Not Puffing

mimps

Likes Dirt
Hi All

Ive just got a question, i find that when i ride to work i average about 24kmph over about 30 minutes but during that time im rarely breathing hard but my legs are burning. and i do not consider myself fit.

Am i doing something wrong? not sure of my cadence but i try to keep highish.

Cheers Mitch

moorey

call me Mia
Hi All

Ive just got a question, i find that when i ride to work i average about 24kmph over about 30 minutes but during that time im rarely breathing hard but my legs are burning. and i do not consider myself fit.

Am i doing something wrong? not sure of my cadence but i try to keep highish.

Cheers Mitch
If you're note particularly fit, I'd guess its just lactic acid build up. I've been commuting similar times each way for the last 12 months. Started off averaging 22khp on MTB and was fucked afterwards, now averaging up to 28-29kph, still on heavy mtb, and feeling fresh at the end. How long you been doing this for?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Really interesting question and the answer is related to this statement:

I'm rarely breathing hard but my legs are burning. and i do not consider myself fit.
Mitochondria live in mostly in slow twitch muscle fibres and create energy by using oxygen. When you do a sustained aerobic activity such as cycling, you typically relying on slow twitch fibres which as great for endurance because they can create a decent amount of sustained energy. As they absorb oxygen from the blood stream, the co2 level rises in the blood stream, this is detected through receptors and this is the driver for you to breath harder.

The nature of fast twich fibres, means they are stronger and can provide more energy faster, but can not provide a sustained energy source (they deplete or cause lactic acid).

Why can you ride for 30 minutes, not breath hard and have burning legs - because you are unfit. Basically, you don't have enough mitochondria and capillaries to supply them o2 in your slow twitch muscles - they can't keep up with energy demands. So you rely on a faster source of energy which creates lactate as a by product (not quite as simple as that), this gives your legs a burning and often hard feeling.

I'll wager 2 things, the ride to work is pretty flat? and you are going just slightly faster than you should (to be relying on aerobic energy system), so you only slightly in an anaerobic state.

Slow down a little, if this is an issue, on longer rides I certainly imagine it would be.

mimps

Likes Dirt
Yeah its pretty much dead flat. i started off at about 38 minutes and have already brought it down to 32 minutes.

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
I'd suspect a low cadence first off. For road riding you want to aim at 80-90rpm. You can tell pretty easily if your legs seem to be labouring or spinning freely - you want to me closer to the spinning freely end of things (not too far though!)

The other option I'd strongly suspect is seat position, depending on which part of your leg is burning. If it's the quads, then your seat could be too low or in the wrong fore-aft position. If you straighten your leg with the pedal directly in it's lowest position your heel should be resting on it. That way, when the ball of your foot is on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke your knee will only be slightly bent. You want to avoid over extending it or any sort of rocking in the hips when pedalling (especially under load when most people tend to drop their heels a bit). A seat even 1cm too low will cause your quads to burn after a bit.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Consider your bike position too, if your seat is too low it will work your quads more.
I have the same thing, I can ride downhill easily but as soon as I jump on the trainer and do 1hour my lungs and heart rate can keep up but legs cant. A good indicator though is your heart rate or power out put. You can feel like your heart and lungs are not working as hard but chances are you have dropped off the power/cadence/intensity. I find that when the legs start burning if I maintain the same cardio with the same resistance level my Hr begins rising. If I drop the intensity or cadence the heart rate will come back down and feel comfortable.

So while it feels like you are not struggling chances are you have actually lowered your power out put and overall effort without realizing or the heart rate has increased a few BPM. Its why people pend long hours building a base preseason.

mimps

Likes Dirt
Ive taken some of the advice here and upped my seat about 2cm, quads felt good, felt like my lungs were hurting a bit. knocked 1 minute off my commute to work and thats without riding for 3 weeks. so looks like it worked. 24.2kmph.

Always room for improvement.