AM Norco Torrent 7.1 <$1k Build Challenge

nathanm

Eats Squid
So during the Zombie Apocalypse I decided to challenge myself to build a modern, quality spec'd AM hardtail. As anticipated to achieve the goal there were a few issues and setbacks but with a little creative accounting I made it with the build running me (currently) at $991.
Have to say a huge thanks to many burners who helped me along the way with cheap gear and I'll tag them in the specs and include the prices.

Frame - 2018 Norco Torrent 7.1 (L) ($200 - thanks @Isaakk)
Front Fork - Suntour Aion 140mm ($224) (originally $312 but bought during 10% off sale and later a $58 credit due to incorrect listing)
Handlebars - Sixpack Driver ($30 thanks @moorey)
Stem - BrandX 31.8x50 ($24)
Grips - Ritchey Ergo True Grip ($20 thanks @Scotty675)
Saddle - Nukeproof (included with frame)
Seatpost - Giant 31.6x400 (temporary from spares box, soon to be changed to dropper)
Front brake - Shimano XT (M785) ($122 the pair thanks @Brother Maynard)
Rear brake - Shimano XT (M785)
Cranks - Truativ Descendant (32t) ($50 thanks some random fb buy/sell page dude)
Pedals - Shimano M424? (raided from spares bin)
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT ($60 for derailleur/shifter/cassette thank to Isaakk
Rear shifter - Shimano XTR Ispec B ($15 for ispec b bolt and nut unit thanks to Roll Cycles Hobart)
Cassette - Shimano XT spec (11-42t)
Wheelset - Sun Ringle Duroc 35 (27.5) ($236)
Front Tyre - Maxxis DHF 2.8 (swapped it for a new tyre I received in a deal a while back)
Rear Tyre - Specialized Butcher Grid 2.6 ($10 as I had a $50 voucher to spend at Roll Cycles but still save $15 as incorrect price sticker)
Total weight - Unknown guessing 15kgs

So realistically if I paid for tyres and throw in another $100 for a second hand dropper and a few bucks more if I bought pedals and if I hadn't got the CRC credit its more like a $1300 build. Though if i'd looked hard enough I probably could've found a wheelset, with rotors and tyres for around the same price as I paid just for the wheels, so swings and roundabouts. I also haven't accounted for the grips and chainring I bought and didn't use so there's another hidden cost.

Was it worth it, well probably not as I've seen a few similar bikes popping up for $800-$1000 but it was a fun regardless and the fork feels amazing. I'm really happy I stuck with plus sized tyres as well as they make if feel much more like a dually in the rear with the extra squish.

Building on a budget saw a few issues which i'm sure most have seen me document either in the parts qa or wtb threads. The biggest (and not his fault in the least) was the brakes which I got from Isaakk with the drivetrain for $160. The rear hose was too short so I sold them for $100 and bought some XT's and of course the rear brake was too short again. Scotty365 gave me a spare brake hose which was again too short by a few cm and ultimately I stole the XT's off my stumpy and am waiting for a ebay hose/connector to arrive to make a new hose for the other brakes so there's another $15 I suppose.

Last edited:

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks sweet! Great timing to finish too, given trails are supposed to be opening on Monday. Man those forks were an absolute steal, wheels too!

Scotty675

Cable thief
Wish I could build to a budget. I need to try this. I was so close to buying this frame just cause no one was. If you ever want to sell frame I'll buy it. Nice build, Will be interested to hear how it rides.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that spec looks like a lotta fun and knowing the price will just make it that much more satisfying to ride.