Nup to the Cup

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Therein lies the problem. The racing industry employs 70 000 jobs (so you say) with a LOT of them low skilled. The whole industry is tailored to a very low number of people making a very large amount of money. Without the racing industry this low number of people would need to find a new way of making a whole lot of money. Perhaps they would instead create companies that employed a large number of people, that would be able to build their skills and earn a better wage in an industry that does not rely on the mistreatment of animals.

The 6.3 billion dollars the industry creates by taking billions of dollars out of workers paychecks and redirecting it to that waterhouse bloke so he can get ever richer, could then be spent into the greater economy. industry such as retail that struggles could become profitable again and workers wage could increase.

the logic of your quotation is flawed and time and time again industries based around gambling have been shown to have both a negative social and economic cost.
Low skilled jobs are actually a very important part of the economy wherever you like it or not.

Again how would you create the 70,000 jobs lost overnight if the industry went?

And it can't just be centralised in cities either . I'm all ears if you can provide a better alternative.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Low skilled jobs are actually a very important part of the economy wherever you like it or not.

And it can't just be centralised in cities either . I'm all ears if you can provide a better alternative.
If those jobs rely on animal exploitation for the gambling industry, then get rid of those jobs, they have no future.

Also, pressure the gubbinment into putting investment into the solar power generation industry, which they actively killed off to favour coal.

with sufficient efficient battery storage facilities, we could be self sufficient in renewable power generation, in a series of decentralised grids, if need be.
If Germany can create a solar power industry out of FA, without the best generation conditions as we have here, then even Australia could do it.

RB 24

Likes Dirt

Couldn’t agree more. It’s not just the jobs you know of at stables or at tracks etc. it’s the non related ones that appear out of no where.
If anything the removal of ott horses would create a greater demand for performance horse studs. Or is everyone against having a horse for use as a non racing sport? Either way I don’t give a toss. My horses are happy. They are fed well. Treated better than me. I’ll keep doing what I do and let the protesters protest over whatever and let people decide what butters their bread.

nathanm

Eats Squid

Numerous industries have crashed and people have had to find other sources of employment, automotive and mining being the biggest but pretty much anything manufacturing has seen a massive downturn.

Backpackers and those numbered visa workers who are bought to Australia don't seem to have much of a problem finding work.

But there's also the whole thing about "The 6.3 billion dollars the industry creates by taking billions of dollars out of workers paychecks and redirecting it to that waterhouse bloke so he can get ever richer, could then be spent into the greater economy. industry such as retail that struggles could become profitable again and workers wage could increase" you skipped but that's ok, it doesn't support your argument so feel free to ignore it.

It's the same argument the current Tasmanian government used to get re-elected. Pokies are good, pokies create jobs, get rid of pokies the economy crashes and we all starve. They get elected and barely a month later several locations close and even the local RSL goes bankrupt despite the pokies and a bunch of people lose their jobs and have to find new ones.

The only people who make money from gambling are the small amount of people at the high end, the rest are losers.

Skydome

If those jobs rely on animal exploitation for the gambling industry, then get rid of those jobs, they have no future.

Also, pressure the gubbinment into putting investment into the solar power generation industry, which they actively killed off to favour coal.

with sufficient efficient battery storage facilities, we could be self sufficient in renewable power generation, in a series of decentralised grids, if need be.
If Germany can create a solar power industry out of FA, without the best generation conditions as we have here, then even Australia could do it.
How does your suggestion fill the hole of 70,000 unskilled jobs?

Skydome

Numerous industries have crashed and people have had to find other sources of employment, automotive and mining being the biggest but pretty much anything manufacturing has seen a massive downturn.

Backpackers and those numbered visa workers who are bought to Australia don't seem to have much of a problem finding work.

But there's also the whole thing about "The 6.3 billion dollars the industry creates by taking billions of dollars out of workers paychecks and redirecting it to that waterhouse bloke so he can get ever richer, could then be spent into the greater economy. industry such as retail that struggles could become profitable again and workers wage could increase" you skipped but that's ok, it doesn't support your argument so feel free to ignore it.

It's the same argument the current Tasmanian government used to get re-elected. Pokies are good, pokies create jobs, get rid of pokies the economy crashes and we all starve. They get elected and barely a month later several locations close and even the local RSL goes bankrupt despite the pokies and a bunch of people lose their jobs and have to find new ones.

The only people who make money from gambling are the small amount of people at the high end, the rest are losers.
People make the conscious decision to toss a weeks pay on the trots or whatever. It's their own fault really and it's almost as if sponsors for horse racing tracks and events don't exist. The industry doesn't solely rely on gambling though it's a good portion of it.

As long as the prize money for a race is there the industry will be there, gambling or no gambling.

nathanm

Eats Squid
How does your suggestion fill the hole of 70,000 unskilled jobs?
Create a new industry based around human pursuits such as marathon running and allow betting on it. 70 000 people can clean up after the athletes.

or you could google what happend to the 40 000 automotive workers who lost their job. Or I could google it for you?

What would be cool if there was no racing industry is the money free'd up could be used for things like - "Governments can invest in infrastructure projects to help workers transition to new jobs. “It’s much easier to make the transition into construction jobs than it is into sectors that are very foreign to manufacturing,”. which is what the automotive industry did.

There's these saving to be made that could help the government invest in these workers futures -

In November 2017, the Victorian Problem Gambling Foundation found that there is more than just a personal cost to gambling in Australia. This research found that in 2014-15, the cost of problem gambling in Australia totalled $7 billion:

• $2.2 billion – family and relationship problems
  • $1.6 billion – emotional and psychological issues, including distress, depression, suicide and violence
  • $1.3 billion – financial losses
  • $1.1 billion – costs to the Victorian government, such as research, regulation, and professional support services
  • $600 million – lost productivity and other work-related costs
  • $100 million – costs of crime

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Perhaps you need to put the glasses on. That comment was talking about the whip.
I was referring to your assertion that a bit of whipping is the worst injury they suffer but misquote as you please.

Being part of an intelligent society is having the ability to learn and alter perspective when made aware of all the facts pertaining to something you believe in. Dredging up couter arguments whike ignoing the facts is not.

Have a lovely day in strapper land where the horse shit smells so sweet.

Flow-Rider

Burner
People make the conscious decision to toss a weeks pay on the trots or whatever. It's their own fault really and it's almost as if sponsors for horse racing tracks and events don't exist. The industry doesn't solely rely on gambling though it's a good portion of it.

As long as the prize money for a race is there the industry will be there, gambling or no gambling.
Gambling is an addiction or disorder for some people, they have little control over it like alcoholics. It ruins a lot of peoples lives and even the lives of people that aren't the gambler.

Last edited:

Skydome

Create a new industry based around human pursuits such as marathon running and allow betting on it. 70 000 people can clean up after the athletes.
Your original post was about investing in solar energy so I asked how that would create low skilled work?

As per getting into marathon running most of the marathon events are run by volunteers and volunteers do the cleanup, considering how many fairly big sponsors there are for marathon if there isn't already low skilled paid jobs for it it's highly doubtful there'll be paid low skilled jobs for it.

I was referring to your assertion that a bit of whipping is the worst injury they suffer but misquote as you please.
I never said the inflammation/redness from excessive whipping is the most serious injury they'll ever suffer, but I did say the most serious injury that may occur due to excessive whipping was the inflammation/redness.

Dredging up couter arguments whike ignoing the facts is not.
What facts am I ignoring?

Gambling is an addiction or disorder for a some people, they have little control over it like alcoholics. It ruins a lot of peoples lives and even the lives of people that aren't the gambler.
And it was their decision to get into gambling just like it was the decisions of the alcos to get into drinking.

People need to take responsibility for themselves instead of crying about it.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
And it was their decision to get into gambling just like it was the decisions of the alcos to get into drinking.

People need to take responsibility for themselves instead of crying about it.
Spoken like a true LNP voter who considers poverty and addiction a personal failing and simple laziness, and worth ignoring.

Ignoring the fact that’s a lazy, short sighted and narrow view of the world (got your blinkers on. Boom boom tish...), utterly devoid of basic human empathy and stupid in that ignores the massive cost to society ignoring it (or worse, feeding off it :( ) brings.

I hate the “me and mine” attitude of conservatism, it’s at best hypocrisy given all their wealth is on the back of poor people.

Skydome

Spoken like a true LNP voter who considers poverty and addiction a personal failing and simple laziness, and worth ignoring.

Ignoring the fact that’s a lazy, short sighted and narrow view of the world (got your blinkers on. Boom boom tish...), utterly devoid of basic human empathy and stupid in that ignores the massive cost to society ignoring it (or worse, feeding off it :( ) brings.

I hate the “me and mine” attitude of conservatism, it’s at best hypocrisy given all their wealth is on the back of poor people.
For one I'm not an lnp voter lmao. both labor and lnp are all fucking grubs and before you try going down that path I'm not a one nation voter either.

Wow, so little insight. NO ONE chooses to be addicted to anything. It happens, shit happens.
Life is shit, some people can't cope.
They still made the active choice to get start relying on alcohol or thinking the pokies is somehow a get rich quick scheme. At least with the pokies I can agree with people they are specifically designed to lure people in so I can understand why there's a need to ban them.

teK--

Eats Squid
I stopped supporting anything to do with the races a couple of years ago. There are better things to do.

The recent expose should hopefully convince more people to do the same.

Skydome

Bollocks. Absolutely without foundation.
So you're telling me the beer ran off the shelf and forced themselves upon the person?

The recent expose should hopefully convince more people to do the same.
The treatment they recived was largely due to the slaughterhouse, so If anything it means there needs to be more investigation into the treatments of animals at slaughter houses.

About the only concerning thing for the industry from that expose was the falsification of documents try and show some horses were still racing where in fact they'd already been sent off to get slaughtered and them claiming a smaller number of horses go to slaughter than what actually do.

It's fairly common knowledge that a lot more horses than they said went to slaughter so it's not really much of an expose and the treatment the horses received largely reflects on the slaughterhouse industry rather than the racing industry, but hey, anything to try and get horse racing banned even if the treatment isn't their fault I guess.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I said you sound like one. You’ve certainty adopted the attitude of your average hobbiest libertarian...

Try applying some thought to the whole poverty and addiction scenario, have some empathy and learn what really drives and embeds it. Then learn about the costs and more to the point the costs of not helping people stuck in that loop.