Numb hand solutions

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
got a bit of a double whammy with numb hands - nerve damage from chemo and back problems (t4 syndrome) mean I need all the help I can get in keeping feeling. Gone plus tyres on the new bike but I dont like the grips that came stock so that seems like a place to start. ODI rogues get a few mentions. Ergon as well but seems they don't last two well with the single lock ring.
Spank vibrocore also get a nod. Carbon bars seem to get some picks but can also be very stiff. Any other products I should look into? Renthal's with a bit more rise to minimise pressure?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ESI chunky are very good as well, I run them on all my bikes.
I have spent a fair bit of time adjusting my cockpits to minimise hand numbness. It’s often not just the grips, it’s more the handlebar height in relation to the saddle height and reach/ETT distance. It also depends on your body type ie long torso or long legs..
For me higher handle bars (more spacers & riser) solved a lot of the problems and a shorter stem to stop being streched out and putting weight on the bars. Also having the saddle as high as possible so my weight was on the seat rather than too high it pushes you forward onto the bars..
If your getting numb from descending with the seat out of the way, look more at the bar sweep/rise, grips and gloves.
Also you can try the old road trick of moving your hands into different positions when the trail allows it.. ie rest them on top of the brakes.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I used to get numb ring fingers and outer wrist (pretty much where the ulnar nerve runs). Turns out my bars needed to be rotated a bit more forward. Plus holding onto the bar with a looser grip.

Spank bars work well.
Oury Grips or Ergon GE1 are great.
Gloves with palm padding can help too but I found it's overkill. The gloves that I find comfortable now only have a tiny patch of padding on the outside corner of the palm which is pretty comfy

Suspension setup and as mentioned above, weight distribution come into play too.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It’s often not just the grips, it’s more the handlebar height in relation to the saddle height and reach/ETT distance. It also depends on your body type ie long torso or long legs..
+1, it can be complex problem. I wouldn't want to latch onto magical grips being the problem but is part of the whole solution.

I have been one to sneer at official bike fittings but it is spot on. I'll pimp Mr Veloharmony's channel and even if it road orientated, his tell it straight, no screwing around approach warms my heart. He covers loads of useful things like numb hands.

Slight adjustments can make a big difference to where you body weigh is distributed and hence your touch points on the bike.

I don't like difficult stuff though, so if I make a saddle adjustment as an example, I take a photo of the angle and height etc before the change. Thomson seatposts with angle markers do help to figure out how much you have tweaked in case you need to move back to your last setting and start again.

My ye old Heckler is my most comfy bike since I've fiddled with it until I got to a point where there is very little discomfort.
Now it like an old pair of jeans - in many ways including colour :|

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with Mr Grudley..
Forgot about saddle angle, having the nose tilted down means more weight is forward on the bars.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Esi even have a super chunky but also check out the cheap eBay foam grips which are very similar at a fraction of the price.

Warp

Likes Dirt
No issues with Ergons durability unless you're hamfisted mechanic who can not be trusted a 3mm allen head bolt. I have used them on carbon and alloy bars with no issues about slip or stripping.

The business end of the Ergon is actually quite tough. I have had a few close tree encounters and the grips are fine.

That said, as others have mentioned is a long trip and the answers for you may not be what works for others.

One more recommendation, core strength. If you just lay your weight on the bars and not helping with the core, your arms and your lower back will get tired and beat up.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find good brakes helped my hands a lot, when one finger is enough to control my speed downhill it makes quite a difference. I rode a demo bike last weekend which had no reach adjustment and needed more pressure on the lever, both hands sore halfway down.

I get carpal tunnel symptoms in my left hand if I'm not careful (RH had surgery a long time ago), dual suspension bikes don't trigger it anywhere near as much as my HT does

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have permanent numbness in two fingers courtesy a partial degloving. Getting better even close to 10 years later. I find it a pita and you have it way worse than me. I tried lots of grips and found not much difference but big grips were worse. I take my left hand off the bars fairly regularly and exercise the fingers when I can. Ride with wrists on grips too when I can. Usually wortks ok. Sometimes when it is feeling rough I just stop and twiddle fingers and have a water break.

My back issue is T4/T5 too. Carbon bars help I find.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
I also have issues with numbness and havr tried quite a few different grips including odi rogues and ESI chunkys and am now on ergons. The ESI are vry fragile I found.
The other one Ive gone is im running SQ Lab 30 X 16 degree bars
I would say that the symptoms have delayed onset rather than disappeared with the current setup

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I have permanent numbness in two fingers courtesy a partial degloving. Getting better even close to 10 years later. I find it a pita and you have it way worse than me. I tried lots of grips and found not much difference but big grips were worse. I take my left hand off the bars fairly regularly and exercise the fingers when I can. Ride with wrists on grips too when I can. Usually wortks ok. Sometimes when it is feeling rough I just stop and twiddle fingers and have a water break.

My back issue is T4/T5 too. Carbon bars help I find.
I know this is cruel and condescending, but your injuries reminded me of this. My grandfather on the farm as a young boy told me this many time.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I couldn't have fucked what ripped the skin off my hand. Especially since I was at full upward stretch at the time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hands are numb? Rub one out quicklynit will feel like someone else is doing it :)
#note on this - it will feel like someone else who doesn't know how to rub a cock is doing it...clumsiest wank ever.

Have you considered a shorter stem, wider/narrower bars, more rise. Spacers, and so on to get your weight back so you aren't falling forward onto the bars?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Ergons are awesome and sit more upright ie shorter cockpit, handlebars higher , may require longer steerer or riser stem.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I found rolling my bars forward helped the most. Cockpit setup is important for me. Then the right grips. I don't like grips that are too chunky and change my diet grips every 6 months.