NOBMOB Censorship

slowandold

Likes Dirt
The return of the Keyboard Warrior.

You could always go start your own forum.
Mr Spokey Dokey. The master of cynicism.

He has, like myself felt the wrath of the NOBMOB censorship committee.

Still like the site though. Plenty of good work been put into it.

Cheers

Last edited:

DeBloot

Feeling old
Mr Spokey Dokey. The master of cynicism.

He has, like myself felt the wrath of the NOBMOB censorship committee.

Still like the site though. Plenty of good work been put into it.

Cheers
Ha ha -exactly

And we're all united by our love of riding bikes for fun (ffs)
It all gets so freakin serious it just puts me off sometimes
Everyone so concerned about what the other guys doing, or what this person or group is thinking

Some dig, some advocate, some don't give a shit, and some are total morons
Same with any user group in any part of the world, so why are MTB'ers expected to be any different

Ha ha -exactly

And we're all united by our love of riding bikes for fun (ffs)
It all gets so freakin serious it just puts me off sometimes
Everyone so concerned about what the other guys doing, or what this person or group is thinking

Some dig, some advocate, some don't give a shit, and some are total morons
Same with any user group in any part of the world, so why are MTB'ers expected to be any different
Yep, agree totally. As for me, I don't really fit into the digging or the advocating groups but I do give a shit. That just leaves the total moron category for me, which is quite apt.

As for the other forum that splintered off from nobmob, good site. Quality stuff.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Yep, agree totally. As for me, I don't really fit into the digging or the advocating groups but I do give a shit. That just leaves the total moron category for me, which is quite apt.
Lol
Did I leave out the majority who just ride anywhere and everywhere for fun

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Considering that the site owner was being rung up and harassed at all hours by Authorities and NIMBYs over stuff other people had posted on his site you can understand why he chooses to censor some comments.

Rob can rub people the wrong way... don't we all, but he does put in a lot of effort into advocacy, his goals and methods might not align perfectly with yours but they are pulling in the same basic direction.

The global rider system he has set up and funded himself has been a great resource for clubs, advocacy groups and riders in general

Not all forums will fully represent all rider demographics and I think that is fair enough.
Personally, like him or not, I think we need people like Rob agitating both sides for change

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you think a "legitimate body" is going to somehow be able to represent all riders and be "united" with unauthorised trail building activity then you are in wonderland. You can be sure they will be distancing themselves as far away from unauthorised trail construction issues as possible, as it is the kiss of death.
Just because you are doing good work with a shovel some days doesn't mean you can't suck up to the authorities on the on other days.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
hmm so it's not just me who gets irritated by it (and I don't just mean trail talk)?

You haven't lived till you've had a heated email argument with him... which generally goes along the lines of him ripping shreds cause you're not doing something HIS WAY. Thankfully I have channeled my anger into a feeling of pity for the bloke. I feel sorry for him. I truly do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_freak

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went to the KNOBMOB site once upon a time,

I came away with the view that people get treated like: "its better to keep your mouth shut and have some people think your an idiot than open your mouth and confirm it".

Didnt get much value there at all. Felt very heavily slanted, political, clicky.

Its hardly a fair representation when you say to an authority: Read my website, see what we are ALL doing, what we are about etc, when its heavily censored.

Its like they think the authorities are dumb or something, like they wont see past all the bull anyway, so why bother censoring?

jdog73

Likes Bikes
Calling all Whingers

Grab a Kleenex, dry your eyes and go riding. Let's do something constructive instead of wasting time hiding behind a keyboard and writing people off. If it hurts your eyes, don't look at it!

Nmag

Likes Dirt
It's dark, it's raining, nobody is hiding and people are free to say whatever the hell they like. I've been offended by your idol, and it's soothing to hear I'm not the only one who takes offence. If this thread hurts your eyes, don't read it.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's dark, it's raining, nobody is hiding and people are free to say whatever the hell they like. I've been offended by your idol, and it's soothing to hear I'm not the only one who takes offence. If this thread hurts your eyes, don't read it.
Bloody oath. If this weather would clear up we'd get back to riding. In the meantime, we can pass the boredom by complaining about things that piss us off.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have looked at the iste a few times, but never really got into it re the forums. I do understand the need for debate and the conflict even sensible debate can bring when it involves historical trails (ie unauthorised). However I suspect the article on Page 32 of the latest Revolution mag is closer to reality that the attitude of a one way only system relying on IMBA/councils/NPWS/State Gov and other stakeholders' "standard" procedures. Time is ticking and like it or not, trails get built when they are not being built officially.

NOBMOB is not the only forum that is too politically correct on this subject. Ask questions on MTBR and there is always a cascade of generic answers regarding checking with land managers, wearing appropriate protective gear, using existing resources for signage and details about percentage of this and that in the soil/outslope/gradient etc. The answers often miss the detail of the question and can seem holier than thou. I am going to check Trail Care out.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think you will find some of the key people on NobMob are the founders of http://www.trailcare.com.au/sponsors and I've heard that it's biased to Northern Beaches.

I'm biased to the northern beaches too. Got a problem with that?

People are going to fight for trails in their local area first. That doesn't mean other people can't get involved with TrailCare and projects like it to push advocacy in their own areas. It's good to have a framework for people to use for advocacy projects.

Last edited:

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Lets not get personal

Rob is not perfect,nor am I or anyone thats posted here.

Been posting on Nobmob for years and try to point out that without unofficial trail building, MTB wouldn't be a sport and thus we wouldn't have the numbers to lobby for official trails.

You will usually only see pointless arguments and comments that will hurt advocacy deleted.

It is true, the site needs to have more of a well rounded focus especially in regards to DJ/FR and DH,however certain members of NOBMOB have put in massive hours over the years to legitimize trails that we love,we are only just starting to see the fruits of their efforts now.

Trailcare is a great inititive, joined last week, some of its founders are into DH.

Last edited:

D_Nine

Trailcare is a start.We all have to start somewhere, crawling before walking ,training wheels before balancing.The 'Northern' emphasis is understandable.Especially with the expanding of the Manly Dam network and the proposed track in Garigal National Park.If it can be proven here it will be easier to establish elsewhere.or we can continue to believe the world is flat and the sun rotates around us !

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I think you will find some of the key people on NobMob are the founders of http://www.trailcare.com.au/sponsors and I've heard that it's biased to Northern Beaches.
Spatially speaking, localized management of trails/riding areas is far more effective than broader management models, this is one of the primary reasons there are different levels of government. I also like how the local bike shops are involved, I have been a customer of these shops for years and if they financially benefit from supporting a positive cause, then thats fine with me. In addition, the community-based ethic has and will always be the most powerful resource we can utilize.

unitec

Likes Dirt
, the community-based ethic has and will always be the most powerful resource we can utilize.
My concern is that this community based ethic is being weakened by big brothers attempts to manipulate of public opinion.
Anyone that can harness this powerful resource will become powerful themselves however if this power is obtained by deceit we will all lose.