Nukeproof Scalp dominates at first round of British Downhill Series

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
New downhill rig piloted to victory at Nant Gwrtheyrn

The first round of the 2011 Halo British Downhill Series took place over the weekend at Nant Gwrtheyrn, north Wales, where no less than 19 riders were riding our brand new Nukeproof Scalp rig, or using Nukeproof’s 2011 components.

Highlights include Ben Kennedy’s podium topping performance in the Juvenile Men category on board the Scalp; Nukeproof Junior team riders Chris McGlinchy and Dan Sheridan taking second and third, respectively, in the Junior Men race, and Chain Reaction Cycles.com/Nukeproof team manager Nigel Page winning the Master Men race aboard the Team issue Scalp.

Read below for the full round-up of the weekend’s action, starting with the young rippers.

Junior Men
1st - Fraser McGlone (MTBCut - Nukeproof components)
2nd - Chris McGlinchy (Nukeproof Junior team - Complete bike)
3rd - Dan Sheridan (Nukeproof Junior team - complete bike)
4th - Lewis Buchanan (CRC/Nukeproof)

The top four spots in the Junior Men podium were taken by Nukeproof-supported riders, with Fraser McGlone (MTBCut/Nukeproof Components) taking the win with a time of 2:27.296 ahead of Nukeproof Junior team riders Chris McGlinchy and Dan Sheridan with ChainReactionCycles.com/Nukeproof team rider Lewis Buchanan finishing fourth.

It was an excellent start to the race season for Chris and Dan, who were riding the new Scalp for the first time under race conditions.

Chris, who finished in second with a time of 2:28.412 said: “I’m really happy with my result. I wasn’t sure what to expect coming into the first race, or if any of my training had paid off. It’s certainly given me a confidence boost and will keep me motivated for the rest of the season."

"I really enjoyed the track and the rain just made it better, my bike was running sweet all weekend. The only down side was trying to keep my goggles and gloves dry."

Dan Sheridan, who was just pipped into third with a time of 2:28.996 added: “I had a greet weekend at the first BDS. Saturday practice went well, it was great training with Chris as we could discuss and try lines together. A few crashes during practice but I was feeling fast and couldn’t wait to put a smasher of a race run together.”

“Sunday morning was completely different. The clear and sunny skies changed to foggy, rainy and cold, but the track was still riding great. My race run went great, I pinned the top bit almost perfectly, not 100% fast but I wanted to keep it fast and smooth and that’s exactly what I did. I went from being .004 off the win to 1.7 seconds and third place after a small mistake in the final section.”

“I really wasn’t expecting a podium for the weekend as it was packed with world-class riders. I’d have been delighted with the thought of getting 3rd place before the weekend but after knowing I was only .004 from winning I was very disappointed to know I threw away a possible win. But it’s a long year and definitely a great start to the season.”

“The Scalp went amazing all weekend and was loving the track! Great to have a big Nukeproof crew at the race giving lots of support! New Nema Socket goggles were mint too!”

Juvenile Men
1st Ben Kennedy (Nukeproof Scalp)
2nd Luke Cornforth (MBW Racing - Nukeproof components)
3rd Niall Oxley (Greatrock.co.uk - Nukeproof components)
4th - Jacob Dickson (MBW Racing - Nukeproof components)

Young Irish rider Ben Kennedy rode his Nukeproof Scalp to victory in the Juvenile Men race with a winning time of 2:44.190 ahead of Luke Cornforth, Niall Oxley and Jacob Dickson. Kennedy put in a faultless effort during his race run, and reinforced his reputation as ‘one to watch’ with his speed, line choice and skills on the day.

Ben said: “I had an amazing weekend and really enjoyed the track. The Scalp was amazing, riding mint all weekend. I didn't know what to expect - it was my first ever BDS so I'm really happy that I won.”

Youth Men
4th - Cameron Cornforth (MBW Racing - Nukeproof components)

Master Men
1st - Nigel Page (CRC/Nukeproof)
7th Michael Cowan (CRC - Scalp)
27th Damien Duggan (CRC - Scalp)

Veteran Men
3rd - Alastair MacLennan (Nukeproof Scalp)

Elite
5th - Joe Smith (CRC/Nukeproof)
7th - Matt Simmonds (CRC/Nukeproof)
8th - Matti Lehikoinen (CRC/Nukeproof)
11th - Rich Thomas (Molson World team - Scalp)
12th - Ben Cathro (MTBCut Nukeproof components)
19th - Joe Barnes (MTBCut Nukeproof components)