Norco 853 trials frame, Kona DJFork, rear wheel + magura brake + more

Rik

logged out
Time to sell this machine, it was a project bike that took a year to complete, never got ridden, then sat around for another 3 months :eek:

Item:Norco Ryan Leech signature trials frame, Kona DJFork, Magura HS22 rear brake with Plazmatic pads, rear wheel Aireal hub, Rhyno Lite rim, AlpineIII spokes. Bonus parts as well, seatpost, headset, stem, handlebar, random magura spares, front brake and lever.
Pretty much just add a drivetrain and a front wheel, and it'll be ready to roll.

Weight:Don't have weight of individual components, can weigh the whole lot if you want me to. Being a trials bike, it's pretty light for steel.

Item details:Alright, this will be a bit lengthy...
Frame:2001 model Norco 853 trials frame.
Ryan Leech Signature. Gloss white. V brake mounts only. 12" seat tube, 540mm/21.25" top tube. 73mm BB shell, 27.2 ST diameter. Very sharp angles with a short fork. 16.25" chainstay length.

This frame makes for a great trials bike for playing about on, street friendly and easy to learn on. It has some very nice details in the construction, such as massively wide rear stays to allow for fat tyre clearance, and a "grind guard" of sorts on the lefthand chainstay to protect it from impact in the case of misjudged moves.

Fork:Kona DJF. Cro-mo construction. 405 axle-crown measurement (very short). V brake mount only.

Rear wheel:Aireal XC hub laced to Sun Rhyno Lite rim with DT AlpineIII spokes. Hub is a nicely made lightweight unit with 28 pickup points and 3 pawls. Spokes are butted DH spokes. Rim is strong for its weight, and has been freshly ground for more powerful braking.
The hub has had very little use (was previously on an XC/commuter bike), and the rim and spokes are brand new.

Rear brake:Magura HS22 brake. Comes with brand new Plazmatic trials pads. Only difference between this and the HS33 is the lever reach adjust, but this can be tweaked by spacing the lever blade from the body, I've already done this a little bit and it's dead easy to do. Brake has just been bled. I'll also include the bleed kit, some brake fluid, and some magura spare parts from random old levers.

Other parts:Seatpost is a BBB 2 bolt topclamp unit.
Headset is TH Industries.
Generic 90mm stem.
Ritchey "Severe Conditions" handlebar, brand new.
Deore V brake caliper, cartridge pads, Tektro lever.
I also have a tub of random Magura parts, some brake mounts, old lever parts, and importantly a bleed kit and some fluid.

Item condition:I'll give you a breakdown of the condition of each item...
Frame:In fairly good condition considering its age and use. It does have the usual few scratches and scuffs though. A bit of cable and chain rub is present, as well as some gravel rash here and there. There is also a small dent on the downtube, about the size of a fingernail. This shouldn't be anything to worry about, I highly doubt it'll fail there due to that. I have taken pictures of the most of the damage, and have them below. You won't get any suprises with this frame, I've documented any damage in afformentioned pics.

Fork:Suffering gravel rash on the back of it (NFI how that got there). Previous owner has sprayed black paint over that, it looks a bit rough up close but is fine otherwise.

Rear wheel:Rim and spokes are brand new, with a very tight and strong build. Hub is in excellent condition. One thing to note, I found out the hard way that it's best to use a cassette with aluminium spider on this hub, as it has an aluminium cassette body. There are marks from where the cassette dug in to body, but I've filed this down and it poses no problem now. See pictures below.

Rear brake:A bit marked up, brake line has a slight kink in it near the lever, but I've decided it's not worth worrying about. If you want to cut the line slightly shorter and rebleed it just to be safe, you can do so with supplied spares. Plazmatic pads are brand new.

Other parts:Handlebar is brand new, seatpost is like new. Headset runs rough, but it's only a cheapo. Front brake can do with a new cable, I haven't bothered worrying about it though. Stem only needs to be polished to look good again. Magura parts are a bit knocked about, but they're all just old bits that I've collected over time.

Item history:I bought the frame and fork as part of a 2nd hand complete bike, over 18 months ago from memory. It was stripped down straight away, then I took a year to build it up to rideable condition again. By that time, I'd lost all interest in trying out trials, and was hardly riding at all. It's sat around for a few more months until I decided to strip the bike for some parts and sell the rest.
Rear hub was bought brand new by me, installed on an XC commuter, had about 3 months of road use, then disused.
Brake came from another Farkiner, as did seatpost and stem. They all went straight on this bike, so have had hardly any use by me.
Handlebar, plazmatic pads, rear rim and spokes were bought new by me for this bike, and thus have had no use.

Known issues:Aesthetics mainly... all that is been mentioned above or pictured below. Things to note are you really should use an aluminium-spidered cassette on the rear hub, the front brake needs a new cable, and rear brake should be inspected every now and then to make sure the brake line stays intact.

Reason for selling:This was a project that was fun to work on initially, but the result just didn't satisfy as I'd lost interest by the end of it. I want to sell all this gear so I can get some money for a more practical project.

Price and price conditions:I'd be happy to part with the lot for $650. This includes over $400 worth of rear wheel alone, as well as all the other parts. No silly offers please, but if it comes to the crunch I may be open to negotiation.
I am not really keen on splitting it up, and if I do so, I want to be able to sell the rear wheel and brake before I do the frame.
Swapping for other parts is not an option unless you have new 06 gear, and even then I only want top-line stuff for my next bike (ie, X0, Juicy carbon, etc).

Location: Concord, Sydney. Will post to anywhere in Aus for free.

Postage conditions: Pickup or delivery in Sydney Metro area can be arranged, as can inspection. I'll only deliver if you live on/near a train line though, as I rely on public transport to get around.
As for postage, I'm more than happy to pack it and send interstate. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to send it to you at no charge (I have the right friend in the right place at a shipping company).

Pictures:I have 16 pictures in my photo gallery, feel free to browse through there. As mentioned, all the mentionable damage has been photographed, so there'll be no suprises.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in this thread or via PM.

Rik

logged out
I'm now willing to sell a bit cheaper, and may split up parts if necessary. It's crunch time for my parts hoarding, time to clear out unused stuff. If you have any interest in this, let me know and hopefully be able to negotiate a deal.