Norco Team 07 VS 07 Specialized Demo 8-- Need opinions

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey all.
I am looking for a new bike and i am tossing up between a 07 Specialized Demo 8
And a Norco Team 07 With codes. Both within the 3300 range.
What are you opinions?
Thank you
Kind Regards Matthew
:)

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey i think i might add the specs of both bikes?

Norco Team. Ano Frame
Forks: 07 888 RC2XVA WC
Rear Shock: Rocco WC
Rims: Alex Supra DH rims
Hubs: Haldey DH ano Red
Drive Train: XO components
Hard Wear: Truvativ Holzfeller All round, Bars Cranks, seat clamp etc.
Brakes: Avid Codes 07.
Chain Guide: E-13 SRS
BB:Truvativ Howitzer
Pedals: 50/50s
Cassette:SRAM PG-970 11-23 road cassette

Cheers:)

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey. And for the Demo:

Frame - 2007 Specialized demo 8 medium in red
Forks - fox 40s RC2
Rear Shock - Fox dhx 5.0
Rear derraluer -sram xo
Shifter - sram x9
Chain Guide - E13
Brakes - Juicy 7
Cranks - Truvativ Holzfeller
BB: Truvativ
Pedals - Azonic
Rims: 721s- Flats spots on rear
Hubs: Specialized. Not sure if they are a de baged Brand

Cheers.
Also feel free to add any other bike that i might be interested, providing the price Range is around the 3300 mark.

Last edited:

Bomb446

Likes Dirt
Id go with the Norco just because i like the specs more.

Are you going to be racing or doing hucks more??

condog

Likes Dirt
i dont like norco very much i dunno why,
id definatly go demo because norco is a hucker bike
demo is a BIT more race orientated unless u
do more hucks than downhilling

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
ill go out and say the norco to be honest, neither brand ive hugely fond of but their both decent bikes, however the norco definitely has the parts and theres enough out there which youd think means they ride ok, id see the condition of the bikes gear train etc and go from there.

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Heyyy all. Thanks for the replays (opinions), im am into a Race bike, not so much free ride. I Prefer the Specs by far on the norco. But the demo is more specific to what i need. The condition of the norco is better than the demo aswell Due to the components besides the frame is all 06. I

Ive read reviews and the norco got 5/5 for performance and specs soo its a hard decision.
Does any one own a norco team or a demo in this thread, could you give me the positives and negatives of both bikes.
Also i thought the build was great on the norcos ( no maintence needed).

Any way keep the info coming.
cheeeers

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
TO clear up a few things in this thread.

To say the team dh is more of huck bike is simply not true. Both the norco dh and demo bikes have been through the huck stages sometime in their lives. The current models are much more race orientated, and will perform fairly equally. People say both these frames are heavy, again the opposite is true. They are both much lighter than say, a Gaint Glory.

Geometry wise, the demo is very relaxed and the chainstays are quite short, the team dh can be set close to the same geo or a little steeper if desired, but has a longer back end. Quality wise, specialized does do a great job on their frames. Though, to say the norco is poor quality is far from true. There is less propriety bolts and bearings to work on with the norco, but both designs are solid.

At the end of the day, Choose the bike in the best condition.

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Regarding J5ive.

Thank you for your in deep insight on these bikes, i appreciate it and it was just what i was looking for.
If any one else has any thing to add please feel free to comment.
Thanks again
Kind Regards Matthew

Also correct me if im wrong but are norcos a fairly maintence free bike (rumours)
Alsoe quite a strong bike.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
No worries mate, theres a lot of old bullshit that flies around about both of these bikes. The norco frame is very simple and easy to work on, my 2004 frame is still getting ridden hard by some lucky lad and is only on its 2nd set of bearings. Friends with 03 bikes still haven't been touched, though they are getting a little scrappy now. You can punch bearings out with a few sockets and a careful hand. Du bushings (the little bushing inside the shock eyelet) usually last 6-8 months, but these are easily replaced and only cost a few dollars. If you like doing your own bike work, you can even open up the roco shock on the norco quite easily and do your own service and tuning. The specialized isn't hard to work on, there is just a few more funny bolts and bits that would be harder to fix in a pinch, obviously more bearings means more work- but this isn't a huge deal.

If it was me, I'd personally go ride each bike and get a better idea of the owner and how it was treated, sit and get a feel- ask for a test ride.

aday

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont like norco very much i dunno why,
id definatly go demo because norco is a hucker bike
demo is a BIT more race orientated unless u
do more hucks than downhilling
Unless you know what your posting about, don't post untrue useless information. To say they Team DH is a huck bike is far from correct. If you weren't aware, Norco actually design certain bikes for certain purposes. The Team DH being a Downhill bike, not a so called huck bike. So before you go bagging out a certain brand because you don't like it very much, think twice about what your posting as this bloke wants relevant information about what HE should get, not what you prefer.

Matt-D8, as J5ive as said, go have a ride on the two to see how you feel on them. That will give you the best direction of where to head as they are very similar bikes.

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Thanks again Fellas. All further info has been more than helpful. I was very confused when people were stateing the team as a Huckers bike. In my mind it was an all purpose dh bike. Which has been reinforced by your comments (thanks again). Regarding the bearings on both bikes its all good, ive done alot of bearing work on on my bike ( d8 having a fair amount with in) so there no problem regarding that.

For the condition of the two.
The norco team is owned by a bloke at a bike shop, " he has quoted that is has been maintained after every ride and it hasent been riden that much at all". " theres no scratches on the frame" " only mark is on the brake levers" And now has had a total re grease all round, with new tyres and Brake pads. There isent even any crank rub.
So it seems to be in perfect condition.:)

Regarding the demo, it is an brande new 07 frame how ever all the components are 06 or older. So the frame is in new condition how ever the componets have been used quite a bit.Also th rear rim has quite a few flat spots ( noticable flat spots). So the condition of the demo is 50/50 perfect.
Theres one bonus with the demo that it is on wollongong (where i live). So i will hopefully grab a test ride of that and the clostest i can get to a team would be a norco aline park edition in store.

Feel free to comment again with this further info.
Thanks again
Kind Regards Matt

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey mate, i have an 07 aline park and i absolutly love it! i have only ridden it a couple of times (only had it for 3 weaks, and school is a pain) but it rides so well. one thing with the norco's there have been some that have cracked just on the shock mount. so first make sure it doesn't have a crack and 2nd make sure it's in warrenty. they remaid a couple of norco frames and added a brace to the shock mount to prevent cracking. i've never seen or heard of any of the 07's cracking though. the guy i bought my bike off cracked is 06 and got his 07 frame through warrenty. then he got sponsored and got a new bike. so i bought his aline off him which has all 07 parts. anyway yer go the norco they are very nice bikes and IMO they look sick!

heres a pick of mine .

norco Pride!

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey mate. Thanks for the insight on the norco team. Ive also heard thats the specialized demos cracked around the head set or rear swing arm (not 100% sure where) But that was with the 06 models which was fixed with the 07. Now with the recent info, i heard that the 06 norcos cracked some where but wasent sure where, now i no. Also they were totally Fixed in 07 and (as far as i know that non have cracked there so far).

Also you aline looks sweeeeet, theres some thing about the norcos that make them look so sweet. Thats whats got myself hooked.