XC NOS 2009 Kona Jake the Snake

workmx

Banned
Well, the insurance finally came through for my stolen XC Charge.

A big thanks to Mal from Mal Adjusted for his patience in helping me decide on a replacement and the significant discount.

The replacement is a change of pace from the Charge, but given I have a Haro 29er for XC duties, an all quick purpose (fire road, commute, hauling the kid around) bike was in order.

Fairly stock so far, only a copy of replacments: Salsa seat clamp, green bidon, green bidon bolts, green Halo hex skewers (good for anti-theft purposes, plus stiffer and lighter than Mavic stock skewers) and my fav old WTB Devo Ti saddle.

I went for its first off-road ride this arvo... whcih was a bit painful on the wrists but VERY quick...:

Frame size - 58cm
Frame tubing - Kona Race Light 7005 Aluminum Butted
Rear Shock - meh
Fork - Kona Carbon Cross
Headset - FSA
Crankarms - FSA Gossamer Compact
Chainrings - 36/46
B/B - FSA MegaExo
Pedals - Shimano SPD M505
Chain - Shimano 105
Freewheel - Shimano 105 (12-25, 10spd)
F/D - Shimano 105
R/D - Shimano 105
Shifters - Shimano 105
Handlebar - Kona
Stem - Easton EA30
Grips - Kona Cork Tape
Brakes - Kore Race
Brake Levers - Shimano 105
Front hub - Mavic Aksium
Rear hub - Mavic Aksium
Spokes - Mavic Aksium
Tires - Conto Speed King 700x35
Rims - Mavic Aksium
Skewers - Halo hex (green)
Saddle - ragley Cheeky Ti
Seatpost - Kona
Seat clamp - Salsa (green)
Color - Green-white-yellow

Last edited:

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
Looks nice mate :D . I have been thinking about getting on myself so it would be good to hear how you enjoy after a few more rides.
Enjoy it and have fun.

workmx

Banned
Initial thoughts

After four days, three rides and about 100km of riding, here are my initial thoughts.

Riding style:
My riding was done on a mix of fire roads, some singletrack, roads and Canberra cyclepaths. The roads being the only smooth and debris free surface in that mix.

Review:
I am not a roadie, do not wear lycra shorts and don't give a damn about cadence. The last time I rode a bike with drop bars was over 20 years ago. I did not like drop bars then and don't like them now - so bear with me.

Well, then... why ride a cyclocross bike? Well, I wanted something quicker than my 26" slick tyred commuter bike for getting to work. Plus the Kona should be tough enough to ride on almost any surface. A cyclocross bike seemed to be the best compromise. Plus the drop bars can be changed to a flat bar anytime.

The Jake the Snake was very surprising. It is very quick over paved surfaces. Much quicker than I expected (but as mentioned I have not ridden anything but an MTB for 20 years). It is much quicker over rough surfaces than I expected also. At first, I tried to ride it slowly to avoid the worst of the rough. Then with a slight decline in the fire road and the extra speed that produced, I realised that the faster the Kona when the more comfy it felt. Just trust the tyres and carbon fork to smooth things out, avoid the bigger rocks and it fairly flies.

Coming from a new 29er MTB, the steering on the Kona seems very slow in tight corners, of which there are many on Canberra's old and arcane cyclepath "network".

The brakes let down the Kona. With a frame and fork that are so smooth and fast, the Kona needs good brakes. Unfortunately, when braking from the top levers, the brakes are things that slightly slow a bike, rather than stop it. Breaking from the hoods is okay, although the shift levers get in the way. The only option is to brake from the drops... not that I have done that, because as noted I feel uncomfy on drop bars. This is a major flaw in my riding style, but I figure that as a rider can brake from the tops and the hoods, then the brakes should work well from that position. Additionally under hard stops the front grabs and jars on the rim.

On the plus side, as a born again drop bar rider, the standard Kona bars have many comfortable positions and the transition from the top to the drop is easy. Plus they allow for a very aerodynamic position. This is another reason why the Kona just flies, even with knobbly tyres.

I am very impressed with the overall speed and comfort of the Kona Jake the Snake. But am very disappointed by the brakes. And just uncomfy with drop bars. The drop bars are probably just need a bit of time to get used to. So I am giving them two weeks grace before they possibly come off in favour of the Salsa flat bar lurking with intent in my spares cupboard. In that time I will also stick with the brakes, in case they just need an extended break in period.

Overall, the Kona is a fast, all surface bike that has really encouraged me to go ride again and again. So that is great. Iron out a few bugs and it should be awesome.

Will report back again in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
Good to hear you are enjoying the kona, sounds like a great bike too ride.
Give the drop bars a bit of time. It took me a while to feel comfy with the drop bars on the rodie when l took up road racing a few years ago. If you dont like the drop bars try a set of bull horn bars. I have a set on my single speed roadie and LOVE EM.

workmx

Banned
Thanks

Thanks to Ssjgogeta and Bundy boy for the advice.

I will stick with the drop bars and see how it goes.

BTW, Cobram is just up the road from Tocumwal (which has an intimate connection to Canberra.)

workmx

Banned
Indeed, the brakes are not the best.

Maybe better pads, Kool-Stop or SwissStop might make a difference.

Either that or mini-v brakes, as you say.

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Just wondering how you're getting along with the bike?

I'm also from Canberra and thinking about getting a cx bike for my commute.

Do you know if Mal has anymore of the 09 frames?

disfocus

Likes Dirt
Looks good.

That was on my shortlist recently for a new bike for similar purposes (commuting, towing the kiddie trailer, bit of light touring w/fire roads etc). I ended up deciding that I didn't want to spend too much on a bike that would be left locked up at the uni where I work (stupid new-school open plan offices for teaching staff--can't take my bike inside anymore!), at the shops, library etc, so I picked up a '10 Dew Drop half price.

I'm really liking it. I too hadn't touched drop bars for twenty years or so, and found them weird at first, but now that I've got the length/height of the cockpit nailed they feel great. I'm spending so much time on it that when I jump on my mtb my 685mm bars feel crazy wide!

The BB7s are good too--bit more stopping power for the trailer when it's wet--although I suspect the brifters aren't doing them any favours and they'd be a lot more powerful with flat-bar levers.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Brifters and road levers in general have very short pull on them. Try setting your the calipers RELLY close to the disc and see if you get some more POWER.
Alternatively, try rubbing some isobutyl alcohol on the rotor, they might be contaiminated?

disfocus

Likes Dirt
Brifters and road levers in general have very short pull on them. Try setting your the calipers RELLY close to the disc and see if you get some more POWER.
Alternatively, try rubbing some isobutyl alcohol on the rotor, they might be contaiminated?
Cheers, I'll try that. Pretty sure the rotors are fine--bought the bike about six weeks ago and it's only done 500km or so with nothing done to it that would have resulted in contamination. Think I'm just spoilt coming from XT hydraulics ;-)

Although, to derail this thread even further, the discs on the Dew Drop are still pretty amazing. I remember test-riding bikes at Clarence St Cyclery (i think...) back in the mid-90s when buying a new bike while passing through Sydney and being warned not to underestimate the awesome stopping power of these new-fangled things called 'v-brakes'. Which, to be fair, was a good call; despite the warning I still nearly went OTB when I pulled up quickly in Hyde Park!