury.

At least Falls Creek has a bit of a clue with development, by the looks.

Hotham could be the primo VIC bikepark with some kick-arse lifted DH tracks and some beautiful XC out to mt loch, derrick hut, spargo's hut and beyond.

Buller resort management not only dropped the ball, but stabbed it with a sharp stake and took a giant shit on it.

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
Try it with your 11yo daughter and both your bikes. Shit system, easy fix, they didn’t want to.
Nope, Nope, Nope.

On a personal note feel a bit silly buying a DH bike now. Got it as Buller kept eating my enduro bike. Guess I'll get better acquainted with Baw Baw.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Nope, Nope, Nope.

On a personal note feel a bit silly buying a DH bike now. Got it as Buller kept eating my enduro bike. Guess I'll get better acquainted with Baw Baw.
Push runs make you stronger. Allegedly.

the old baw baw chairlift would have been a boon for the DH track but was probably too old, and cost too much to run(?)
with the sealed road and carparks at the top it wasn't needed any more. can't remember when it got removed though.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Nope, Nope, Nope.

Maldon, Baw Baw, Beauty....or get 4 mates and run your own shuttles there. Next Rotorburn meet up.
I saw numerous nasty moments with kids last Bike Buller. Quinn witnesses a couple and was a bit freaked out, understandably.

teK--

Eats Squid
Having to hang onto a heavy endurobro bike and try to feel sort of safe and not fall of the chair was fucking bullshit. 100% the lift company being tight arses.

If the chair stopped in a hurry, there could have been deaths or major injury.
Don't forget the loading and unloading part. Many attendees of bike buller would have done this for the first time and there are zero instructions provided on how to safely get on and off with your bike .

When the event gets busy and queues are long they really hustle you along too, thus adding to the stress. Some people mistiming their approach but choosing to try and get on anyway, usually by the skin of their ballsack just to avoid holding up the queue

Staunch

Eats Squid
I saw numerous nasty moments with kids last Bike Buller. Quinn witnesses a couple and was a bit freaked out, understandably.
As a 13 year old, with a bike that was 1/3rd of my weight, the Buller lifts were not a fun experience. Every lap was a numb thigh from having to have my bike sit on me because I didn't have the strenght to hold it properly. Trying to dismount and not get sent flying was also a challenge. Even as an adult, that system sucks with two people to a lift when compared to places such as Thredbo with proper bike racks.