NX Eagle has landed

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Starting to float around now on the web.

Cassette is 11-50 tooth,450g, Shimano freehub. Pricing doesn't look that much cheaper than GX.

Minlak

custom titis
I have read a few reviews where the NX stuff is just nasty anyway. I had GX was ok but not great like the higher level stuff.

Nambra

Read the same regarding NX 11 speed - heavy, clunky etc.

Couple of reviews on NX Eagle:

I'm surprised that they've kept the weight on par with GX - the 450g cassette is not much different to the weight of an XT 11-speed.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Cassette is 615 grams, noted on Pinkbike. A bit of an anchor but cost is low at $100US.

mxh

Likes Dirt
I'm surprised that they've kept the weight on par with GX - the 450g cassette is not much different to the weight of an XT 11-speed.
The second video you linked to mentions that the cassette is 613g - so a fair bit heavier.

Also, they mention that it will fit on a non-XD hub, but does that mean that it can't actually be fitted on an XD driver? Or can it be fitted on either?

Nambra

Yep - you're right - r2-bike must have put the GX Eagle cassette weight in for the NX as a placeholder - it's listed as 450g on their website, I didn't bother to check.

And as far as I know it's Shimano driver only - hence the 11T small cog - same as the NX 11-speed.

Minlak

custom titis
Its not unusual for people to buy NX everything else and GX or higher Cassette. I know heaps of people run SLX everything and XT cassettes.

I just know the SRAM stuff I have had the X0 or higher was so much smoother than my GX stuff

Minlak

custom titis
Does that include GX Eagle Minlak?
Actually at this stage I only know one person running Eagle it is GX and he likes it but he is also using SRAM for the first time. I don't think he knows how much better it could be.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cassette looks like the new XTR one except made of steel. After wearing out an aluminium General Lee Cassette in <1000km I'll be steering clear of that, but this one at 615gm - whoa. Wasn't that long ago with the XT 11-42 being 450gm that was called a boat anchor.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
but this one at 615gm - whoa. Wasn't that long ago with the XT 11-42 being 450gm that was called a boat anchor.
This is the big downside. Couple a 600gm cassette with 800gm+ tyres and things aren't sounding like a good idea. Might also be targeted for ebikes.

A wider ratio 11 is worth a second look.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Nambra

This is the big downside. Couple a 600gm cassette with 800gm+ tyres and things aren't sounding like a good idea. Might also be targeted for ebikes.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Tend to agree - if you run SRAM, chances are you have an XD driver, so NX is not for you anyway, and it is not much cheaper than the lighter GX Eagle option so why would you buy it anyway. Not sure where that puts NX Eagle in terms of target market - Shimano fans are unlikely to want to swap out the 11-speed drivetrains for it, as they'll be waiting for the XT 12-speed to trickle down from XTR. It sort of looks like SRAM is just trying to stitch up more of the entry level OEM market with a 1 x 12 option.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i like the fact it is shimano freehub, means i don't have to change over several wheelsets; i can still get sram shifters & use their nx cassette, is heavy though...on the 2nd hand market non-XD wheelsets are increasingly hard to find,

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Might also be targeted for ebikes.

I have the SRAM ex-1 e-bike groupset, 8 speed, cassette weighs 360g, is an 11-48..big jumps 32-40-48 for the last 3, is shimano freehub..the chain is nice & hardy which i really like, no super thin chain plates, doesn't allow dbl shifts but u don't need them when going from 32-40 eg. With the sram geo-blcok its as expensive as gold eagle which is a real shame, as i prob won't buy it again [i think xtr is cheaper] the snmallest 3 cogs are individualy replaceable -last ones are a single block, shifting is crisper than gx me thinks

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Cassette looks like the new XTR one except made of steel. After wearing out an aluminium General Lee Cassette in <1000km I'll be steering clear of that, but this one at 615gm - whoa. Wasn't that long ago with the XT 11-42 being 450gm that was called a boat anchor.
In the meantime, I'm running 1x10 with an XT cassette weighing 340g and probably costs less if not similar, but I don't need the range so all good for me. I think the weight penalty from these cheaper large rangecassettes is getting to the point where 2x10 is going to weigh similar and provide similar range.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Tend to agree - if you run SRAM, chances are you have an XD driver, so NX is not for you anyway, and it is not much cheaper than the lighter GX Eagle option so why would you buy it anyway. Not sure where that puts NX Eagle in terms of target market - Shimano fans are unlikely to want to swap out the 11-speed drivetrains for it, as they'll be waiting for the XT 12-speed to trickle down from XTR. It sort of looks like SRAM is just trying to stitch up more of the entry level OEM market with a 1 x 12 option.
Except when it does trickle down, it will require a new driver. Maybe SRAM are onto something re disgruntled Shimano users....

despite the dramas I had with the cassette getting a visit from the tooth fairy the 1 X 12 combo really works for me. I think if I went 1 X 11 I would have struggled up some hills and probs would have then gone to 2 X 11.

I have admitted before on this forum to suffering from an affliction named "chicken legs", I'll thank you not to mock, we are people too (well in part)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I have read a few reviews where the NX stuff is just nasty anyway. I had GX was ok but not great like the higher level stuff.
NX is essentially what used to be X5, which was always a pretty big step down in refinement from X7/GX.

Last edited: