Product Review Oddjob's cave of tyres

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tell me more, I'm all ears...

I hate a love / hate relationship to Minions. I'm running a front currently, but that dang sensation of losing grip when not enough lean drives me crazy sometimes. Grip for Africa, though.

I have run the Hans Dampf and I like them. I have not tried the new tread/compound, though.

I also need a lightish rear tyre. I got a Spesh Fast Track 2.1 and yeah, it's fast and light but I don't see it lasting that long, lol
New tread HD has a lot more grip than the old. I like it a lot, was thinking of getting another in 2.6 for the front.. Anyone know if it will fit in a non boost fork?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
New tread HD has a lot more grip than the old. I like it a lot, was thinking of getting another in 2.6 for the front.. Anyone know if it will fit in a non boost fork?
Should do.

If my calculations are correct, there's 6.35 mm difference between the 2.6 and the 2.35. I'm running the 2.35 on a 29mm rim in a non-boost fork, and there's more than 6 mm clearance either side.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Quick update.

Don't really need them but bought:
-Vittoria Goma MTB Folding Tire TNT - 29x2.4"
-Vittoria Goma MTB Folding Tire TNT - 29
27.5x2.4"
-Onza Aquila Aaron Gwin Tyre - Wirebead - 2 Ply DH - Dual Compound RC2 45a-55a - 2.4 Inch - 27.5 Inch

The Goma is essentially a rounded DHF, but cheaper. The TNT version comes in at around a kilo which puts it into double down territory. I'm going to trial it on the back of the Sam as an enduro tyre and if its tough enough maybe even a lightweight dh tyre.

I'm going to trial the 29 version of the Goma on the front of the Pole. Maybe with a Saguaro or a Specialized Slaughter out back. Or if I like it a lot on the rear I could use it with a Wild Enduro front.

The Onza Aquila is to give me a dry weather dh combo with a Onza Citius 40a out back for the Banshee Legend. The Legend is currently running a Shorty/HR2 combo which was great for Maydena but will get minced in Sydney sandstone.

I also normally run a softer 3c compound up front and a harder dual compound out back but I'm finding that front tyres are wearing faster than the rear on the Legend, so it makes sense to even out the wear and maximise grip by using the super soft compound out back. Apparently Onza use graphene in their rubber so the wear rate shouldn't be disasterous either.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Had a dib on some WTB tyres off bike bug recently. I found the trail boss very good at the back. The TCS light sidewall is as thin as a rice paper. Won’t last long, but then again at $20, I won’t worry too much

scblack

Leucocholic
I swear by Minion DHF, that's my recommendation.

Onza Aquila are very similar to a DHF, and very good too, but I found they don't last as well as a DHF. Probably more grip when new, but don't last as well, and lugs get ripped apart quicker. Oh and I agree with oddjob, not a great wet weather option, seemed slippery in wet.

Oddjob

Had a dib on some WTB tyres off bike bug recently. I found the trail boss very good at the back. The TCS light sidewall is as thin as a rice paper. Won’t last long, but then again at $20, I won’t worry too much
I love some of the WTB tread patterns like the Wolverine but the TCS is just too fragile for me. I've had the casing crack in the middle of the tread. Not even Schwalbes or Contis have done that to me.

Bikebug have got some steals though, $20 wet scream tyres. Perfect for mud or deep loam.

I swear by Minion DHF, that's my recommendation.

Onza Aquila are very similar to a DHF, and very good too, but I found they don't last as well as a DHF. Probably more grip when new, but don't last as well, and lugs get ripped apart quicker. Oh and I agree with oddjob, not a great wet weather option, seemed slippery in wet.
Give the Vittoria Gomas a go then. They seriously have more grip then the Dhf. The chunky side knobs are a thing of wonder. And they are cheap at the moment from mtb direct and bike-components.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I just recently replaced my worn Maxxis Tomahawk with Michelin Wild AM (front) and WTB Trail Boss (Rear). Wild AM was originally bought for the rear, but I needed a new front tyre and I thought oh why not try it in the front.

First ride out, the Wild AM had some sketchy moments, quite scary when tilting around corners, felt like the side knob would disengage at any time. The trail boss was fast and good. No complain. Bite well to normal semi loam trail, not sketchy in sand or loose dirt.
2nd ride out, I lowered the front pressure from 20 to 19, and the Wild AM turned good! Tilted it around loose stuff, climbed rocky uphill, no issue.
More test ride will be needed to ascertain its quality, but so far I'm impressed.

I'm really impressed with the Trail boss. I'm well aware that the casing is extremely thin, but then I'm only 60kg kitted up. I figured as long as I'm careful where I place my tyre (ok most of the time) and use higher pressure than I normally do (24psi), it should last "ok".

Heading out to Canberra for the long weekend to ride. I've installed WTB Convict 2.5 (front) and Trail boss 2.4 (rear), both with TCS tough casing. I'll find out how good they are compared to my stock go to Magic Mary front 2.35 and Minion DHR 2 rear 2.4WT.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I think the Aggessai was mentioned earlier in the thread.
Hired a Canyon Sender down at Maydena yesterday that came with an Aggesai on front.
I can’t compare it to where I ride which is dry and sandy and Maydena was a river of mud but holy cow what an amazingly grippy predictable tyre.
I’m pretty crap at describing the virtues of tires because they either work or they don’t for me and one days riding isn’t really long enough to get a good sense of it but the Assguy just felt awesome.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I just recently replaced my worn Maxxis Tomahawk with Michelin Wild AM (front) and WTB Trail Boss (Rear). Wild AM was originally bought for the rear, but I needed a new front tyre and I thought oh why not try it in the front.

First ride out, the Wild AM had some sketchy moments, quite scary when tilting around corners, felt like the side knob would disengage at any time. The trail boss was fast and good. No complain. Bite well to normal semi loam trail, not sketchy in sand or loose dirt.
2nd ride out, I lowered the front pressure from 20 to 19, and the Wild AM turned good! Tilted it around loose stuff, climbed rocky uphill, no issue.
More test ride will be needed to ascertain its quality, but so far I'm impressed.

I'm really impressed with the Trail boss. I'm well aware that the casing is extremely thin, but then I'm only 60kg kitted up. I figured as long as I'm careful where I place my tyre (ok most of the time) and use higher pressure than I normally do (24psi), it should last "ok".

Heading out to Canberra for the long weekend to ride. I've installed WTB Convict 2.5 (front) and Trail boss 2.4 (rear), both with TCS tough casing. I'll find out how good they are compared to my stock go to Magic Mary front 2.35 and Minion DHR 2 rear 2.4WT.
So..a week or so after Canberra and the Convict, I can tell u that tyre is so good on dry dusty terrain. Stromlo was a complete dust ball, few runs and my bike was full of dust. I saw everyone sliding on berms, and was scared shit, but the Convict is silently telling me "all is well, just tilt me and i'll get over the berm without sliding as long as you don't press that brake lever". God almighty it didn't slide and miss a beat! I was over the moon.
I also took it down rocky stuff like PB at Stromlo, oh it rides over the rocks no problem. No slip and slide.

Then again it was my first outing with it, so I could be a bit bias, but I was gobsmacked! @#$*%$(@

I also took it to Bulli DH stuff (loamy soils) after, and yeah it works damn well on them as well. I would say just as well as Schwalbe MM, better than DHF - I'm not a big fan of the latter.

It's on the bike permanently for now until I hate it :p

Oddjob

A couple of updates.

I'm still loving the Vittoria Goma on the back of the Sam. The rrrrrriiiipppp when you rail a berm is very satisfying.

I was going to pair it up with a Maxxis Shorty (Exo 3c) for a trip to Derby to deal with the loamier dirt and the chance of wet weather. Well it turns out that I rooted it on my trip to Maydena where it was on the front wheel of my dh rig. It looks like I've stretched the bead and I can't mount it tubeless without it blowing out.

The Shorty is a freaking wonder on loose/loamy/muddy terrain and I worked that tire hard. I'll have to get the wirebead version next time.

So for Derby I'm going to run a Vittoria Martello (Tnt, 4c, wirebead) 27.5x2.5 on a Dt ex511 (30mm id) front and a 27.5x2.4 Vittoria Goma (Tnt) on a Dt ex471 (25mm id) rear.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

How the fuck did I forget about this thread? Expect mucho updates soon.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Wow Derby seems like an eternity ago.

The Sam was definitely overkill for what I rode at Derby. A big part of that was having to drag over 2.5 kgs of dh tires up the snig track.

The Vittoria Martello 27.5x2.6 and Goma 27.5x2.4 combination was fantastic on the downs. Soooo much grip, even in the loose shale and light mud. But there was a big weight penalty, and I really felt it on the longer pedally trails like Blue Tier. The closest comparison I can think of would be Maxxis Shorty/DHF combo in a dh casing.

I've also switched from Huck Norris to Rimpact inserts. Theres only a 20gm weight penalty (about 100gms total from memory) and they give much better coverage and help to stop tyres rolling off the rim. They also don't stretch like the Nukeprood ARD.

Oddjob

Fast forward to today:

The Rune is running Vittoria Goma 27.5x2.4s front and rear. Good grippy combo. Its a bit like running DHFs in a DD casing front and rear.

The Balance is running Maxxis HR2/DHF both in Exo 27.4x2.3. I'm absolutely loving this combo at the moment with the semi constant rain in Sydney. The narrow tires mean you don't get the huge dead spot just off centre with the HR2 and the DHF rolls well for the level of grip available. The exo casings are holding up well with the Rimpact inserts.

The Sam is currently runnning Michelin Wild Enduros front and rear. These are still on the bike from the Fox Enduro at Green Valleys. Really excellent tyres with a good balance of grip, strength and weight. I was originally running a Wild AM on the rear but tore the sidewall on my first practise run. Will be using the Wild AM strictly for trail duties in the future.

The Pole is currently running a Specialized Butcher Grid 29x2.6 front and Aggressor DD 29x2.5 rear. The Butcher has oodles of grip which is not surprising considering its a DHR2 copy and its got a huge contact patch. The Aggressor I'm less impressed with. I know there's a lot of love out there for the Aggressor but I feel that the DHF is the better rear tyre. It rolls almost as well and has a lot more grip.

Picked up a set of Goodyear Newton EN Premiums 29x2.6 from CRC for cheap. Looking forward to trying them on the Liteville mk14 29er.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Wow Derby seems like an eternity ago.

The Sam was definitely overkill for what I rode at Derby. A big part of that was having to drag over 2.5 kgs of dh tires up the snig track.

The Vittoria Martello 27.5x2.6 and Goma 27.5x2.4 combination was fantastic on the downs. Soooo much grip, even in the loose shale and light mud. But there was a big weight penalty, and I really felt it on the longer pedally trails like Blue Tier. The closest comparison I can think of would be Maxxis Shorty/DHF combo in a dh casing.

I've also switched from Huck Norris to Rimpact inserts. Theres only a 20gm weight penalty (about 100gms total from memory) and they give much better coverage and help to stop tyres rolling off the rim. They also don't stretch like the Nukeprood ARD.

hey oddjob, did you have to buy rimpact inserts direct from the company, or are they on one of the big online sellers - crc etc?

did you use the 'unblockable valves that came with the rimpact insert? was that a thing when you were using cushcore, or is it some marketing wank?

Last edited:

Oddjob

hey oddjob, did you have to buy rimpact inserts direct from the company, or are they on one of the big online sellers - crc etc?

did you use the 'unblockable valves that came with the rimpact insert? was that a thing when you were using cushcore, or is it some marketing wank?
I bought them direct. I emailed them to get a good deal on postage and to make sure the VAT was removed. I think they've updated their product offering recently though.

Definitely need the special valves, otherwise the inserts block the valves and you can never deflate the tyre.

You can get similar valves from Uberbike and CRC now.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Oddjob, have you tried cushcore? I've been running cushcore for a couple of years now and love them but if I can drop weight with these rimpact inserts and get most of the damping/protection of cushcore I might give these a go.

Oddjob

Never run Cushcore. The weight put me off, I'm heavy enough as it is before adding another 200+gms each wheel.

The rimpacts have been great. No dings even after staking a sidewall. Even been able to ride bike to the car slowly with a flat front tyre after a stack.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Sam is currently runnning Michelin Wild Enduros front and rear.
I have just had my first ride with the Wild Enduros F&R this weekend and although the weather has been much better with a bit of rain firming up our trails and giving grip I have to say it felt a million miles better that the worn DHF/DHR combo.HArd to get them cheap though :( and they are quite heavy.

Oddjob

I have just had my first ride with the Wild Enduros F&R this weekend and although the weather has been much better with a bit of rain firming up our trails and giving grip I have to say it felt a million miles better that the worn DHF/DHR combo.HArd to get them cheap though :( and they are quite heavy.
I get mine from Bike Components which sometimes have them on sale.

Oddjob

Holy crap. Forgot about this thread.

A quick update on some of my findings. I'm still getting lots of wobbly casings in Maxxis. I'm also finding that they still tend to be weepy even in DD. Shortys and HRs are good in loose or wet conditions. DHFs and Aggressors are good in the dry.

On the Schwalbe front, I've been running the Magic Mary and Hans Dampf combo in a povo Evolution Super Gravity Soft. Holy shit it's good. Rolling resistance is really good for the level of grip available for everything from sandstone to sandy soil. Durability seems ok but haven't been pushing them hard.

The Vittoria Martello and Mazza in TNT 4c compound could be the new enduro kings. They have arguably more grip then the Michelin Wild Enduros especially in loose conditions, but have a tougher casing, more durable rubber compound and competitive weight. The only downside is more rolling resistance, but this is offset by better mud clearance.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk