NSW Bushfires 17/10

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Hi guys, thanks for the concern, we just got power back on yesterday, it has been a hell four days, 4 houses next to us levelled to the ground, five seriuosly damaged, we just got out of it, dont ask how, we have had sticky beaks deluxe, and 2 cases of looting, one in broad daylight, the other a motorbike on sunday night( i got his plate and dobbed him, from st clair, so good riddance dickhead), and now it looks like the fires are on again, choppers above our heads are an ominous sign!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Yes, the information put out by authorities is incredible compared to what it used to be, but it is still designed to keep the general populace in a state of readiness/semi-panic, so they are compliant.
Better to be ready then dead.

Over stating the danger and preparing for the worst has got to be better then being caught with your pants down.

I reckon the information we had up here was nothing short of awesome considering the size and dynamic nature of the blaze

hathill

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, thanks for the concern, we just got power back on yesterday, it has been a hell four days, 4 houses next to us levelled to the ground, five seriuosly damaged, we just got out of it, dont ask how, we have had sticky beaks deluxe, and 2 cases of looting, one in broad daylight, the other a motorbike on sunday night( i got his plate and dobbed him, from st clair, so good riddance dickhead), and now it looks like the fires are on again, choppers above our heads are an ominous sign!
Good to see you back on deck Todd - hopefully nothing tooserious happens this afternoon.
Friends have just been kicked out of the house in Bland Road.

0psi

Eats Squid
We're back! Hanging out down at the mother in laws place now.

I think it's a little misleading looking at it from a distance. We got the phone call telling us to shelter as the fire approaches blah blah but you wouldn't really know there was that much going on if it weren't for the firetrucks and skycranes. Not a heap of smoke or anything like that. Wind is a bit of a worry, I think the official term is 'blowy as fuck'. On the positive though, it looks like the worst of it is contained to a fairly small area, not like last week when it moved all over the place and it seems like the giant State Mine fire hasn't become the beast they said it would.

Anyway, we're all good and pretty happy now. If anyone is still tossing up staying or leaving, just leave. We were a bit on edge hanging around at home but it's just another day down here. Hung out at the bike shop for a bit, talked shit, deciding what crap to eat for dinner now. Hopefully we'll be back home later tonight.

DeBloot

Feeling old
The coordination of resources and support from other areas and states up here is phenomenal
We've had stationary crews + others roaming around all day just in Nth Wenty alone
Plus police making sure no small cocks looking for easy pickings

The warnings etc may seem a bit alarmist outside of the main fire fronts
But I think the real message is 'if you can't handle the pressure, it's time to leave'

I live right in the heart of all this chaos at Winmalee and these sky cranes are an awesome sight flying 50 meters over my roof. Although Im getting a bit sick of the constant sound by all the choppers in the air.

hathill

Likes Dirt
The coordination of resources and support from other areas and states up here is phenomenal
We've had stationary crews + others roaming around all day just in Nth Wenty alone
Plus police making sure no small cocks looking for easy pickings

The warnings etc may seem a bit alarmist outside of the main fire fronts
But I think the real message is 'if you can't handle the pressure, it's time to leave'
Thought you were bailing out Mr Bloot?
Windy day, I was waiting for another mains clash to start something closer to me rather than the main front heading north west.
Lots of odd jobs done around the house now though.....

JP

Likes Dirt
It's good that the "mega fire" did not eventuate, and I'm super glad everyone is OK. It's cooling down here at Winmalee which is good too.

Here's a couple of pics from behind our house on Saturday around lunchtime. The bush that is burning is The Grotto area behind St. Columbas. My vegie garden and woodpile remained unscathed!

Attachments

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Pretty amazing pics there JP.
How do you think tomorrow will go? I'm out the north western end of Winmalee in behind the fireshed. The last fire (6 odd weeks ago) came right up to our back fence, so its been burned recently. Problem I see now is all the leaves on the trees have died and are falling in this wind - looking over my fence there is a lot of brown through the canopy.
Not sure whether to go to work tomorrow or stay, not that I could really do anything anyway...... I think I'll just go to work and hope for the best.
I'm guessing Todd's not-so-secret singletrack is pretty burned out?

JP

Likes Dirt
How do you think tomorrow will go? I'm out the north western end of Winmalee in behind the fireshed. The last fire (6 odd weeks ago) came right up to our back fence, so its been burned recently. Problem I see now is all the leaves on the trees have died and are falling in this wind - looking over my fence there is a lot of brown through the canopy.
Not sure whether to go to work tomorrow or stay, not that I could really do anything anyway...... I think I'll just go to work and hope for the best.
I'm guessing Todd's not-so-secret singletrack is pretty burned out?
I can't see you getting much fire action having copped it so recently Ian. Forecast is for 21 degrees tomorrow! Unreal how it can be a 14 degree difference in the space of a week.

wombat

Lives in a hole
How do you think tomorrow will go?
Concern seems to have shifted to areas north of the fires because of the shifting winds.Hawkesbury areas like Yarramundi, Grose Vale/Wold and Bowen Mountain. Fingers crossed the strong winds don't last too long though.

Interesting that the RFS have officially blamed Defence for the State Mine fire too.

0psi

Eats Squid
Interesting that the RFS have officially blamed Defence for the State Mine fire too.
Sort of, ADF admitted to RFS that they started the fire. From what I gather they were doing live ordinance training.

Today couldn't have really gone much better though. Didn't have to leave, glad I did. Wind looks like it will be going away from me for a while so it's back to business as usual. Win.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Thought you were bailing out Mr Bloot?
Windy day, I was waiting for another mains clash to start something closer to me rather than the main front heading north west.
Lots of odd jobs done around the house now though.....
I hung around and then bailed around lunch for a few hours down to the riff
Went to Blackmans, telstra, and officeworks to get a few things
I'd seen the large presence in our street and saw there was no immediate danger on my phone apps
So rather than hang around in the Penrith heat, came home

I promised my wife i would leave by lunch, but i won't leave in the same circumstances next time
i actually relaxed once Michelle left and felt OK with staying to defend against embers
of course, if it ever comes to being told to leave, I will

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That bit of rain made a huge difference... sat around doing nothing today as did a whole heap of pumpers. If that rain hadn't happened it would have been a mess of a day for sure.. maybe not the Armageddon that was being implied but pretty awful.

Lets hope we get some more rain to finish off the remaining fires and make things a little less dry and fuel like.