Norco Team trials for mtn X?

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wondering what opinions on using a trials frame for mtn X. Basically I am looking at it casue 1. I can get it for cheap, 2. It woudl be great for new school and trials stuff, but I would also be looking at using it for my mtn x racing platform.

Ty, what made you decide on not using your zebdi? Was it that it wasn't good for jumping, or just the boy bike was available?

Ty

Eats Squid
Turley, it was just too small and twitchy for mtnX, the rear chainstays are about 15.5 inchs (thats silly short) and the head tube angle with a 4 inch fork was around 72ish, i got used to it but i was never realy comfortable with it, it's great at low speed (trials speed) but when you get up a bit of pace it's super sketchy, it's great for techy urban stuff, bunny to manual, abubicas etcs but i wouldn't wanna try any really big stair gaps on it just because of the speed you landing at.

the norco team trials is a really lightly built bike if i remember correctly (much lighter than the zedbi) so it might not make the best jumping bike but you may like the lighter frame and if your smooth it could be a DJ weapon with an 80 mm fork.

with that all said the zebdi is now my XC/trail/trials/urban bike just because it's lighter than my other hardtail. i'm just trying to track down a tompson 410 mm seat post and she'll be sweet.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yer, I realy ain't looking for a jumping bike as, I will use my specialized for that. I figured that for DS/mtn X you are looking at a much lighter bike which made me consider the trials frame. I am basically looking at it as a fun bike. something to take out for urban rides, can take it down to the skate park and rip it up then take it out to the DS track at lobb street to practice and race at the various event. Basically, use it where the big bike realy isn't suitable.

Ty

Eats Squid
i'd say go for it then, if your getting it cheap and your not planning on going too big on it you should be fine, it's like a BMX with big wheels so you should be able to throw it around at the skate park, might even be worth looking into 24 inch wheels if your mainly using it for steet/park.

*edit, if your keen to get started on the build up you can borrow my ridge forks for the true "big BMX" experence.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can get a brand new 2001 model for $150 :) I won't be building it up straight away as my Specialized still isn't finished but It will be my next project as soon as it is done.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put my deposit down on the frame today :) It was what I was going to be looking for after I got my big hit going and, it was soo cheap I couldn't knock it back. I secured the frame without shifting the expected date of my big hit running back at all! Woot! :)