Novatec 5Pawl 12X148 hubs

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I can't find much info on them. Anyone running one and can tell me how they go? I'm looking at a cheap wheelset for a backup and they run these hubs.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Not sure of my rear hub model no. - but I've had Novatec hubs on my hardtail for 5 years or so. Did have an issue early on - the hub was replaced under warranty after something to do with the pawls gave way and lost all engagement - but that was in the first year. Have been solid since. Not the most exciting hub, but get the job done.

In fact, I think the the wheelset that came with my Process is also debadged Novatec hubs. Also fine, do the job - no problems in almost 3 years.

80JPL

Cannon Fodder
DMan, I replied in your other thread, but I originally had a 6 pawl Novatec hub which only lasted two months before failing. It was replaced under bike warranty for a DT370.

It was a fairly common problem for that wheelset apparently.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Novatec make many different hubs. The fronts are bulletproof. The rears less so depending on model. The lighter rear hubs use a 15mm aluminium axle which is too flexy for aggressive riding and when combined with the aluminium freehub will break in short order.

The hubs with the steel axle are solid even when combined with the aluminium freehub.