Norco one25

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
Haven't been able to shake the urge to get a dj/street bike, despite being too old (haven't mentioned it to the wife yet because I know she's going to look at me like I'm an idiot).

Don't know much about what I should be looking for but a LBS has norcos on sale, i liked the look of the one25 they had in store and the price seems pretty good.

http://m.norco.com/bikes/dirt-street/steel/one25/one25/

Any reason i should be steering away from it? Is straight steerer an issue or not for dj?

Also I'm 188cm and not sure if geo suits.

Any help appreciated.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'd look at some other options, and also price up a custom build through somewhere like crc using some clearance parts...suitable frames have been pretty cheap on there recently. The 125 used to deliver a pretty solid spec, but this model looks cheap. Same with the 250.

Also have a look at some second hand options, as there is often some great deals to be had.

From the sounds of it you aren't going to have easy access to upgrade funds once you do this, so get it right.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
The NS Metropolis is worth a look, they're a little longer than most, which could help with your height.

Even the cheapest Dirt Jumpers seem expensive, to me anyway. Maybe because of the abuse expected they have to have a pretty good component level

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I would definitely avoid an alloy frame, such as the p3. While they can be nice and stiff if you are actually "too old" they do rattle the bones....a lot. The give in a cromo frame is so much nicer. Straight steerer is a non issue. DJ forks are just now coming around to taper and really only alloy frames run them. Brand new Circus Expert is $400 from CRC, straight steerer. Half the price of "better" forks and still everyone's go to if they only have $400 to throw at a fork. The NS metropolis 1 is the only one in the range worth looking at really, the 2 and 3 are well over priced for what's on it. Avoid Circus Sport or Comp, Argyle R, DJ 3 or 2, RST, Duro DJ with qr (heard decent things about the 20mm thru version tho) in the fork dept.

Building a complete is great, but only if you know what you want. For the listed $1300 of the One25, you can get a fucking top spec 2nd hand bike. The only frame CRC has on clearance is an NS Majesty Dirt for $900. Unless you're getting the 125 for like $400, don't bother.

Here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/253476461444388/ there is a Norco 250 for sale in this group for $800. It's still got nice wheels, bars, stem...while it doesn't have the top of the line fork, it's not the worst either. Way better value than the new 125.

May be the direct link, dunno if it'll work: https://www.facebook.com/groups/253...628703210588376/?sale_post_id=628703210588376

Last edited:

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
Cheers everyone, great help.

Ill keep an eye out on 2nd hand and maybe post a few up here for analysis, good to know what sort of TT length im lookimg for now.

My experience with querying rigs on fb groups so far is asking questions of kids that didn't pay much attention in Engliah class and are hiding the specs for some reason.

Any comments on this
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/harcourt/bicycles/ns-dirt-jumper/1138516251

Not far up the road and I love my NS Eccentric as a trail bike.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Shitloads better than that norco 125.

You'll have to factor in a rear brake, and the dodgy photos dont tell much aboit what kind of life the bikes had.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Hard to tell, but that looks like the rear is a screw on freewheel.
Probly an 08 suburban tho (iirc, it'll actually say the frame name on the bb with the serial) ? If it's a screw on freewheel I would try to talk the guy down on price a bit.

Husband has an 09 Suburban. It's a nice frame to ride.

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
Hard to tell, but that looks like the rear is a screw on freewheel.
Probly an 08 suburban tho (iirc, it'll actually say the frame name on the bb with the serial) ? If it's a screw on freewheel I would try to talk the guy down on price a bit.

Husband has an 09 Suburban. It's a nice frame to ride.
08 Suburban looks right from a google search, cheers

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not sure why I've let this drop off my radar. Not scared off aluminium as I don't plan to be riding big jumps anytime soon. More for playing on street/skate parks/pump/jump parks
Here's the funny thing though...aluminium will be fine on the big stuff, it is the small vibrations and jolts that steel will help with. Steel has a small amount of flex in it that dampens such things and helps make riding around all rigid and stiff a little easier.

However that bike is pinging hot.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Here's the funny thing though...aluminium will be fine on the big stuff, it is the small vibrations and jolts that steel will help with. Steel has a small amount of flex in it that dampens such things and helps make riding around all rigid and stiff a little easier.

However that bike is pinging hot.
Lulz that's what i said. :first: alloy it tops when you want to really pump tranny and that. Even a shitty rider like me notices. I ride my fully rigid cromo for street and park all day with no joint aches or anything.

Dunno how you guys all missed that bike. It was the first thing i looked at when i saw the thread.

Quick plug - if anyone ever gets arch or ball of foot pain, pick up some Foot Print Insoles. I vouch for King Foam Orthotics but most guys run the Gamechanger. Primarily designed for skateboarding but same concept in biking.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lulz that's what i said. :first: alloy it tops when you want to really pump tranny and that. Even a shitty rider like me notices. I ride my fully rigid cromo for street and park all day with no joint aches or anything.

Dunno how you guys all missed that bike. It was the first thing i looked at when i saw the thread.

Quick plug - if anyone ever gets arch or ball of foot pain, pick up some Foot Print Insoles. I vouch for King Foam Orthotics but most guys run the Gamechanger. Primarily designed for skateboarding but same concept in biking.
Got a link for the foams? I have fairly high arches and would be interested in a good foot bra.

I didn't share the link originally because I like people to find their own answers some times.

suprised that it hasn't been wiped because of the lack of template, seems some can get away with it but not others. not that I give a fuck, just sayin:spy:
It is in a low traffic part of the forum. I wasn't going to supply the link for 2 reasons...

1) lazy buyers shit me.
2) lazy sellers shit me.

However the forum is pretty slow at the moment and I needed to feel like a nice guy for a change. It's probably not going to matter that much...looks to be a lazy poster and will no doubt already be sold but not deleted.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Got a link for the foams? I have fairly high arches and would be interested in a good foot bra.
https://www.boardstore.com.au/footwear/footprint-insoles/
This is where to buy locally. There are 3 or 4 different kinds so look here http://www.fpinsoles.com/every-foot-is-different/ to see which would suit you best.

I use the King Foam Orthotics as that's what came in my size. They mold With heat And wear. It's really confusing as to whether or not you need to remove your current insole. With my shoes i had to cut it out which sucked. I think it wasn't really necessary as the original was quite thin. I found they are extremely true to size, so getting the perfect size may be tight if you can't remove the original insole.

Sorry for a bit of thread jack but these really are great. Marketed towards skaters but i reckon dj feet take just as much abuse. When it correctly aligns your foot, it also helps feet rid of knee and back pain. Esp for those of us who are a bit too old :)