NSW Enduro Series - Singletrack Mind

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Thumbs up guys... really enjoyed the day !!!
.. and props to the locals for putting the track together... definitely as much fun as I remember it being.

Highlight of the day was following Nicole Lancaster (Im pretty sure it was her) through the long downhill run on the back half of the course and through the jumps... what a machine !!!!

wazza2795

Likes Bikes
well done

Well done chocolate foot and all the boys and girls at ctmbc what a great start to a new series see you all at the next round:)

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
Lidsdale is such an awesome track to open the series with.
Big challenge for the other clubs to match.

Weather was great, track was great, and the event ran smoothly.
Next to no rubbish out on the course which was great to see.
Raises the question, with almost all the big guns at Avoca, are they the litterers??:confused:

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Thanks Chocolate Foot for putting on such an awesome event, really well run and heaps of punishing fun, looking forward to the next one.

Highlights
- CTMTB – an incredibly friendly and helpful club and the volunteer marshals out on the course, you guys were amazing
- The SRAM guys changing my gear before race start, wouldn’t have survived as long on my silly gear choice
- All the competitors out there, passing was done with patience and skill
- Alchemist and Dreggsy for your support throughout, you either got me over a hill or out for another lap
- The guys from Wolf Tae Kwon Do, even though we’d only met, thanks for being my “encouragement” crew.

Lowlights
The nob that just HAD to pass me when there was no room and pushed me off the track. Nice work mate.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Alchemist and Dreggsy for your support throughout, you either got me over a hill or out for another lap
I thought I was going to have to apologise for that - lost count how many times I've walked that hill on the SS. Very nice effort. Hope you found someone to hold the towel.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Lowlights
The nob that just HAD to pass me when there was no room and pushed me off the track. Nice work mate.
There is always 1...

Actually I didn't see to much of that this weekend though I will apologies to the girl I past coming up the Squiggles late in the day. I called "rider after these bumps if it's ok" and I thought she said "now on the right" but when I pulled out and made a sketchy over taking move in the scrub breaking both our rhythm up that hill I reflected that maybe she said "Alright" and expect me to wait a bit longer.... If so sorry

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
There is always 1...
I think this was one of the better ones... there was only 1 incident for me during the entire race. Was behind a lady in a set of switchbacks about 100m from the fireroad. She didn't appear that confident and I knew I'd get past on the fireroad. I heard a rider behind who seemed to be sitting there.

Him... 'Gees mate, are you going to let us through or not?'
Me... 'Theres someone slower in front and no room to get past both of us'
Her... 'Oh I'm really sorry for holding you up' (bike wobbles begin as she looks for somewhere to go)
Me (to her)... 'Don't worry, his job to pass not yours to let him. There's fireroad in a sec

We hit the fireroad

Me (to him) 'There you go mate'
Him... 'About f'n time'

Charming.

Then had a loud conversation about some people and the sheep station thats riding on whether they finish 20th or 21st... (he didn't pull away that quickly after all the fuss).

There is always 1 but thankfully, it was only 1 :)

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Raises the question, with almost all the big guns at Avoca, are they the litterers??:confused:
I saw a few gel wrappers out there, from one brand in particular, but not too many.

Kris_on_1 said:
Lowlights
That's still one nob too many, but I thought the overall passing vibe out there was pretty good. Low track density helps there, but the mood seemed good all day.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I don't know, but there was a tonne of rubbish on the avoca course, including (somewhat disappointingly) a number of Endura Bottles with Fuzzy Afro guy on them in places you couldn't imagine accidently dropping a bottle and not noticing...

Cheers
Spoonie

thecat

I
Then had a loud conversation about some people and the sheep station thats riding on whether they finish 20th or 21st...
Some people need to realise that with droughts and floods imaginary sheep stations are worth less than ever now days

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
I thought I was going to have to apologise for that - lost count how many times I've walked that hill on the SS. Very nice effort.
It's amazing the difference it makes when someone is yelling at you (encouraging you) to get to the top of a hill. Makes is so much harder to get off and walk. Between you and the guys at the top, I made it 7 times. I walked the 8th

That's still one nob too many, but I thought the overall passing vibe out there was pretty good. Low track density helps there, but the mood seemed good all day.
I agree with the vibe for the remainder of the riders out there. Everyone else was fantastic. Sadly though, the one can have a huge impact on someone having a go at another race.

From my perspective, I’m reasonably confident on a bike and have turned up at a few races, so I’m not frightened of being passed, or timid in telling someone to wait. As a sport that is always trying to encourage more women to have a go, it is disappointing that it still happens.

I’m not asking for anyone and everyone coming up behind a female to wait for a space the size of a freeway before passing, I would hope that by now people (because I did see one female with some questionable passing skills) can recognise when the person they are passing isn’t as confident as they are.

Wow, the view from the soapbox is spectacular

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
or timid in telling someone to wait
Or at yelling at me to pass even when I'm climbing just as slowly as you. :)

As a sport that is always trying to encourage more women to have a go, it is disappointing that it still happens.
I like the concept of the "no dickheads policy" that Joe talked about in the briefing, but it can be hard to police out there. If you've just been shoved off your bike, it can be hard to identify the culprit if your immediate concern is avoiding that tree.

thecat

I wonder if it was the same guy with agro face on who over took a girl (mid pack by the way) at the top of Squiggles on the first lap in front of every one.

Marti: "I didn't hear track!"
every one else: "Dick head!"

The move itself wasn't too bad but fair dink how hard is it to call, whether your passing on single trail or fire rd makes no difference chances are the rider you are passing hasn't got ESP so use your voice.

Last edited:

Boreit

Likes Dirt
Solo identification?

the solo ID's used at the jet black 24hr may help to remind these road hogs that some respect needs to be shown to other riders.... respect for the ladies on course should be common sense shouldnt it? funny when you get some twit ask for track on an uphill single track section where there is no where to go?

laying down the law & saying litterers would be disqualified was a great call. that should be the deal at all rides. the 24hr nationals was a disgrace, remember some clown throwing his gel wrapper down in front of me, about 80m before the trash can on the end of straight! he gave me his number when i asked for it too - number #*..... haha

thecat

the solo ID's used at the jet black 24hr may help to remind these road hogs that some respect needs to be shown to other riders....
I don' think soloist need special attention, if you respect everyone on the track then soloist automatically get respect too:eek:

bear the bear

Is a real bear
the solo ID's used at the jet black 24hr may help to remind these road hogs that some respect needs to be shown to other riders.... respect for the ladies on course should be common sense shouldnt it? funny when you get some twit ask for track on an uphill single track section where there is no where to go?

laying down the law & saying litterers would be disqualified was a great call. that should be the deal at all rides. the 24hr nationals was a disgrace, remember some clown throwing his gel wrapper down in front of me, about 80m before the trash can on the end of straight! he gave me his number when i asked for it too - number #*..... haha
I've said this in the past about numbers in general and still don't understand why MTB races don't use numbers on the rear. Aside from the id'ing of dickheads it makes working out who you fellow riders are in your category alot easier ... also if the number is a duplicate of your front plate being able to go

"Hi Fred, can I please get track when you can?"

rather than,

"Track!"

or "Rider back!" etc

Just my 2cents worth.

The Bear

wazza2795

Likes Bikes
respect to riders

Hi Guys and girls

As a soloist out there on the weekend and 1 that was doing it quite hard and thus having to do my far share of moving over for faster riders or fresher riders. I can say that due to the lower rider density it was the best rider behavior I have come across there where still some clowns out that thought they owned the track and could past where and when ever they wanted but after 18 years in and out of the sport I think there will always be some that think as they are quicker than you are they have the right to pass where ever and when ever they want.

All we can do is keep trying to educate them on better rider behavior and more polite passing in the future.

Cheers

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
The Mont used rear numbers this year, and it was great for all the reasons mentioned above.
When someone passed you, a quick look at the number let you know if they are in your category, and if they did something stupid while going passed, you could shame them back at transition.
It seemed to keep riders much more polite out on track.

But again, it will never be perfect out there, and hopefully if enough people set the GOOD example, it will err on the positive.

matt36415

Likes Dirt
Although there are lots of positive comments about the race and the great job done by Fiona and the lithgow club people in organising the race - there seem to be lots of negatives too, MTB racing and especially the enduro events are usually so friendly - people go because they love riding and know that a few seconds behind someone slower is a few seconds rest -

I hope the friendly atmosphere of our sport isn't drifting away

Cap

Likes Dirt
Not to defend or attack anyone but I think this passing thing goes both ways. There are plenty of instances where a slower rider is "the dickhead" in every race just as much as the faster or passing one. I don't think you are ever going to make everybody happy at every event like this. I think if both parties use respect, common sense and manners, then you wouldn't have many complaints. If I'm passing I generally call out well in advance or call "when you're ready" or "when it's safe". If a faster rider is approaching me from behind I can generally sense and hear them coming anyway so I'm already making plans to move aside with the least fuss for both of us. I'm not saying it's easy if the approaching rider is doing 3 times the speed you are but I've never had an issue letting a faster rider through. It's a two way street and a common courtesy should go both ways. In saying all that, I found most people on track yesterday were really good about it and there was lots of verbal encouragement from other riders. Great event!