Noisy rear hub

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
My Giant Trance has a ratcheting rear hub, that drives the family crazy when I ride with them. Any idea what's involved in swapping it to a silent hub? Would I be better off just selling/swapping them?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
How much money have you got?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

discofrank

Likes Dirt
My Giant Trance has a ratcheting rear hub, that drives the family crazy when I ride with them. Any idea what's involved in swapping it to a silent hub? Would I be better off just selling/swapping them?
add more grease to the freewheel, i just rebuilt my factor E hub with more grease, its much quieter now!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Try oiling the pawls (NOT grease, too much chance of making them too sticky, which hampers engagement). Freewheel body/hub shell interface and resulting ratchet design are specific to brand and sometimes even model. Giant use a few different hubs; some are pretty generic Joytech or Formula stuff, while their higher-spec stuff is their own shells built around DT Swiss internals. I'm guessing you have the latter, because the more basic hubs are pretty quiet. The DT star ratchets can be pretty noisy when dry, so they probably just need a bit of lube between the drive plates.

PS: edited for typo.WTF is "geric" o_O

Last edited: