Nydia Bay Track N.Z

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Just at the end of an awesome weekend at the top end of NZ South Island so thought I’d share some intel. Rode some of the fun local stuff around Picton, and then the Nydia Bay track, which is around a six hour ride with three awesome technical rooty, rocky downhills and two equally hot hard techy uphills thrown into the mix.

Most of the track is a hand cut hiking trail, and there are a few sections you have to walk but a good rider can ride around 90 - 95% of the track. Good fitness is needed for the climbs though as there’s a lot of hard pinchy sections with little recovery time. It’s also definitely a dry weather only track, the roots and rocks would be a nightmare if wet.

Riding the whole track needs a bit of planning as ideally it has to be shuttled to avoid a 60km road slog at the end, but there is a lodge halfway if you want to spilt up the journey. Shane at Blue Moon Lodge in Havelock does shuttles, or you can use the post boat to get in, but you miss the first descent (Ophuri Saddle) which is probably the best one. Ophuri Saddle is worth shuttling on it’s own as well, or you could ride from the south end of the track into Nydia Bay and return.

As a bonus if you speak nicely to Shane and he might give you access to his own hand built trail near Havelock for the price of some trail maintenance. It’s a ripping old school single track steep and gnarly descent full of rocks, roots and narrow traverses.

Nydia track pics below

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ButtersNZ

Squid
Love this trail - it's a must do for visitors to this part of NZ. Did you ride Wakamarina too? White's Bay? Anything in Nelson?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Love this trail - it's a must do for visitors to this part of NZ. Did you ride Wakamarina too? White's Bay? Anything in Nelson?
Unfortunately not given limited time. The initial plan was to hit up Nelson, but the weather gods conspired nicely, and my riding buddy was keen to check this track out. No regrets as far as I am concerned, it was an amazing ride.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Anyone have any advice on 4-5 days of mtb focussed riding (not full DH) around the Nelson / Marlborough area including tour companies to look at ?

ButtersNZ

Squid
Anyone have any advice on 4-5 days of mtb focussed riding (not full DH) around the Nelson / Marlborough area including tour companies to look at ?
I live in Nelson. There is a lot to do here so it really depends on your skill level/type of riding you want to do.

Are you after multiple single day options? There are some good heli single day options for trails like Wakamarina (grade 4), and some trails you can do by pedalling right out of Nelson, e.g. Coppermine (grade 2).

For a visitor with a few days to explore the district in summer I recommend checking out the local Codgers mtb park and Fringe Hill (10 min pedal from CBD), Kaiteriteri mtb park (as well as the beach), also the Rameka trail, Wakamarina... Nydia Bay of course.. If you have more advanced riding skill then you have to check out trails in Sharlands forest - like Keyboard warrior, and up the Maitai Valley - like Peaking Ridge and 629. All rideable from Nelson CBD. These guys visited recently from Switzerland and did a great write up on Nelson (and NZ in general).

A trip to Nelson for mtb wouldn't be complete without at least a day at the Wairoa Gorge. The place is amazing. An mtb park created by a US billionaire and rode by a select few, but has recently opened up to the public. Think 70 km of money-no-object awesome trails and features.

This is one of the rowdier lines down the hill

A few pics attached of Nydia Bay and Kaiteriteri

Last edited: