Obscore/Rare/Dream DH Bikes ?

cheezario

Likes Bikes
My first DH bike was a RACELINE Pro. Working in a bike shop but just rode XC, until my mate brought in this Beast of a bike. It was gleaming and shiny and completely badass. Bought it on the spot. Started racing it that weekend, but had no idea that a heavy bike = extra momentum. Tipping the scales at over 20kgs, it would take two guys to load it into the shuttle trucks, and pretty much ruined my car's fuel economy.

It was mostly stock, with 2.7" Michelin Front and 2.5" Tioga Rear. Hayes 9 brakes which NEVER needed a 2nd bleed, no matter how many times I crashed. Which happened a lot. Manitou shock on the rear which constantly leaked air, going from stiff to sponge in one race run. But the big ticket was the USD forks, 'DNM's. They sounded like a shopping trolley, and had a horrible "top out" when unloaded, but dam they where plush.

When I had it in the bike shop, even surrounded by new carbon and lighter offerings, people would head straight over to check out the Raceline. It was so big, so shiny and so over the top, and especially when it was covered in mud. I'd put it right outside my workshop and just wait, because every day I'd hear a voice call over my workbench "Scuse me mate, how much do you want for the big bike?"

2079_1084462905714_3580_n.jpg

cabbo

Likes Dirt
super 8

0_1 (5).jpgMy good old super 8, twas my first dh rig... It was everything hacking down the local trails, back then we didnt need landers, may be we were stoked just to build booters and yeah! 8" of trail eating sus, Yeah! whats a lander? and the only foto l got of this beast is on, ahhhhh! old school kodak.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
It's got "Super" in the name too, but not a Super 8(would like a mint one of those but).
It's the Superco Silencer:tape: Maybe one day it'll hit production.
superco-silencer-downhill-bike1.jpg

hensleyspain

Likes Bikes
GT LTS-Lobo

Without a doubt, the "98 GT LTS-Lobo with the carbon tubes and aluminum lugs. Brooklyn, New York was where I was living then... I'll never forget that day I saw the bike for the first time..... This bike changed my life, literally. I was a real rude boy at that time, however was determined to work as hard as I needed to to buy the bike. "Settled" (as if I had a choice) for a Zaskar Hardtail, but I stayed out of trouble. Note the position of the inverted shock which pulled on the spring rather than pushed it. Awesome stuff!

GT Lobo with zzyzx fork - 1998.jpg

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Also, Napalms M1 in this segment!

[video=youtube;LI4e7REs-5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4e7REs-5Y[/video]
it should be mandatory to watch this before any first bike purchase.
Show the newbies it ain't about he bike, they are still smashing it on those old scary looking rigs.

heavyp

You heard it here first
My old man was cleaning out the loft over in the UK and found this poster I used to have on my wall of Bas De Bevers B1/Vario it was always one of my dream bike back then.
BasDeBeverB1.jpg

Also in the post was this Palmer poster I got with dirt issue 1 or 2 im pretty sure
ShaunPalmer.jpg