No more lifted runs at Buller.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
The bike racks at Thredbo have only been a relatively new addition, I still remember riding the chair at Thredbo with my bike on my lap and the safety gate only part closed.

T-Rex

Template denier
The bike racks at Thredbo have only been a relatively new addition, I still remember riding the chair at Thredbo with my bike on my lap and the safety gate only part closed.
Yep, same here. Not ideal but did it for years. But I think with the system Thredbo has now it helps a lot of beginners and intermediates get on the trails, and so they have a lot more summer traffic as a result of that effort. Buller could do the same, they just choose not to.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Yep, same here. Not ideal but did it for years. But I think with the system Thredbo has now it helps a lot of beginners and intermediates get on the trails, and so they have a lot more summer traffic as a result of that effort. Buller could do the same, they just choose not to.
Last time I rode Thredbo, it was the same setup as Buller, bike on lap, so haven't seen how the racks work. Would the issue with Buller be the fact that the hop-on point is a mid station meaning that the chair doesn't slow down? I imagine that mid station chair de-coupling mid stations would exist, but I also suspect that they would not be cheap!

moorey

call me Mia
It doesn’t slow down, but the lifty holds it for you. Slows at dismount. Still think it’s very doable if they wanted to.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
It doesn’t slow down, but the lifty holds it for you. Slows at dismount. Still think it’s very doable if they wanted to.
Hey Johnny nice to see you back, oh wait...

Yeah been to Buller plenty of times, know the drill. I haven't been to Thredbo since they added the racks, found this image on their webpage:

Are you thinking a similar setup could work for Buller @moorey ?

I'm not sure I see a way to get 2 bikes on a rack and 2 bums on the seat in the small amount of time the lifty swings the chair back.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Hey Johnny nice to see you back, oh wait...

Yeah been to Buller plenty of times, know the drill. I haven't been to Thredbo since they added the racks, found this image on their webpage:
View attachment 368235
Are you thinking a similar setup could work for Buller @moorey ?

I'm not sure I see a way to get 2 bikes on a rack and 2 bums on the seat in the small amount of time the lifty swings the chair back.
That would only work for a detachable chairlift, where the chair slows right down at the bottom and the top of the lift for easier loading and unloading. that chairlift at buller has no such functionality at the bottom station loading area.

T-Rex

Template denier
That would only work for a detachable chairlift, where the chair slows right down at the bottom and the top of the lift for easier loading and unloading. that chairlift at buller has no such functionality at the bottom station loading area.
Thar’s ya problem... detachable mid Station needs a lot more hardware than a regular mid station where the chair stays on the cable. Seen plenty of detaching mid stations skiing overseas but the only one in Aus that I’ve seen is the new gondola in Thredbo. Buller would never spend that money for MTB. However.....

if they fitted the same racks as the Kozi Express at Thredbo, but you put your bike on the chair in front of you, you get plenty of time to load your bike and sit on the chair behind it. Rode a chair (actually several) in France with this setup about a decade ago, works fine.

treble

Likes Dirt
RIP Bike buller. probably my favorite race of the year.

I read somewhere the Winter season will become so short by around 2040 that it wouldn't be economical to even open for Winter season. Such a lack of forward thinking.
Im contnually amazed by Buller's short-sightedness on this issue. I used to try and get to there during winter as often as I could, but in the last few years they have barely had one weekend with good enough snow to bother. Aren't they noticing that snow conditions are getting worse and snow seasons shorter year on year? Shouldnt they be desperate to exploit a second source of revenue that doesnt rely on incredibly specific weather patterns?
Maybe its not about snow. Maybe Mt Buller is really a place for Toffs to stay in their chalets. And a bunch of sweaty mountain bikers doesnt fit with that image. But without the snow or MTB what reason will anybody have to go there?

teK--

Eats Squid

Im contnually amazed by Buller's short-sightedness on this issue. I used to try and get to there during winter as often as I could, but in the last few years they have barely had one weekend with good enough snow to bother. Aren't they noticing that snow conditions are getting worse and snow seasons shorter year on year? Shouldnt they be desperate to exploit a second source of revenue that doesnt rely on incredibly specific weather patterns?
Maybe its not about snow. Maybe Mt Buller is really a place for Toffs to stay in their chalets. And a bunch of sweaty mountain bikers doesnt fit with that image. But without the snow or MTB what reason will anybody have to go there?
I've been there in winter and it's shit anyway. Over priced, shit runs, slow lifts and you get bent over to get your wallet emptied at every corner. Like someone said earlier the management have just made it their own personal playground. Look up the scandal where the disgraced ex CEO was fired for giving away taxpayer funded perks to their mates.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Fuuuuck, I had so much fun there with some of the Bendigo Downhill Crew @warrior @Sethius
Mick were you there?

Loved eating flies and dirt and hanging on for dear life on the shitty chair.
It's just a shame, always used the pedal on the chair to take the weight of the bike. Plenty of lads have jumped off over the years so no surprises...end of a generation really.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

Their money doesnt originate from the mountain though.. Youll find they'll be quiet happy about this, all the tourists are gone and they get their mountain back.. It's been festering for a good 15 years..

moorey

call me Mia
It's just a shame, always used the pedal on the chair to take the weight of the bike. Plenty of lads have jumped off over the years so no surprises...end of a generation really.
Yep. Pedal on the seat is always the go. Easier if both people know what they’re doing and face bikes the same way. Less so with some goofy foot Gumby beside you.