Product Review Oddjob's cave of tyres

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Holy crap. Forgot about this thread.

A quick update on some of my findings. I'm still getting lots of wobbly casings in Maxxis. I'm also finding that they still tend to be weepy even in DD. Shortys and HRs are good in loose or wet conditions. DHFs and Aggressors are good in the dry.

On the Schwalbe front, I've been running the Magic Mary and Hans Dampf combo in a povo Evolution Super Gravity Soft. Holy shit it's good. Rolling resistance is really good for the level of grip available for everything from sandstone to sandy soil. Durability seems ok but haven't been pushing them hard.

The Vittoria Martello and Mazza in TNT 4c compound could be the new enduro kings. They have arguably more grip then the Michelin Wild Enduros especially in loose conditions, but have a tougher casing, more durable rubber compound and competitive weight. The only downside is more rolling resistance, but this is offset by better mud clearance.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I had a shorty on the front of the Bronson and couldn't stop it squirming in corners. Fucking unnerving. I probably run lower pressures than yogi but still pumped up it was scary.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I had a shorty on the front of the Bronson and couldn't stop it squirming in corners. Fucking unnerving. I probably run lower pressures than yogi but still pumped up it was scary.
It's a very specific tyre. It works super well in really dusty, loamy or muddy conditions. As you've noted they're terrible on hardpack.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It's a very specific tyre. It works super well in really dusty, loamy or muddy conditions. As you've noted they're terrible on hardpack.

Local stuff gets chewed up by horses so it varies.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
On the Schwalbe front, I've been running the Magic Mary and Hans Dampf combo in a povo Evolution Super Gravity Soft. Holy shit it's good. Rolling resistance is really good for the level of grip available for everything from sandstone to sandy soil. Durability seems ok but haven't been pushing them hard.
Have you tried the Big Betty yet?

Oddjob

Local stuff gets chewed up by horses so it varies.
In that case the Martello is the gold standard front tyre. If you must stick with Maxxis the DHF is my go to all rounder.

Have you tried the Big Betty yet?
Not yet but I've heard good things. I expect it would trade off rolling resistance for more braking grip looking at the tread.

If you're looking for ultimate grip (which I expect the Magic Mary/Big Betty would deliver) I can't recommend enough the Martello up front and Mazza rear. This has even surpassed my beloved Wild Enduro combo.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In that case the Martello is the gold standard front tyre. If you must stick with Maxxis the DHF is my go to all rounder.

Not yet but I've heard good things. I expect it would trade off rolling resistance for more braking grip looking at the tread.

If you're looking for ultimate grip (which I expect the Magic Mary/Big Betty would deliver) I can't recommend enough the Martello up front and Mazza rear. This has even surpassed my beloved Wild Enduro combo.

Attachments

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah I have found certain Maxxis tyres dont easily sit straight when tubeless unless overinflated and Ardent seem to go out of shape .
Shortys are however really good in mud.
I think Schwalbe are much better quality and only buy those.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Fckn Vittoria tyres are shit hard to get hold of.

Been looking for two 29 x 2.4 TNT Mazzas and a 29 x 2.35 Martello for over 6 months now.

Was even going to buy 2 Mazzas off a bloke on FB, he said 4 rides old, looked quite a bit more than that.

I thought Bike24 was coming close as they were publishing 2-3 weeks till they got stock/delivery... that changed.

Oddjob

Fckn Vittoria tyres are shit hard to get hold of.

Been looking for two 29 x 2.4 TNT Mazzas and a 29 x 2.35 Martello for over 6 months now.

Was even going to buy 2 Mazzas off a bloke on FB, he said 4 rides old, looked quite a bit more than that.

I thought Bike24 was coming close as they were publishing 2-3 weeks till they got stock/delivery... that changed.

View attachment 386284
I stocked up on 29ers a while back. Mtbd have the 27.5 in stock @moorey.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

Did you mean Mazza front and Martello rear? What casing are you using? Been googling them and there’s mixed reviews about the casings.