Obstacle ramp angles?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m wanting to build an obstacle or two along some tame trails for a bit of variety. Up onto logs, over rocks, maybe a car body etc. I’ve seen plenty of pictures, but no good build guides on stuff like angles.

Question: what sort of ramp angle or steepness works for going up or down? I’m thinking around 1 in 3, 20-30 degrees?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
There is no one answer it all depends on how much speed you have onto the ramp, whether you need to line it up , the width and length of the ramp and the skill of the riders .
Whether or not you want to ride it in both directions if not the down ramp can be steep.
Generally the higher and longer the ramp, the flatter + wider it should be so less skilled riders dont lose confidence or momentum.
If you live in a wet area some grippy material or slats rather than solid boards are good.
Overall 20 degrees is OK for an upramp.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Shit I must have nailed it in one answer [pun intended] cos 100 other people have lurked and said nothing to contradict me..
Or maybe it belongs to the stupid questions thread and only I was silly enough and answered it.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup. Certainly is a slow thread, thanks for your response.

I didn’t think it was a stupid question, but maybe it is. Not having built anything like this before though more others might have some feedback.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
No just joking its a good question.
I started building wooden structures about 20 years ago by trial and error. Many still standing. No rotorburn then ??
I needed bridges across old mining cuts and over logs .
I decided that if in doubt make it wider and stronger and use termite resistant stuff cos if its too flimsy people wont ride it or just splits and falls apart.
Found lots of scraps of treated pine at the tip which were ideal for supports or slats.
Also in general twist nails or tech screws and plenty of that flat bracing strapping that has holes in it.
that bracing is good to hold log rolls together.
Finer screws can snap just due to wood expanding and contracting.
Most up ramps I now use mouse wire, expanded metal or chook wire for grip cos here wood can be v slippery in winter.

Flow-Rider

Burner
1 in 3 gradient sounds good to me for like a green/blue rated trail. If you have good run in speed, you can go a lot more but like Rowdyflat said use slats of wood with small gaps between them so that the rocks, dirt and mud tend not to collect on them and you have better grip. There no real written rule.