XC Norco Torrent (ish)

Minlak

custom titis
Frame - Norco Torrent
Front shock/fork – DVO Diamond 140mm
Handlebars - Truative BooBar 760mm (TranzX 6061 DB Alloy 800mm)
Stem – Thomson X4 70mm 10 deg (TranzX 6061 Alloy 45mm/35mm)
Headset – Angular Sealed Cartridge Bearing - Tapered
Grips – Oury Lock On (Ergon GA30, Lock-On)
Saddle – WTB Pure (Norco XC Saddle)
Seatpost - Ritchey Comp 25mm Setback (TranzX YSP07L Stealth Dropper, 150mm Travel, 1x Lever)
Front brake – Hope E4 on Tech 3 Lever 180mm Floating Rotor (SRAM Level T, 2 Piston Hydraulic Disc, Avid G2 180mm Rotor)
Rear brake - Hope E4 on Tech 3 Lever 180mm Floating Rotor (SRAM Level T, 2 Piston Hydraulic Disc, Avid G2 160mm Rotor)
Cranks – Sram X1 175mm Direct Mount (Race Face Aeffect SL, 175mm)
Chainring - Wolftooth 32t Oval Direct Mount (Race Face 30T)
Chain - Sram X1 (SRAM NX PC-1110, 11 Speed)
Pedals – Shimano XT Trail SPD (VP Nylon Flat Pedals)
Rear derailleur – Sram GX 11spd
Rear shifter – Sram XX1 11spd (SRAM NX, 11 Speed)
Cassette – Sram GX 1150 10-42 11spd
Front hub – Hope Pro 4 15 x 110 (Novatec 110mm x 15mm)
Rear hub – Hope Pro 4 12 x 148 (Novatec D162SB, Boost 12x148mm)
Front rim – 27.5 Spank oozy Trail 395 32 Hole 35mm Internal
Rear rim – 27.5 Spank oozy Trail 395 32 Hole 35mm Internal
Spokes – DT Swiss 14g Black
Nipples – DT Swiss 14mm Silver
Tyres – Maxxis Forekaster 27.5 x 2.6 Tubeless (Maxxis Minion DHF / DHR !, 27.5x2.8”, EXO/TR, Folding

Wanted to buy a hardtail (yeah yeah shouldn't have sold my other one) and I started by looking at a custom build. Problem one a lot of frames not available in Large size easily. Problem two by the time I did the custom build thing the price was getting out of hand. Problem 3 I couldn't find anything I liked / wanted that was XC orientated. I wanted Plus size tyres was about the only real must have and the rest was negotiable.
Settled on the Norco Torrent not quite XC and according to the Norco blurb:
"An aggressive all-mountain geometry combined with a no-compromise component selection gives this hardcore hardtail its character. The handling is quick, snappy and playful. Featuring Gravity Tune, riders of all sizes achieve optimal body position and weight distribution, giving you predictable grip, improved handling and control. With the Torrent HT both novice and experienced riders alike will dominate rocks and roots on technical downhills and tackle steep, loose climbs with ease."

So obviously the blurb is telling some lies as the original spec list leaves a bit to be desired. So I went about and changed a couple of things to a more desired build.

There is a couple of interesting features like how close the bottom of the chain is to the chainstay as opposed to the top of the chain. The location of the rear brake and this location does limit the size rotors you can comfortably fit. The 180mm would be about max for sure. there is a massive amount of tyre clearance all round even before I swapped out the 2.8's

Hopefully get to ride it next weekend on some trails instead of up and down the street.

IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_0458.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nice write up and build. That rear caliper position is interesting. How close to the frame is the rear bolt?

Minlak

custom titis
Nice write up and build. That rear caliper position is interesting. How close to the frame is the rear bolt?
You can only tighten it with the ball end of an allen key. The brakes also hoses also end up facing down too much and has quite a bit of curve to bring it back.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
Looks like a winner. Have been liking the idea of a hard tail again. Something blurring between AM and XC. This looks like a true trail bike.

Looking forward to a ride report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My La Pierre Zesty 827 2015 does something similar with rear calliper placement, but with a 142mm axle you can still fit a 200mm rotor.

Drop the wheel to gain enough room for swinging to achieve final desired torque on the mounting bolts.

Minlak

custom titis
Ok first ride done and dusted. Was only 5km of easy peasy trail but seeing as I haven"t even bedded the brakes on properly yet and there is a bit of rain hanging about and it was actually raining can't complain really. I got there (about 50km drive) and realised I had nothing no Allan Keys or Multitools nothing so adjustments were out of the question.
The DVO Diamond for is plush as and well planted. The front end felt so solid. not sure it is all just the fork some of it could be the larger tyres (2.6 Forkaster). Plush they felt buttery smooth and plush no harshness at all. Small bump compliance is "off the hook" (that's what the young people are saying now right?)
Bike feels nimble and small but I in no way feel cramped. Surely 27.5 vs 29 isnt that much difference I am sure it is the shorter chainstays. GX with XX1 shifter is just sublime.
I really liked it and can't wait for next weekend to get into it better.
There was more video in the middle of the actual riding and I messed it all up with to low an angle. you watch the video trying to lift your head up to see further up the trail.
I also realised how little of the bike is actually there from when I bought it. hardly seems fair to even call it a Norco Torrent.

Minlak

custom titis
Video review up. Once again i think the camera is positioned pointing down too low. A bit of a sucky thing with GoPro is how much it flattens the terrain. I have the setting on the GoPro set that I am supposed to be post processing the footage but it turns out I need a bigger hamster in my computer to edit 4k properly. I will probably continue to record in 4k and I can do remastered releases when I can be fucked upgrading.

The bike feels so planted. the forks maybe feel a little soft but didn't use full travel and I am still trying to work out the small bump compliance settings on the DVO fork. The front wheel feels like it wants to lift a little more up hills but never felt unstable just lighter than my smuggler.

I just uploaded to Youtube as 4k footage and again only gives a 360p option maybe will be better when it finished YouTube processing. Sigh

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I am supposed to be post processing the footage but it turns out I need a bigger hamster in my computer to edit 4k properly. I will probably continue to record in 4k and I can do remastered releases when I can be fucked upgrading.
GoPro is notoriously hard on your machine. Your edit software should allow you to edit at a proxy resolution and, when you’re happy with the result, you duplicate your edit and relink to the original files to export the final.

Minlak

custom titis
GoPro is notoriously hard on your machine. Your edit software should allow you to edit at a proxy resolution and, when you’re happy with the result, you duplicate your edit and relink to the original files to export the final.
Yeah it just physically won’t process in 4 k. Davinci fails out right / premier I get no video only sound / light?? Gives me great video no sound lol. Davinci does fine in 1080p all the way

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
For sure. DaVinci will allow you to get the sequence back to 4K once you’ve finished, so you don’t need to end up with a 1080 master even if that’s how you did the work.