Norco Sight sizing a growing boy

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So the young bloke has nearly sold enough loads of firewood to purchase a new trail bike.

He is nearly 14 (yes he cuts his own wood with the chainsaw and probably other ways teenage boys do)
He is 168cm and growing obviously.

He wanted a trance 29 but giant are pretty much exhausted of stock, enter the sight 2018 a3 29. https://www.norco.com/bikes/2018/mountain/all-mountain/sight-aluminum/sight-a3/

Medium on the recommended chart goes to 175cm and large of course starts around said mark. The large comes with a 50mm stem so I can shorten it a little, moving seat forward etc. The geo is a little long but nothing ridiculous..

Surely the large is the right choice???

A shop guy was very much “ohh it might be to big” but he demo’d a Rocky Mountain instinct in medium on the weekend with similar numbers and if anything he was edging closer to the large.

I know bugger all about norco sizing, the spec is right, the style is right, the price is right, but is the size??

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I haven’t ridden a rocky for a few years but they used to run a bit smaller than most brands for the labelled size.

I know it costs more to change frame potentially in 2/3 yrs but I’d be inclined to go for the size that will fit his best for the next year. He’ll enjoy it more and ride more.

My wife always buys our tall but skinny 5yo size 5 or 6 clothes “so that he doesn’t grow out of them”. The pants just fall off. Not much value in that.

TLDR: I’d get the medium based upon the info you’ve presented. Does the store have an L that he can test?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Surely the large is the right choice???

I know bugger all about norco sizing, the spec is right, the style is right, the price is right, but is the size??
Yes, with a short stem.

My 2 boys are both 155cm and aged 12 & 13. At the weekend one raced dual slalom at the Melrose FTF on my Large SC Hightower as his back brake stopped working completely on his Kona, he won "B" grade... got me thinking very seriously about hanging on till they grew another few inches, now 165cm would be ideal... and jump them straight to Large bikes, missing Medium as it wasn't going to do them long.

Just run a 33mm stem on the bike and he wont look too far out of place on it.

EDIT: You will also have a little bit of an issue with the dropper being to high and might have to get one with a shorter stroke.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm 182 and a large sight is one the smaller side for me (fits fine though). I have mates who are about 175odd and they find the bike fits them fine.

Disclaimer: I have short arms to the point it is an actual size smaller than the rest of my body.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have access to the better model a2 in medium as well - I can see him out growing a medium in 12 months. The majority of our riding is trail based - not even what I’d call enduro.

We did 24”, 27.5 in a small and I have no doubt the medium is right right now but I think we can make the large work. Worst case scenario Dad who is a definite large might just have to ride it for a while...

slowmick

38-39"
How does he go on your current large?
At what point in your adolescence did you do your growing? How many years do you want to get out of the bike? in 5 years will it be exchanged for a car?
I have mates who are 6 foot but prefer a medium to a large. I am around 6'3" and have an XL hardtail that i chose from a size chart. it is too big for me and it puts me off riding it. Somehow big blokes sstill manage to ride BMX bikes. not for me but it is not uncommon.