Not a "what bike"thread. But need info

safreek

I was going by the price of that bike you pictured in your OP, I don't follow bike prices but assumed in this day and age it would be worth around the 2~2.5k mark. I still ride old bikes myself and spend the time setting them up, old heavy bike (2x) 22T & 34T x 11-36 (10 speed), fairly cheap and you can lug a heavy old bike uphill to bomb back down. :)
I have seen those Scott sparks? go for pretty cheap, round the grandish mark

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I have seen those Scott sparks? go for pretty cheap, round the grandish mark
Don't buy one.
Mate has just got his hands on one and it has caused nothing but problems with creaking. Been into the shop twice to fit and every time it gets the slightest drop of water on the pivots it sounds as though the frame is cracked and about to snap( its second hand).
I give him another two weeks with it before he rage-quits the bike.

safreek

Don't buy one.
Mate has just got his hands on one and it has caused nothing but problems with creaking. Been into the shop twice to fit and every time it gets the slightest drop of water on the pivots it sounds as though the frame is cracked and about to snap( its second hand).
I give him another two weeks with it before he rage-quits the bike.
Cheers for that, I assumed that there was a reason they come up so cheap at times

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
His mate was unlucky. Between my wife and I we've had/ have 3 sparks. But the oldest was 2017 through to 2020. None a grand. So you get what you pay for. How about a Norco Sight? 140mm both ends is sweet
an old norco optic would b the trick 120mm travel -local bike mechanic had original spark carbon 26er, got almost 10 yrs out of it before he cracked frame, good value

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
27.5" Anthems are pretty traily compared to the rest of the family, 110mm rear and 120 or 130 up front depending on model, and pretty slack for a XC bike.
some of them are asking crazy dollars, i’ve seen a couple between 3-3500..which i’m pretty sure what they sold for..still 130 pike on the front would b nice

bear the bear

Is a real bear
His mate was unlucky. Between my wife and I we've had/ have 3 sparks. But the oldest was 2017 through to 2020. None a grand. So you get what you pay for. How about a Norco Sight? 140mm both ends is sweet
It's not a cheap bike, it's 2019, carbon and decked out with SRAM ASX.... it's still not a good bike though

Flow-Rider

Burner
There's 3 Scott Sparks in one of the groups I ride with and never a problem, I would change mechanics. The early carbon ones around 2011 models were prone to cracking but the newer models are much better. I'd say you're getting a run down bike for 1k, I would try to stretch the budget to 2.5k and jump on a brand new Polygon.

moorey

call me Mia
There's 3 Scott Sparks in one of the groups I ride with and never a problem, I would change mechanics. The early carbon ones around 2011 models were prone to cracking but the newer models are much better. I'd say you're getting a run down bike for 1k, I would try to stretch the budget to 2.5k and jump on a brand new Polygon.
A $2.5k polygon has pretty shit parts and no lightweight. Would 100% go a good used bike for that cash. If not covid, you’d pick up a magnificent older bike for that or less. @aero165 just picked up my mates mint 2017 spitty for that with hope hoops, Mattocs and XT

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Certainly before Covid you could get a good second hand alu 27.5 Anthem for about $1k. They are a very capable bike if you know how to ride. Spares are plentiful, bearings available at the local bearing shop and the shock is a standard size. It will make for a fun XC bike that will still do any double black trail (up or down) if you ride it with some finesse and will pedal almost as good as a hardtail on those 200km mountain epics.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A $2.5k polygon has pretty shit parts and no lightweight. Would 100% go a good used bike for that cash. If not covid, you’d pick up a magnificent older bike for that or less. @aero165 just picked up my mates mint 2017 spitty for that with hope hoops, Mattocs and XT
You at least have warranty and trying to find cheap parts now is getting hard, you might find something ok but from my experience they always need more money spent on them. If you're also using a LBS to do your work it's going to become costly in the end.

moorey

call me Mia
You at least have warranty and trying to find cheap parts now is getting hard, you might find something ok but from my experience they always need more money spent on them. If you're also using a LBS to do your work it's going to become costly in the end.
I don’t expect that quick warrant support is going to be that easy on a bike with an online sales model.
I’d be more inclined to say that a new $2500 bike needs more money immediately spent on it than a well purchased 5-6 yo bike that has been loved, looked after and upgraded (which I’ll admit rules out 99% of gumtree and FB bikes, but they’re out there)