XC Nukeproof Digger 2022

teK--

Eats Squid
Got bitten by the gravel bug... I blame El Nina and this neverending shitstorm of wet weather.

Sold the roadie which has been hanging up on the wall for years. It's more dangerous riding on the road than it is screaming down double blacks, right? :confused:

Post reserved for a new toy which is on its way:

Frame - Nukeproof Digger Aluminium 2022 Medium
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Rudy Ultimate 30mm
Handlebars - Ergon Vibrocore 420mm
Stem - Nukeproof Horizon 60mm
Headset - Nukeproof Warhead
Grips - Fizik Terra Microtex Bondcush Tacky
Saddle - Ergon SR Allroad Core Pro
Seatpost - Brand X Ascend 125mm dropper
Front brake - Shimano GRX400 hydraulic disc, 160mm
Rear brake - Shimano GRX400 hydraulic disc, 160mm
Cranks - Shimano GRX600 1x11, 170mm, 40T
Chain - KMC X11
Pedals - Shimano SPD540
Rear derailleur - Shimano GRX-812
Rear shifter - Shimano GRX600
Cassette - Shimano XT 11S 11-46
Front hub - DT Swiss 350 12x100
Rear hub - DT Swiss 350 18T 12x142
Front rim - DT Swiss GR1600 24S
Rear rim - DT Swiss GR1600 24S
Spokes - DT Swiss Aero Comp
Nipples - DT Swiss Squorx Alu
Tyres - Schwalbe G-One Bite 45 (R), 50 (F)
Tubes - Tubeless
Total weight - 11.8Kg

After much reading and asking around this seems to be the best BFB for around $2,500, and for this year they have done the usual longer/slacker treatment to make it ride close to a mountain bike. Just wanted something to keep the legs turning and not have to spend hours cleaning and servicing after those wintery rides.

Looks something like this on the website:

Nukeproof-Digger-Comp-Alloy-Bike-Cookie-Dough-01.jpg

Probably won't look exactly like the pic once various parts are swapped or added (more boxes on their way haha!):

304828672_2069372636599307_1947753463702304037_n.jpg

Maybe it will allow me to be as rad as this, or not:

Who else has taken the plunge into Gravel land???

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
This was on my list for a commuter/gravel bike but ended with a Merida Silex which I got off someone who brought it during Covid rode it 4 times then brought an ebike. So got it for $1300, is like new and has the current spec as this year’s model, the Diggers are a great looking bike with a great spec for the price I think you’ll have fun with it.

teK--

Eats Squid
This was on my list for a commuter/gravel bike but ended with a Merida Silex which I got off someone who brought it during Covid rode it 4 times then brought an ebike. So got it for $1300, is like new and has the current spec as this year’s model, the Diggers are a great looking bike with a great spec for the price I think you’ll have fun with it.
I was looking at them too, it sounds like you got a great deal.

Have you taken it off road yet?

I'm intrigued how these things go on some green and blue rated singletrack

cammas

Seamstress
I was looking at them too, it sounds like you got a great deal.

Have you taken it off road yet?

I'm intrigued how these things go on some green and blue rated singletrack
Not yet just coming back from injury but have put in about 100k’s of commuting and so far very happy with it, may yet change the bars for something wider.

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
I’m doing this with a Cotic Solaris Max, riser bars & a Chinese rigid fork.
Inspired by a guy that won the S/S at the first Dragon Trail race.
Pretty sure it’s going to terrify me

teK--

Eats Squid
DHL Express FTW! They get shit from the UK to here, faster than it takes Auspost to get a package from VIC to SA...

Just a quick unpack and slap it together roughly. Will go through properly and set it up then report back.

On first impression the frame build quality is really good... just check out these welds!

20220920_111719.jpg

20220920_120134.jpg

teK--

Eats Squid
Finally built up, sans a couple of extra other bits which haven't arrived yet.

There is no pre-cut frameskin type kit for this frame, so had to get out the knife on some 3M copter tape and do some arts and crafts.

Felt like such a n00b. I initially had the drop bars pointing allsorts wrong angles and got laughed at. Luckily was able to fix this before leaving home.

20220923_194100.jpg

First outing went for a big loop around King Lake, 1,200m/50Kms and the bike felt good overall.

Brakes are strong enough and I'm glad someone recommended I swap out the 11-42 cassette for an 11-46.

Handling sure feels sketchy on loose gravel and nearly went OTB on some rutted singletrack. I suppose that's why some people have dropper posts on their gravel bikes, as it's weird trying to get weight back and being poked in the butt.

Will get better with confidence I'm sure. So far haven't found the limit of the tyres yet!

The flare bars are 460 wide at the hood clamps, 150mm drop, 100mm reach. They are way too big for this medium sized frame so I have something else on its way. As a result I could only use hoods and flats comfortably, which made the technical descents that much harder.

So far, having fun!

received_1528351507601050.jpg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Finally built up, sans a couple of extra other bits which haven't arrived yet.

There is no pre-cut frameskin type kit for this frame, so had to get out the knife on some 3M copter tape and do some arts and crafts.

Felt like such a n00b. I initially had the drop bars pointing allsorts wrong angles and got laughed at. Luckily was able to fix this before leaving home.

View attachment 393030

First outing went for a big loop around King Lake, 1,200m/50Kms and the bike felt good overall.

Brakes are strong enough and I'm glad someone recommended I swap out the 11-42 cassette for an 11-46.

Handling sure feels sketchy on loose gravel and nearly went OTB on some rutted singletrack. I suppose that's why some people have dropper posts on their gravel bikes, as it's weird trying to get weight back and being poked in the butt.

Will get better with confidence I'm sure. So far haven't found the limit of the tyres yet!

The flare bars are 460 wide at the hood clamps, 150mm drop, 100mm reach. They are way too big for this medium sized frame so I have something else on its way. As a result I could only use hoods and flats comfortably, which made the technical descents that much harder.

So far, having fun!

View attachment 393031
Dropper posts make a massive difference as you can let the bike bounce around underneath you a lot more which helps you 'ride lighter', but the main improvement I find is for cornering while on gravel as you can lean the bike over so much more easily. Highly recommend adding one.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
I haven't had much of a chance to ride but I'm liking the Digger as well. Bit of a price drop from CRC made my decision to get this model. Already want a longer dropper on it. Seems to handle the easy single track quite well but I need to put some more Km on it. Size XL
1668652003118.png

teK--

Eats Squid
I haven't had much of a chance to ride but I'm liking the Digger as well. Bit of a price drop from CRC made my decision to get this model. Already want a longer dropper on it. Seems to handle the easy single track quite well but I need to put some more Km on it. Size XL
View attachment 394512
In hindsight I probably should have put in a bit more coin and just got your spec build, as it's some serious bang for buck. Oh well; hope you're loving it.

teK--

Eats Squid
Dropper posts make a massive difference as you can let the bike bounce around underneath you a lot more which helps you 'ride lighter', but the main improvement I find is for cornering while on gravel as you can lean the bike over so much more easily. Highly recommend adding one.
Went for a "gravel plus" ride basically going down some of of the blue trails at our local. Oh geez lots of pucker up moments and I ordered a dropper that night! other than that it was amazing how much speed could be gained on this bike when it was less rough...

Couldn't have asked for more clearance for the post length and also saddle bag:

20230101_162919.jpg

Ended up going for the 2X style lever which fit in quite nicely.

20230101_163610.jpg

teK--

Eats Squid
I hit a kangaroo the other day whilst blitzing down some singletrack! No pics unfortunately but it was rather dramatic.

Roo and I were both OK; just the bars got twisted around so that was easily fixed.

When I was checking the forks after for damage, I realised how shitty and short the steerer plug was. Shouldn't have been surprised really as every bike I've had with carbon steerers has woefully short plugs that don't fully support the steerer from the crushing forces of the stem.

Anyway, best you check yours and replace it with a longer one asap:

Attachments

teK--

Eats Squid
Took advantage of the CRC firesale on DT Swiss wheels, and picked up a set of GR1600 wheels for just above half price. These came up around 250g lighter than the stock wheelset, and feel quite a bit stiffer. They spin up more quickly but the front feels noticeably harsher on road buzz and small impacts.

Inevitably, a suspension fork then became a point of curiosity, and I basically have a hardtail with drop bars now LOL...

20230917_151543.jpg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Inevitably, a suspension fork then became a point of curiosity, and I basically have a hardtail with drop bars now LOL...
Get yourself some Lizard Skins DSP 3.2 bar tape (or 2.5), its absolute luxury and lasts a long time.

teK--

Eats Squid
Get yourself some Lizard Skins DSP 3.2 bar tape (or 2.5), its absolute luxury and lasts a long time.
thanks mate. Not too impressed with this Fizik Bondcush; it feels pretty good but it's already wearing through in patches, with less than 1000kms

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
thanks mate. Not too impressed with this Fizik Bondcush; it feels pretty good but it's already wearing through in patches, with less than 1000kms
I've used this bar tape on my Roadie, CX and adventure bike. Not cheap but worth the outlay.

cammas

Seamstress
If you’re going to replace your bar tape grab one of these Giant dropper levers, works from hoods or drops so no moving your hands. You can buy it directly from Knox Giant which is where I got mine and it works a treat, the only downside is that doesn’t come with the barrel adjuster but just use the one that came with your dropper which is what I did.

1694983996758.jpeg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If you’re going to replace your bar tape grab one of these Giant dropper levers, works from hoods or drops so no moving your hands. You can buy it directly from Knox Giant which is where I got mine and it works a treat, the only downside is that doesn’t come with the barrel adjuster but just use the one that came with your dropper which is what I did.

View attachment 402737
Where on the bars does that actually mount @cammas?