Product Review Oddjob's cave of tyres

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Suggest you look at cushcore or huck norris to try and help with those type of punctures
Hmmm, I thought they were aimed more at the Endure/DH crowd. Bit of a weight penalty yeah?

Before I ran tubeless I'd get a lot of snakebite tube punctures, and perhaps these tyre failures are a symptom of the same problem.

Maybe it's poor descending technique.

I've ordered a Minion SS and DHR, two tyres I haven't tried yet, so will be interesting to see how they hold up.

In the meantime I have a bunch of tyres that would hold tubes well.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hmmm, I thought they were aimed more at the Endure/DH crowd. Bit of a weight penalty yeah?

Before I ran tubeless I'd get a lot of snakebite tube punctures, and perhaps these tyre failures are a symptom of the same problem.

Maybe it's poor descending technique.

I've ordered a Minion SS and DHR, two tyres I haven't tried yet, so will be interesting to see how they hold up.

In the meantime I have a bunch of tyres that would hold tubes well.
The SS Minion with silkworm is a tough tyre from my experience, only downfall is that the casings can buckle early in the piece which you can choose to ignore unless it's a large one. This tyre has done 900kms of very rough trails (well past it's used by date) but it's never flatted on the trails.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I wish they'd make the Minion SS in a 2.5" with the DD casing (I like the firmer side-wall feel on the rear).

Would be such a tough but quick tyre. I've tried the 2.3" DD, but the side-knobs struggle keeping up with a 2.5"/2.6" DHF up front when the bikes lent over. Goes past slidey fun into outright sketchy territory IMO.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I wish they'd make the Minion SS in a 2.5" with the DD casing (I like the firmer side-wall feel on the rear).

Would be such a tough but quick tyre. I've tried the 2.3" DD, but the side-knobs struggle keeping up with a 2.5"/2.6" DHF up front when the bikes lent over. Goes past slidey fun into outright sketchy territory IMO.
Interesting. I've got the SS coming in 2.3 and the DHR in 2.4

I don't mind less grip with a drifty feel on the rear for the dry and dusty trails here (have run some more XC style tyres in the past), so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

The Specialized Slaughter is a similar style of tyre to the Minion SS and is available in a 27.5x2.6. The Grid casing is pretty good too but not as tough as the DD. Have you tried an Aggressor in 2.5 DD?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

beeb

Interesting. I've got the SS coming in 2.3 and the DHR in 2.4

I don't mind less grip with a drifty feel on the rear for the dry and dusty trails here (have run some more XC style tyres in the past), so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
That would probably be a better match. The size of the side-knobs is noticeably larger on the 2.5" and 2.6" tyres, and just bite harder.

I found it wasn't too bad a match on dusty clay, but wanted to loop out in sandy (You Yangs) thin skim of loose over hard. Normally riding there the front tyre feels the sketchiest, and while I don't generally mind the back getting a little slippery in most situations, I found it'd want to loop out mid-berm when really pushing hard. Was actually pretty good fun a lot of the time, just tip the bike in and let the 'rear steer' slide take it from there, but I nearly overcooked it a few times.

I didn't mind it though, and only swapped it out because I had it mounted on a 30mm internal width rim which was probably too wide for the tyre as it squared off too much and used to drag on the side-blocks a little when JRA. A 2.5" Aggressor actually rolled better for me and gave me better grip and balance with the 2.6" front tyre. With a DHF/DHR 2.4" front and 2.3" SS rear it should balance out fine IMO.

beeb

The Specialized Slaughter is a similar style of tyre to the Minion SS and is available in a 27.5x2.6. The Grid casing is pretty good too but not as tough as the DD. Have you tried an Aggressor in 2.5 DD?

Yep, 2.5" Aggressor DD is what I had before and after trying the Minion SS. Might run a Michelin Wild AM on the rear in future to try it out. I reckon it might feel like a faster rolling Aggressor, and probably save a few grams too. My brief experience with the Michelin out front suggests the casing feels firmer than Maxxis EXO but can feel a little pingy/bouncier over small rocks/roots that just catch the edge of the tyre - I'm interested to see if that feeling would still occur on the back.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
This is a gem of a forum entry! can this be pinned somewhere? maybe under rotorburn review? it’s so valuable!

i needed new tyres and have decided to go Wild AM in the back on be back of your recommendation @Oddjob !
i’ve been a michelin fan since i used the wild n race - something like that, but found them wear quick. Then again at $20 a tyre, i shouldn’t be complaining!

Oddjob

This is a gem of a forum entry! can this be pinned somewhere? maybe under rotorburn review? it’s so valuable!

i needed new tyres and have decided to go Wild AM in the back on be back of your recommendation @Oddjob !
i’ve been a michelin fan since i used the wild n race - something like that, but found them wear quick. Then again at $20 a tyre, i shouldn’t be complaining!
I'm glad my bike and component sluttiness can be of use.

The Wild Enduro f/Wild Am r is such a freaking good combo. The Wild Enduro f/Wild Enduro r is good for steep or wet conditions but too draggy for the Sydney sand.

I'm currently running a Mavic Crossmax (essentially a High Roller copy) and a High Roller dh both in 27.5x2.4 on the SAM and the grip is outstanding but the drag is really noticeable. Will probably swap the HR for an Aggressor.

The Pole is still in its bike bag from Maydena in January because I've been sick/flat out at work/CBF. It's currently running a 27.5+ DHF/Aggressor combo and that is another awesome combo but perhaps edged out by the Michelin dream team.

When I recover from CBF and finally relace my 29er rear for the Pole. I'm probably going to run a Specialized Butcher/Slaughter combo for training. It's like a poor mans DHR2/Minion SS combo. I don't know why but Specialized tyres are significantly cheaper than Maxxis but they hold up really well. I'll save the Michelin dream team for racing.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I don't know why but Specialized tyres are significantly cheaper than Maxxis but they hold up really well.
Ummm, ask Jared how robust the Specialized tyres are, I think every DNF he had during the last 2 seasons can be attributed to tyre failure.

In saying that any of those guys are going to be pushing the limits of any rubber.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Ummm, ask Jared how robust the Specialized tyres are, I think every DNF he had during the last 2 seasons can be attributed to tyre failure.

In saying that any of those guys are going to be pushing the limits of any rubber.
Shrug. I haven't had any problems with them. They weep a little bit more sealant initially but otherwise have been fine. They aren't as good as their Maxxis and Michelin equivalents but for the price the value stacks up.

On the other hand I've given up on Schwalbe and Continental. I've just had too many cracked casings, busted sidewalls, torn knobs and even the odd delamination of the bead.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Speaking of weeping, I've found that Peaty's sealant is really good at not doing that. I had a fairly new SS that used to weep badly, but since changing to Peaty's, it hasn't been an issue.

Oddjob

Speaking of weeping, I've found that Peaty's sealant is really good at not doing that. I had a fairly new SS that used to weep badly, but since changing to Peaty's, it hasn't been an issue.
I haven't used Peatys but used Joes, Stans/Race, Mitas and now Effetto.

I've pretty much settled on the Effetto now. It works as well as the Stan's race and seals up everything including second hand tyres that leak like a sieve. But it doesn't dry as quickly as the Stan's race, doesn't have the itchy fibres and you can inject top ups through the valve. It also doesn't tend to snot up valves.

Bikebug has the best prices and its usually in stock unlike Pushies. https://www.bikebug.com/effetto-mariposa-caffelatex-tyre-sealant-p-84517.html

Oddjob

Speaking of which how much sealant is everyone using?

I use 100ml in a 27.5 with a Huck Norris and 120ml in a 29 with a Huck Norris. 20ml less if no Huck Norris.

I tend to find I need to do a top up within 2 months with new tyres but can then top up every 4-6 months.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Speaking of which how much sealant is everyone using?

I use 100ml in a 27.5 with a Huck Norris and 120ml in a 29 with a Huck Norris. 20ml less if no Huck Norris.

I tend to find I need to do a top up within 2 months with new tyres but can then top up every 4-6 months.

I put in what the sealant manufacturer recommends for the tyre size, best way to have the least problems.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Fitted the Minion SS and had a run around Stromlo.

Pretty happy with the first outing. Feels like it keeps momentum better than whatever I had on there before (have to go out the grudge to check and it just started raining, will update). Climbing is good too.

I didn't find it sketchy in the corners. I run fairly high pressure in my rear tyres (30-35psi), so perhaps it helps keep its shape. I can imagine those who run lower pressures might run into a few odd sensations rolling between the big and little knobs?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Fitted the Minion SS and had a run around Stromlo.

Pretty happy with the first outing. Feels like it keeps momentum better than whatever I had on there before (have to go out the grudge to check and it just started raining, will update). Climbing is good too.

I didn't find it sketchy in the corners. I run fairly high pressure in my rear tyres (30-35psi), so perhaps it helps keep its shape. I can imagine those who run lower pressures might run into a few odd sensations rolling between the big and little knobs?
Not that I've noticed, and I run mine at around 25-27.

Warp

Likes Dirt
So anyway, seeing as we're here to talk about tyres:

The new Hans Dampf are bloody great. Get onto 'em.
Tell me more, I'm all ears...

I hate a love / hate relationship to Minions. I'm running a front currently, but that dang sensation of losing grip when not enough lean drives me crazy sometimes. Grip for Africa, though.

I have run the Hans Dampf and I like them. I have not tried the new tread/compound, though.

I also need a lightish rear tyre. I got a Spesh Fast Track 2.1 and yeah, it's fast and light but I don't see it lasting that long, lol

Oddjob

Tell me more, I'm all ears...

I hate a love / hate relationship to Minions. I'm running a front currently, but that dang sensation of losing grip when not enough lean drives me crazy sometimes. Grip for Africa, though.

I have run the Hans Dampf and I like them. I have not tried the new tread/compound, though.

I also need a lightish rear tyre. I got a Spesh Fast Track 2.1 and yeah, it's fast and light but I don't see it lasting that long, lol
Vittoria Saguaro and Mezcal are really fast, and have a reasonable balance of grip, speed and strength.

The Specialized Slaughter in the lighter casing might fit the bill.

Or the big daddy, Michelin Wild AM. Freakishly good rear tyre. Wouldn't be as fast as the above but you would make it back in the corners.