North west coast trails

Stubbs is good, but hurry before it's sold. Other than that head to the Dial Range. Just park at the old tip and head into the hills and explore. There is a map that should be available at the local info centre that shows all the legal trails but as usual the best ones aren't entirely legal. Just be nice to anyone you meet on the way and it should be cool, I haven't had any problems yet.

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
The Dial Range - near Penguin - is a great place to ride. Forestry created a map of the area for riders, which you should be able to buy from outdoor shops or at the Forestry office in Camdale. Not too sure though. But if you get a map, then you'll be pretty right.

here's an example of a good ride in the Dial - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Dial-Creek-Rd-Ride-Dial-Range

Also, there's a good ride at Fernglade near Burnie too, and some tracks out at Oldina behind Wynyard, but they take a bit of finding. I can try to provide some better directions if you like...

here's a map of the Fernglade ride - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Fernglade-Emu-River-track

Last edited:

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
Just head out to the picnic area at Oldina State Forest and have a bit of a look around. There's a quite a few tracks around there. Not too sure if there's anything really close to Wynyard.

would you be able to give me the direstions to the tracks at wynyard? they would be the closest to me
Head down into the Oldina picnic area,
once you cross the bridge turn right,
go a couple of metres past the road on the left and you will see another left turn that heads into the forest, take that one and keep going.
This will eventually take you up a steep rutted climb and out to the powerlines, keep going straight and you will come to a T junction.
Turn right, then left, then left again,
Keep going straight through two more intersections (I think it's two, if you get to the logged area you've gone too far!) and then turn right.
Follow this road as it curves to the left and you should come to a fence.
Go right, down the sticky red dirt,
right again, up the road a little bit,
left, more red dirt,
keep on this trail as it crosses another road and heads uphill,
follow the main track and it comes out close to where you were earlier.
Take the slightly overgrown track opposite, hard packed clay, slippery when wet! At the end of this go right and continue until you're forced to go right again.
Uphill (walking if you're anything like me) then left following the fence line. Follow the road under the powerlines and you're back at the top of the first climb. Cross over the road and you will find a track that heads down the hill back the way you came.

This is just an example ride that I did a little while ago, on the way you will notice lots of tracks coming of the main roads, do a bit of exploring and you may find something you like.

Ride carefully as there is no mobile coverage (not mine anyway) and keep lookout for crazy motorbikes as they can reach plague proportions!

Have fun!