Octane One Void 3.0 Custom build.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I bought this from the guy who built it. He's busted his hand. 5 rides old. I'm not about to start serious dirt jumping, but couldn't resist at such a good price. It's fun to ride. Solid, really well balanced, a bit weighty, but smooth in flight and landing. Flowy. I bought it for the wheel set to put on an all mountain build in the near future, but I like it so much I might keep it as a thrasher. It's shit to sit down and pedal on though.

And yes, the seat is UP! Suffer in your socks, whippersnappers.

Frame - Octane One Void 3.0
Rear shock - 4130 Cro-mo
Front shock/fork - Manitou Circus Expert 2012
Handlebars - NS Mint
Stem - Azonic Baretta
Headset - Octane One integrated
Grips - Oury Big Block ODI
Saddle - SDG
Seatpost - Thompson
Front brake - Not yet
Rear brake - Avid BB5 mechanical. (to be updated)
Cranks - Primo Powerbite
Chain - Izumi
Pedals - Azonic (bullet proof leg smashers)
Derailleurs - As if ....
Front hub - Hope Pro 2 Evo
Rear hub - Hope Pro 2 Evo
Front rim - Sun Rhyno Lite XL
Rear rim - Sun Rhyno Lite XL
Spokes - DT Swiss
Nipples - DT Swiss
Tyres - Maxxis Holy Roller 60a
Tubes - Don't know. It's got some.
Total weight - 13.3 KG. Now dramatically lighter at 13.2 kg

I'm thinking about getting some 140's for it and investigating the possibilities of a R/D hanger attachment.

Last edited:

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice bike mate, looks tidy. Dirt jumpers generally aren't that great to pedal on while seated, basically because they're designed to be set up with the seat down out of the way so it doesn't interfere whilst jumping.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
IF you have some tight and fast single track close by that bike would be great. I ride my Cannondale Chase on Single track here and I deadset love it - really nippy, slidy and tough enough to barrel over stuff as well. SS on fast single track does wonders for the fitness as well.

It does look on the heavy side though - get lighter wheels (and tyres, those HRs are heavy. I prefer Kenda K-rads, same tread pattern but smaller at 2.3 and much lighter and easier to pedal), some lighter breaks and lower bars.

Where's the seat clamp on that thing? I can't see where you raise and lower it.

FigBo0T

I've moved the brake lever to the left now. I got the bike with it set up that way. I think it's a BMXican thing.

Tyres are 2.2, not 2.4. Yes she is a little bit heavy, Johnny, I'm looking into that. I think the cranks are way too hardcore for my style, and I could lose a lot of weight there too. I agree on the fitness remark too. It takes more effort to ride on my regular trails, but it's a lot faster in the tight stuff. And heaps more fun to jump. And quiet. No chain slap. Hope hub is loud though.

Seat clamp is integrated. Part of the frame.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Where's the seat clamp on that thing? I can't see where you raise and lower it.
Integrated, it's a DJ bike they're almost all integrated now.

I didn't want to be the first to comment and laugh at you, guy. You won't find a d/r hanger for that frame, O1 only make 3 frames and they're all horizontal dropouts.
The wheelset is fine weight for the bike, the problem is your tires come in at 800g or so.

FigBo0T

Integrated, it's a DJ bike they're almost all integrated now.

I didn't want to be the first to comment and laugh at you, guy. You won't find a d/r hanger for that frame, O1 only make 3 frames and they're all horizontal dropouts.
The wheelset is fine weight for the bike, the problem is your tires come in at 800g or so.
Thanks for that. Laugh away, it's the only way I'll learn. I don't unnerstan why the horizontal dropout means I can't run a derailleur though. Surely something could be engineered. No biggy, either way, I like the bike as SS.

I'd like to try it with some bigger forks.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that. Laugh away, it's the only way I'll learn. I don't unnerstan why the horizontal dropout means I can't run a derailleur though. Surely something could be engineered. No biggy, either way, I like the bike as SS.

Why bigger forks? the frame is designed to be ran only with up to 140mm of travel, you'll find this will make it harder to pedal again, and it'll be longer/slacker so it won't spin/manual as well. If you were to do anything, i'd just upgrade the existing ones to fox 831's or rochshox argyles.

As far as tyres go if you want to lose weight, kenda small block 8's or schwalbe tabletops. I'd steer clear of k-rads, they still weigh quite a lot and grip terribly.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt

aha, laugh in a good way ? not like a douche bag. It means that O1 don't make a d/r hanger at all, for any of their bikes. One will have to be made, and frankly they're a $300 frame. You'd be better off getting a frame designed to do what you want than get something made for that one. And, your hub (if it's the ss/trials) is only designed to take up to 6 cogs, the front can only take up to a 34t chainring and proly not even if you have gears. At 140mm you're head angle should be 67° which would make that thing hideous to ride around on trails, the seat angle would be massively uncomfortable. The forks on it are great, keep them there's no reason to get different ones.

I ride my jump bike on local xc/single track all the time. It's fun but it's hard work, i end up walking most of the uphills. Those cranks are for bmx, so they may be too long to reasonably ride on trails too. Just know if you want to swap cranks, you'll need a new bb as those are 22mm spindle. but the bb is Euro. You've got a nice jump bike, don't make it something it's not.

FigBo0T

Excellent. This is why I love this forum.

Thanks JONO and stinky. Good info and advice.
I'll leave it as it is. I want to get some 140's for another bike I'm building, so I guess I can try them out at some stage.

I can see what you are saying about angles. Makes sense.

FigBo0T

Now with Sunline V1 bars, Race Face D2 stem, Jet Black lock ons and X-Mission saddle. Lost 100 grams!!!!!

Feels a lot better. A little more room for my knees. I knew I bought that poxy stem off moorey for a good reason.

Woops, I forgot to put the seat up .....

Last edited:

FigBo0T

I gave the Sunlines a good hour of abuse in the N.P behind my place. They felt good. Better than the mints. I didn't like the look of it though.

So I pillaged the bars off my other bike. Da Bomb Bazooka 800. (bought from T.3)

Looks tough, fully sick and fat and all that. Feels even better (which makes sense since they replaced the V1's on the other bike)

I like riding it with seat down now. It seems to lower the center of gravity. I suppose that makes sense. Just means I don't sit down when riding.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I run my seat only a little bit higher than that too. On SS you spend most of your time standing anyway.

Why bigger forks? the frame is designed to be ran only with up to 140mm of travel, you'll find this will make it harder to pedal again, and it'll be longer/slacker so it won't spin/manual as well. If you were to do anything, i'd just upgrade the existing ones to fox 831's or rochshox argyles.

As far as tyres go if you want to lose weight, kenda small block 8's or schwalbe tabletops. I'd steer clear of k-rads, they still weigh quite a lot and grip terribly.
Yes on the forks, I run Manitou Sherman Jumpers with less than 100mm travel, don't need any more than that.

No on the K-rads, I love the sketchy slidyness of them. Not sure on the actual weight but they are a darn sight better than the HRs.

I ride my jump bike on local xc/single track all the time. It's fun but it's hard work, i end up walking most of the uphills. Those cranks are for bmx, so they may be too long to reasonably ride on trails too. Just know if you want to swap cranks, you'll need a new bb as those are 22mm spindle. but the bb is Euro. You've got a nice jump bike, don't make it something it's not.
I run 41Thermals and they work really well on the chase. I'm also running SPDs and that makes the uphill stomps much faster and easier. I fuckin lover riding my Chase on the tight singletrack. I've shelved my new Remedy 9 as even though I rode it at least 3 times a week my fitness was suffering. The luxury of gears, full suspension and a dropper post were making me soft. So it's SS only for a month now....., however I suspect that I'll enjoy it so much that I'll stay there for longer and the poor old remedy will catch dust.