Noisy rear hub

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I HATE my noisy hub, my bike is silent bar that freaking hub
its better now with some more grease, might add more in a few weeks
Is that a Factor single speed hub that came with your Zerode? How does the engagement compare to other hubs you've ridden?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I HATE my noisy hub, my bike is silent bar that freaking hub
its better now with some more grease, might add more in a few weeks
I see an eye wateringly expensive Onyx ss hub in your future.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Is that a Factor single speed hub that came with your Zerode? How does the engagement compare to other hubs you've ridden?
yup, its pretty good, around the same for the hope single speed i had on the old bike ( that got nicked :( )
its also stupid easy to service too! even pulling the bearings out is easy, replacements straight from the bearing shop!

wkkie

i dont think they do a single speed hub though
Not that I've been looking or anything... :p

Or the heavy (and more colourful) version...

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Not that I've been looking or anything...

Beat me to it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not that I've been looking or anything... :p

While I understand the appeal of the silent Onyx (I really, really do), for a dually would a lighter weight hub (ie: a P321 SS rear hub) be preferable? From memory even the Cam Zink special Onyx was fairly hefty, and also has a similarly reduced size sprag to the Vesper hubs, which have had some mixed reviews regarding slippage in high-torque scenarios so far...

wkkie

While I understand the appeal of the silent Onyx (I really, really do), for a dually would a lighter weight hub (ie: a P321 SS rear hub) be preferable? From memory even the Cam Zink special Onyx was fairly hefty, and also has a similarly reduced size sprag to the Vesper hubs, which have had some mixed reviews regarding slippage in high-torque scenarios so far...
Looking at about $660 Aussie shipped for the Project 321 vs about $785 for the Onyx.

Weight wise the Onyx Cam Zink (the lighter of the 2 linked) is just under 400g and the Project 321 is about 285g.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I found the extra weight of a quality hub was more than made up for by how much better they rolled (No drag). With the extra weight being closer to the axle it isn't as noticeable as further out on the wheel. As in if you strapped 200 gm to the your hub it is less noticeable than strapping the 200gms to the outer diameter of the tyre. I've only run true precision stealth and I'll admit they are heavy but the extra weight to me was more than made up for by less drag and increased roll. The problem is now every other hub I use the noise is now amplified.

moorey

call me Mia
While we’re at it, I call BS on more resistance for a clicky hub being noticeable or relevant for 99.99999% of riders. There’s a dozen other factors I’d worry about first....and I’m not the slightest bit worried about any of those either.

moorey

call me Mia
Gram counters have caused more issues in this sport than they've solved.
Lighter, almost invariably, does not mean better; but for some reason when in the context of bikes, lightness is the SI unit for quality.
I will NEVER opt for lighter if I think there is a compromise involved in any way....certainly not with hubs, that I want to perform day in/day out without giving them a thought.
Disclaimer...I’m not at the pointy end of racing, and unless a bike is a bloated tank, I couldn’t give a cuss about weight.