Not happy with insurance repair offer. What are my options?

Plow King

Little bit.
This is going to be very undetailed so it doesnt effect the insurance result outcome (not that it should) but basically I had an accident recently (not my fault) in which I was t boned. The actual b pillar has been damaged and they want to repair/replace that part. I honestly thought that as soon as that was Damaged the car was written off. now basically I do not want to have such a major structural part of the car simpily choppes off and replaced. I will not feel safe driving it nor do I want them to do that I would rather start a fresh. Basically the insurance has said you can either get it repaired or we will give you the quote to get it repaired. The car is insured for 20 and they have given me a repair quote of 9. Now there are still a number of things missing from that quote that I believe need doing. Mainly due to a window being smashed and alot of rain entering the car as it was 3 hours before it was undercover. This time also includes around 30mins on a flatbed with a 100kph freeway.

Now I have contacted the ombudsman and they have referred me to another group that deals with these sorts of thibgs. Im due to speak to the insurance assessors manager on monday. Has anybody got any advice for me? It seems abit shithouae that I get nailed by someone. I get no say in what happebs and then they make me wait 5 weeks until it would be fixed anyway. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
Now I have contacted the ombudsman and they have referred me to another group that deals with these sorts of thibgs. Im due to speak to the insurance assessors manager on monday. Has anybody got any advice for me? It seems abit shithouae that I get nailed by someone. I get no say in what happebs and then they make me wait 5 weeks until it would be fixed anyway. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Document EVERYTHING, and ask them to put all of their responses in writing. I had a home insurance fiasco that went to the ombudsman. The ombudsman ruled that the insurance company had not acted in good faith when dealing with my claim. One of the key factors was the detail and number of notes that I had taken regarding my claim... things like not calling back when they said they would, not sending me an email detailing why my claim was being denied etc actually meant something when it came to deciding whether I should get my payout or not.
Oh, and never give up!
It took 12 months before my matter was settled, but the extra cash in my pocket certainly didn't hurt!

Plow King

Little bit.
Document EVERYTHING, and ask them to put all of their responses in writing. I had a home insurance fiasco that went to the ombudsman. The ombudsman ruled that the insurance company had not acted in good faith when dealing with my claim. One of the key factors was the detail and number of notes that I had taken regarding my claim... things like not calling back when they said they would, not sending me an email detailing why my claim was being denied etc actually meant something when it came to deciding whether I should get my payout or not.
Oh, and never give up!
It took 12 months before my matter was settled, but the extra cash in my pocket certainly didn't hurt!

Cheers will do mate.

I was meant to recieve a call with the info yesterday and they were meant to inspect it then but never did. I had to call up and chase it up today and they had inspected it. Also they havnt helped me in the slightest in obtaining a hire car. They have simpily tried to charge me for one even though the other guy fucking hit me. So I had to call the other guys insirance company and try and arrange it. But he hasnt paid the excess so they cant give me one. What the fuck do ai pay these people over $1000 a year to do.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Cheers will do mate.

I was meant to recieve a call with the info yesterday and they were meant to inspect it then but never did. I had to call up and chase it up today and they had inspected it. Also they havnt helped me in the slightest in obtaining a hire car. They have simpily tried to charge me for one even though the other guy fucking hit me. So I had to call the other guys insirance company and try and arrange it. But he hasnt paid the excess so they cant give me one. What the fuck do ai pay these people over $1000 a year to do.
Getting everything in writing is a great idea, Any phone conversations prior ask if it is/can be record and the receipt number given to you. I'm not sure how many insurance companies have this ability but it might be worth finding out. Of course this option can be a double edge sword, if they are great with their service, well than it might work against you more than for you. However if they do suck well it should help.

Just something to consider.

Ivan

Eats Squid
PlowKing,

If its the car I'm thinking of, then I am crying on the inside for you.

Read your insurance contract, and get a clear understanding of what you're entitled to for your $1000 premium. Some policies don't entitle you to much, others are a lot better.

Also, if your concerned that B Pillar replacement is dodgy, then maybe call and speak to an engineer at the RTA/vicroads.

Last edited:

Plow King

Little bit.
Unfortunatly it is that car, but could you please edit out what type of car it is just to avoid potential bullshjt. And thats a great idea. I will give them a buzz later on.

Cheers

wavike

Likes Dirt
PlowKing,

If its the car I'm thinking of, then I am crying on the inside for you.

Read your insurance contract, and get a clear understanding of what you're entitled to for your $1000 premium. Some policies don't entitle you to much, others are a lot better.

I've only had one major claim years ago - car stolen, found trashed & write-off. Policy document said insured for amount equal to caryard price in major city. They offered me 1/2 off what I expected under the policy, got them up to 2/3rds. I ensured my new car with another firm. Wife's renewal with old firm arrived later - 3 times previous years premium. I'd be interested to hear what firm you're with. You don't know whcih one's are any good until it comes time to claim and then it's too late. See lots of firms advertising their cheap rates but what you really get for the money is the catch.

g3rg

Likes Bikes
I work in the IT department of a large insurance company group, and agree you really really really need to read the full PDS about what is and isn't covered. Especially on those offering the cheaper premiums. Not saying the companies won't try and weasel out of some things that should be covered, but a lot of it is covered in the PDS, or they'd be up for a lot of fines from the industry watch dogs...

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
If you need a car, go to a company called Compass Claims. I have used them and a few friends have used them also. They can usually get you a car and then they chase the insurance company for you. You basicly don't have to do anything, just give them your claim details and sign some forms and the look after the rest. Give them a call and see what they can do for you. Can't hurt to ask.

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
The insurance industry has changed, they will now do anything not to write a car off because they can no longer recoup any money by selling them as repairable write offs.
Eg, my mates car was worth 18k the damage bill was 12k the front left wheel had been ripped off and destroyed the steering rack not to mention panel damage etc.
They repaired it.
They also used a second Gand steering rack which left him with a massive vibration while driving.
They then said it was normal, he was imagining it, it was a different part that was causing the vibration and it wasn't there problem it was normal where and tear.

He had independent mechanic reports done etc.

It took him a month and a half and theeat if going to the media before it got sorted out with guess what a new genuine toyota steering rack.
Problem solved.
That was budget direct by the way.

In short read your pds, if your worried about structural integrity get a independent inspection and fight your hardest.
Then there is always today tonight etc, they always live a good insurance story.

Plow King

Little bit.
Ok thanks guys

The assessor was actually from my insurance company. I was not at fault. Would you reccomend that I start demanding that all things that have possible been damaged to be replaced until it is concidered a write off. I have a long list of shit that isnt covered on the repair quote that I want included. Interior replacement electronics replacement. Interior plastics replacement etc.

dmwill

Likes Dirt
The car is insured for 20 and they have given me a repair quote of 9. Now there are still a number of things missing from that quote that I believe need doing....
This is where insurers instruct repairers to cut corners and take shortcuts to save a bit of money.

Had some rear quarter damage on my car. I never saw what the repair bill was, but after two return visits, I'd be willing to bet it cost more than the "agreed value" of my car.

Upon collection of my car, I noticed the paint was bridged between the quarter panel and the bumper (there should be a fine line/gap between the two parts). After much argument, the insurance company admitted they instructed the repairer not to remove the bumper for painting in a bid to save some money. Similar story for lots of small trim pieces etc (poorly masked off rather than removed and refitted). Was an expensive exercise for them to remove everything properly, strip back paint etc and redo.

When they did remove and refit the bumper, they used general hardware screws as opposed to the original factory clips/screws - this was probably more out of sheer laziness than anything, but it was an extra cost to the insurance company once again when I complained.

Poor job by the insurer by saving money and their unwillingness to do a quality check of the repair work after. Also a poor job the the repairer who should have known better and done the job properly regarless what the insurance company says.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Peronsally yes go over it with a fine tooth comb and tell them every little thing that needs to be replaced under the crash. What about getting an Independant assessment that includes all the stuff, ate set that can give you some legitimate proffesional evidence that yes these things need to be fixed.

The poster about his mates steering that is pathetic, taking note never going with them.

Plow King

Little bit.
Ok guys. So the accesors manager is calling up on Monday. Ill mention the ombudsman. That I demand all repairs are spot on as well as requesting all the other potential problems I want resolved. That im still not happy as I dont deem that to be a safe repair or that they're filling their obligations and also the fact their responses have been delayed and I havw had to go chasing around everywhere.

Any other pointers are handy

Plow King

Little bit.
Bit of a dig. Thanks for all the opinions guys. Someone ended up offering to make up the 12k difference between the cost of repairs and 21k ot was insured for

I ended up with this. I hate to say it. But is far and away 100x better than the sti. Sounds and looks like crap though!

Ivan

Eats Squid
I don't know how to differentiate between the hot Mitsi's, but is it an EVO or a Ralliart? TCCst or Manual?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For what it's worth, I've had to make claims with both Shannons and CGU and never been stuffed around at all, even slightly. Consider paying a tiny bit more (perhaps) for your next policy.