Off the bike for ages, no skill no fitness, no knees

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have hardly ridden bikes in the last 12 months due to a extremely busy schedule.
I have recently got back onto a roadie to ride to work, its a aweful old Giant Kronos, but it works.

I realize I am totally un bike-fit and smashed my self a few time trying to hop up gutters on the roadie,
but me knees oh god my knees, work is only a few Kms away with a decent hill in the middle. I have tried every way of climbing it but my knees are constantly wrecked,
went for a ride on the hardtail through some single track, again my knees were shot.

So I'm looking for some off bike training and possibly diet tips to improve the way my body is handling the riding.
My calves are also wasted 90% of the time as my work has me standing and walking around alot. again diet /off bike training tips to try and get them feeling at least OK some of the time.

also thought i should add, Im riding flats, so poor cleat position isnt a factor

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I have hardly ridden bikes in the last 12 months due to a extremely busy schedule.
I have recently got back onto a roadie to ride to work, its a aweful old Giant Kronos, but it works.

I realize I am totally un bike-fit and smashed my self a few time trying to hop up gutters on the roadie,
but me knees oh god my knees, work is only a few Kms away with a decent hill in the middle. I have tried every way of climbing it but my knees are constantly wrecked,
went for a ride on the hardtail through some single track, again my knees were shot.

So I'm looking for some off bike training and possibly diet tips to improve the way my body is handling the riding.
My calves are also wasted 90% of the time as my work has me standing and walking around alot. again diet /off bike training tips to try and get them feeling at least OK some of the time.

also thought i should add, Im riding flats, so poor cleat position isnt a factor
Hey mate, I feel for you.

What exactly do you mean by your knees are shot? Where are they sore? Only when riding, or afterwards as well? Type of pain?

But aside all of that, it is really easy to go too hard when getting back into it, particularly if your previous fitness level has been high. Don't smash yourself, just go easy, get back in to the groove, use easy gears, avoid hills, and slowly reintroduce intensity over time.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah taking it pretty easy.

Knee pain from behind the knee cap extending into the top of the calf.
During and next day.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Do you mean behind the knee ( knee pit, for a descriptive term) or behind the knee cap?

If you are already taking it easy, take it easier. Things will not improve by pushing through it.

moorey

call me Mia
Sounds a bit like the ITBS my mate had when he first got back on the bike. Came good after a rest, some physio, stretches and then hitting the bike once recovered. Stretching as prescribed my physio was the main help I remember.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From behind the knee cap, through the knee joint and than to the top of the calf.
I'd say you aren't recovered so you have an accumulation of fatigue, keep riding and it could become an injury. so first thing is to cross train to spread load over body. it takes some months if not a year for your body to adapt to the load you are putting it under, aren't going to happen over night.

nothing wrong with a swim or slow jog (not run!!). I would recommend doing walk laps in the pool. no hard rides yet, slow jog for weight loss, swim recovery, ride easy and say to your self, spin, spin.

you have to approach your comeback with a long term plan, so build some base endurance, get the weight down and do things incrementally. look where you want to be in 18 months and focus on that!

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
How old are you and approx weight?

12 months ago I found the same thing. Basically taught myself to spin. Every hill, Lowest gear without even trying and no speed. Light on the knees and keep in the saddle (assuming bike fit ok).

Now I can happily spin at 110rpm for 50+km and knees are still surviving.

Also just completed 3 peaks which was 230km and 4000m climbing

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
26. 185cm 83kg but a broad build.

I have been trying to soon granny only for climbs no big ring on flats etc. going to the physio next week will see what they say.
I'm really surprised at how quickly your body let's go when you let it

Will keep this thread updates with physio report and training/diet changes/outcomes

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Good luck with the physio.

I expect just taking it easy and letting your body get used to it will be the simple answer.

mella060

Likes Dirt
I had similar issues. Went to the physio and he said i had tight ITB muscles.

Try the ITB stretch in the following link. The one where you cross the leg to be stretched behind the other leg and push your hips out. My physio said to do it three times a day with three lots of 30 seconds on each side. Seems to have helped.

ITB Stretches

driftking

Wheel size expert
Good call with physio, it sounds like its a issue that definitely needs to be professionally examined.
Follow the physios advice of course.

To bring up the obvious one make sure the bike is set up right, improper set up can put excessive strain on the knees or other parts of the body.

I won't suggest anything off the bike of even on the bike as its really the physio who needs to do that.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Abit of an update, waiting for a physio appointment (Easter got in the middle of it)

I have dropped about 2kgs in the last 2 weeks though, which is nice but not the point, just cut out obviously bad food (maccas/KFC etc) and sugary drinks.

I didn't ride last week, which sucked but my knees thanked me for it, but i was still reasonably sore by Thursday arvo just from work. but more in the back of the knee-calves,
Which makes me think I have 1 issue caused by riding and another just because I have to wear woeful work boots 9-5 mon-fri.

will wait to speak to the physio but maybe seeing a podiatrist may be in order to.

I have been building the nicest hard tail ever. but this all has me a little worried that I may not get to ride it (due to my knees crapping out).

Being so unfit is so infuriating, I can see how you can get stuck in a rut of unfitness because getting it back is hard work.

moorey

call me Mia
Seen your HT, sweet ride, but mightn't a duallie be kinder on knees?
You're welcome to borrow my trance frame to chuck some parts on to try out and see if it helps. No one seems to want it, so I might as well hold onto it for another day.
Can drop it off for you when I eventually pick up those wheels. (Could do this arvo possibly if you're free)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I don't know if HT vs FS would make all that much difference. I'd say it's more a case of the body having lost conditioning to that kind of use, and it's just going to take some time to ease back into it, gradually building up. Of course, get the setup checked; as previously mentioned, incorrect seat height and poor cleat position (if cleats are used) can easily cause problems if not corrected.