Private Property North-East Melbourne Downhill/Dirt-jump Ressurection!

cameron_15

Eats Squid
G'day guys, A few of you might remember me (and my backyard) from a year or so ago, I then disappeared for most of this year due to year 12.

Throughout this year I have only ridden my DH bike on a handful of occasions and haven't been able to devote as much time as i'd have liked to my backyard.

The good news is, School is all over and now I've got a few months to get back on the bike and really start the building again and bring my backyard back to what it was going to be!

My plans for the future (They're quite lengthy and will no doubt take a while to achieve) include...

• Building a dual slalom type downhill track - I know roughly where the 2 tracks will go, just need to build them.
  • Finishing the Second Downhill track - this seems to be taking ages, I can't do it alone.
  • Building a pump track
  • Dozing my current DJ's and building some four cross type jumps and berms in their place
  • rebuilding the DJ's on flat ground further down the hill

After that, Everything will be sweet!

At the moment, I have no set dates for riding and building, but I imagine it will start early December when I'm back from schoolies!

t_bomb

Likes Bikes
sweet, i would love to come out and give a hand building! let us know some dates and i'll be there

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dude sounds sick!
give me a pm and i will try get out there any day you want.
sounds like it will be epic !

cameron_15

Eats Squid
So I was fairly busy with Christmas in the bike shop, other riding commitments and seeing family and friends over the past few weeks. In the last few days I've had the brush cutter and chain saw out and have cleared the first and most of the second downhill track again. I have been riding both and enjoying them quite a lot, however I know that there is quite a lot that could be done to make them even more fun.

Building plans at the moment are just to finish the second track, this is my main priority. I'll continue working on it over the next few days just planning out exactly where it goes and what features to add in. Basically, I'll be making it rideable from top to bottom, without a whole lot of jumps and berms. They will come after the track is settled in a little more, which shouldn't be after to many hours of building.

At the moment, the first scheduled day will probably be in early January. However, I'll be building with a few locals prior to that.

Stay tuned!

duggymag

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To easy mate!
Just like to ask what equipment have you got to build the other bits and peaces, like the DJ, 4X and the pump track, because normally they take a fair bit of dirt. (Depending on the size) do you use bobcats, or small excavators, monster trucks... Ect Ect: basically equipment more advanced then what a shovel is?

cameron_15

Eats Squid
In the past I've just got a friend with a bobcat in for the day to move the bulk of the dirt around, Then we go over everything with shovels to smooth it all out and make it rideable.

Realistically, the jumps redevelopment is still a while off. My main focus now is finishing the 2nd downhill track as quickly as possible.

duggymag

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah fair enough then, well sounds good as!!

How long would you think each DH track will be ? Time/lenght

mr.freeride

Likes Bikes
also man just wondering roughly length of tracks and elevation drop etc... im up for building even without equipment :p caveman style :p

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Keep in mind this is metropolitan melbourne. My house is 21 acres that is pretty much one hill, I'm doing the best I can to get value for the push back up!

The first track is about 1.5 minutes of easy singletrack with a few fun jumps and berms and a large (1.5m) drop at the end. The second track is a bit harder, with off camber corners, steeper sections, sharper turns, bigger and more jumps etc. It's going to take about 2 minutes once fully finished.

Vertical drop is hard to judge from the topo map, rough estimate of 80 meters vertically.

also, http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=177750102245684

Ride day will be on wednesday the 5th for all those interested. Tell your friends!

Last edited:

duggymag

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im up for building even without equipment :p caveman style :p

Im not trying to bitch out of hard work buy using machinery, just curious to know what he has used to move such amounts of dirt. i have my own interests in building jumps and tracks my self :D just curios.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
People keen? We have big plans and the more people keen, the sooner we can bring in the heavy machinery :p