Product Review Oddjob's cave of tyres

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I’ve used a Protection Mountain King/ x King black chilli combo and enjoyed it unless it got really sloppy. The X Kings wear fairly quickly though

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm 62kg and not very aggresive. I go for trail tyres that weight no more or under a kilo and no less than 650grs. I don't need more for my riding.

I have only torn sidewalls on Continentals. One Trail King (when it was dubbed Rubber Queen) and two GP4000S.

While they worked, they were great mind you. That Black Chilli thing is really a thing. Grips great and wears very reasonably.

In comparison, I'm happy to run a Racing Ralph Snakeskin on the rear. Never had a problem with them, go figure. I understand many people avoid Schwalbes as rear tyres for being fragile, but I've had bad luck with Conti's instead.

I like Bontrager tyres too. Their Team versions are on the expensive side but really nice. Strong and good weight, comparable with Maxxis. Their XR4/SE4 is one of my favorite fronts along with the DHF and Hans Dampf. Their XR3 was fine as a rear tyre but in the end it wasn't as grippy or as fast as the RR.
I'm not a fan of GP4000S. Way too treacherous in the wet. I found the cheapo Vittoria Zaffira Pros to be better for commuting and Michelin Pro4 Endurance to be significantly better.

I've got raras on the Monstercross and on my wife's 429 but wouldn't go any heavier duty than that. The Hans Dampf I was running on the front of the Sam has not held up well at all and is showing cracks in the casing all over the place.

I haven't tried the XR4 yet, but was thinking it would make a fast rolling medium duty front or grippier rear, a big like a Hans Dampf (but tougher).

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I haven't tried the XR4 yet, but was thinking it would make a fast rolling medium duty front or grippier rear, a big like a Hans Dampf (but tougher).
I had a fuel with Xr4's for a weekend and put about 100km on them.

I thought they were good tyres, nice volume, but couldn't match the Wild AM let alone Wild Enduro for outright cornering.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Welp... sidewalls torn: Conti 3, Maxxis 1, Schwalbe 0
I guess I'm just unlucky...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Welp... sidewalls torn: Conti 3, Maxxis 1, Schwalbe 0
I guess I'm just unlucky...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
My Hans Dampf has got about three or four of those on the sidewalls. I've had a WTB Wolverine and rara develop that in the casing in the middle of the tread area, so that got retired quick smart.

The Continental just outright shat itself, rather than cracking and weeping.

On the road side of things I've had a Schwalbe One delaminate at the bead so it wouldn't stay mounted. But on the other hand Svhwalbe Durano, Marathon, and Marathon Mondiale have been the toughest goddam commuter and touring tyres I have ever used.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Could be, but there's nothing written on the sidewalls (29x2.25 Aspen 120tpi). Only weigh 580g too. But I'll be swapping it out for an EXO tyre before any events.

Sweet Jesus !!!

I took a stab in the dark when building my bike, 600 + kms later they are still on there. If I gotta spend $60 -$80 a tyre you can bet I'll be riding them til the knobs are innies not outties

Warp

Likes Dirt
I wonder if a wider rim will save the tyre more often.
I don't know. But personally, I'd prefer it would be the other way around. The tyre protecting the rim. Tyres are easily replaceable.
But I get what you're saying... the tyre/rim as a system working better together.

BTW... This tyre had only ONE ride! 12kms.

In all truth... I've owned many Maxxis and this is the first time I have any sort of failure on them. I know they are reliable, they age well and start seeping sealant when their time has come. Also, the cut seems to be on the outer skin and was losing very little air.

I'd call this a one-off and most probably pilot error even though there are no marks on the rim or any other signs. So the tyre did its work protecting the bike and rim.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Sweet Jesus !!!

I took a stab in the dark when building my bike, 600 + kms later they are still on there. If I gotta spend $60 -$80 a tyre you can bet I'll be riding them til the knobs are innies not outties
No way a rear will last 600km for me on the mtb. I'm also goping to cover 60 odd kms a week on average on the mtb next year.

I also rarely spend more than $50 a tyre. Ze germans and Cyclingdeal have been happy hunting grounds.

Oddjob

Sweet Jesus !!!

No way a rear will last 600km for me on the mtb. I'm also goping to cover 60 odd kms a week on average on the mtb next year.

I also rarely spend more than $50 a tyre. Ze germans and Cyclingdeal have been happy hunting grounds.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't know. But personally, I'd prefer it would be the other way around. The tyre protecting the rim. Tyres are easily replaceable.
But I get what you're saying... the tyre/rim as a system working better together.

BTW... This tyre had only ONE ride! 12kms.

In all truth... I've owned many Maxxis and this is the first time I have any sort of failure on them. I know they are reliable, they age well and start seeping sealant when their time has come. Also, the cut seems to be on the outer skin and was losing very little air.

I'd call this a one-off and most probably pilot error even though there are no marks on the rim or any other signs. So the tyre did its work protecting the bike and rim.
I've found if the tyre profile is to too ballooned it will catch a lot of rocks on the sidewall of the tyre. A lot of my Maxxis rear tyres seem to go from delamination, I usually pop the bulge and ride them out.

One of the trail networks I ride at was heavily mined for gold in the early 1900's and they done a bit logging there also and stripped the top soil so you still have a lot of rock rubble on top that shreds your tyres in no time. Gold is usually found in quarts so it's quite a sharp rubble left over from the process.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I usually get about 500~600 out of a rear tyre unless I don't like it and decide to change it out early. The Ra Ra I blew out in no time but all the others have seem to get around that distance.