Official Closure of Warrimoo (and what you can do to help)

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Provided below is is the official letter received from Ku-ring-gai Council regarding Warrimoo, and TrailCare's official response.

TrailCare encourages everyone to contact the elected representatives of Ku-ring-gai Council to express dissatisfaction in the decision, via the email addresses provided further below. Whilst TrailCare has agreed to work with council , given the current outcome under their existing unstructured recreational strategy, the executive committee decided that letters to Council are appropriate.

Everyone should to explain to council what the facility means to them, and comment on its importance to the community and to society. I know a number of members of the community feel very strongly about this issue.

Also, if you agree with TrailCare's position, ask council to Council pass a motion that ensures closure of the Warrimoo Downhill Trail is postponed indefinitely, pending an appropriate Strategic Review. This Strategic Review should include at least the following:

(a) A review, conducted by a qualified expert with proven experience in designing and auditing successful mountain bike trails in ecologically sensitive areas, relating to the impact of continued usage and maintenance of the trail, as identified.

(b) A report, provided by the conducted by qualified expert with proven experience in designing and auditing successful mountain bike trails in ecologically sensitive areas other than closure, detailing measures (other than trail closure and remediation) that can be implemented to mitigate scientifically demonstrated adverse impacts of the continued usage of the trail.

(c) Adverse impacts on health and the local economy associated with proposed closure of the trail.

(d) The cost and potential for providing, in a timely manner, alternate facilities for a displaced rider group, based on provision of a corresponding riding experience from a facility of equal or higher quality, designed in consultation with the displaced rider group.​

The Strategic Review will present multiple options for the future of the Existing Informal Facility, and provide recommendations based on a transparent and objective balancing of all factors.

Given Council’s willingness to delay closure of the facility for three years following a 2012 report that is being used as justification for closure, then, in the event that the Strategic Review leads to a conclusion that the trail does indeed need to be closed and remediated, Council should be prepared to postpone the closure until a replacement facility is constructed and available for use.

Here are the relevant email addresses:

janderson@kmc.nsw.gov.au; cforsmond@kmc.nsw.gov.au; darmstrong@kmc.nsw.gov.au; emalicki@kmc.nsw.gov.au; jpettett@kmc.nsw.gov.au; dmcdonald@kmc.nsw.gov.au; cszatow@kmc.nsw.gov.au; dciter@kmc.nsw.gov.au; dossip@kmc.nsw.gov.au; cberlioz@kmc.nsw.gov.au

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Letter-re-Warimoo-Closure-page-001.jpg

Letter-re-Warimoo-Closure-page-002.jpg

Letter-re-Warimoo-Closure-page-003.jpg

Letter-re-Warimoo-Closure-page-004.jpg

Letter-re-Warimoo-Closure-page-005.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Don't want to poo on the parade but Warringah Council have nailed the writing to the wall by quoting the threatened species stuff. Trailcare is going to have to respond to that (and get some decent advice) in order to have any chance of turning the decision around.

I'm not suggesting that Council are 'right' but (by articulating threatened species impacts) they have waved a very big gun in the direction of the trail...and it'll be up to the Warrimooser's to convince them legally and logically otherwise. And that'll serious hard work

Even if there was enough noise made I think the points outlined by council would still be hard to win against. At best if the trail is to remain close I do hope they approve a dh/fr trail somewhere to compensate for users moving elsewhere and repeating the same scenario again.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Ahhh, the good old endangered species card eh? Is that the same endangered species card that stopped the construction of the Homebush Olympic facility? The same endangered species card that was to put a halt on tourists visiting the barrier reef? I'm all for caring for our environment and enjoying the spoils of a healthy ecosystem but this stuff is dictated by pencil pushing morons preparing their reports and studies from a high rise building no doubt.
Fuck 'em I say. Make enough noise that it shows them the rate payers and voting folk are a voice to be heard.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
And don't forget to thank them for supporting more illegal trail building
Our local big jump line just got closed, kinda. Signs posted all down the track syaing 'anymore building and we'll get ya for it'.

Another one has already started, bigger than the last with wooden structures too. Give us what we have and have had for the last 15 years and we'll stay there happily.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't want to poo on the parade but Warringah Council have nailed the writing to the wall by quoting the threatened species stuff. Trailcare is going to have to respond to that (and get some decent advice) in order to have any chance of turning the decision around.

I'm not suggesting that Council are 'right' but (by articulating threatened species impacts) they have waved a very big gun in the direction of the trail...and it'll be up to the Warrimooser's to convince them legally and logically otherwise. And that'll serious hard work

Council acknowledged the trail had been in place for 10 years as of 2010, and agreed to formalize the trail.

The endangered species were conveniently identified in 2012.

Prospects of keeping the trail long term may be limited. But I think the riders at least deserve another year or so, whilst a replacement facility is built.

silentbutdeadly

Ahhh, the good old endangered species card eh? Is that the same endangered species card that stopped the construction of the Homebush Olympic facility? The same endangered species card that was to put a halt on tourists visiting the barrier reef? I'm all for caring for our environment and enjoying the spoils of a healthy ecosystem but this stuff is dictated by pencil pushing morons preparing their reports and studies from a high rise building no doubt.
Fuck 'em I say. Make enough noise that it shows them the rate payers and voting folk are a voice to be heard.
Same card. Which means you can get around it. But not by waving your dick in the ether...you have to pander to the bureaucracy and play it by their checklist. If you give them their 'get out of my hair' card on this issue then you are golden...to a point. It doesn't always work (as Dozer and others know well) but then neither does whining on the Internet.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Email sent. Very long and detailed, this one. Having been part of the OBR and subsequent Knapsack debacle, I've related some of the experiences they had up there, as well as asking council about the proposed costs of the new trail, compared to the zero costs of the current trail. Have of course also asked if they've considered the negative effect of the health of residents the closure of this trail will have.

A sad day indeed.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Ask for photographic and scientific proof of the well timed endangered species discovery.
You will probably get it. A quick search of the NSW Wildlife atlas shows that Melaleuca sp first recorded by a scientific licence holder around that site in April 1988.

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Don't want to poo on the parade but Warringah Council have nailed the writing to the wall by quoting the threatened species stuff.
Not Necessarily. It completely depends on the species. From what I understand there is a 7 part test that needs to be evaluated

Pony express is built in a sensitive bush land habitate that includes 3 threatened species (Including Australia's rarest butterfly) and potential threatened species habitat.

The independent report found

The discovery of this population offers an opportunity to educate and involve both mountain bike
riders and pony club members in the recovery of this species. A 7-part test for the Butterfly as
required under the Threatened Species Conservation Act (1995) is attached as Appendix 2

7 Part Test for Purple Copper Butterfly (Paralucia spinifera)

a) in the case of a threatened species, whether the action proposed is likely to have an
adverse effect on the life cycle of the species such that a viable local population of
the species is likely to be placed at risk of extinction
If the track detours around any potential habitat, it is unlikely to have an adverse effect on the
life cycle of the species such that a viable local population of the species is likely to be placed
at risk of extinction.

The discovery of this population offers an opportunity to educate and involve both mountain
bike riders and pony club members in the recovery of this species.

b) in the case of an endangered population, whether the action proposed is likely to
have an adverse effect on the life cycle of the species that constitutes the endangered
population such that a viable local population of the species is likely to be placed at
risk of extinction,

This is not a listed endangered population.

c) in the case of an endangered ecological community or critically endangered
ecological community, whether the action proposed:

(i) is likely to have an adverse effect on the extent of the ecological community
such that its local occurrence is likely to be placed at risk of extinction, or

(ii) is likely to substantially and adversely modify the composition of the ecological
community such that its local occurrence is likely to be placed at risk of
extinction,

This is not a listed endangered ecological community.

d) in relation to the habitat of a threatened species, population or ecological
community:

(i) the extent to which habitat is likely to be removed or modified as a result of the
action proposed, and

(ii) whether an area of habitat is likely to become fragmented or isolated from
other areas of habitat as a result of the proposed action, and

(iii) the importance of the habitat to be removed, modified, fragmented or isolated
to the long-term survival of the species, population or ecological community in
the locality,

Habitat for the butterfly comprises patches of Bursaria that receive adequate solar radiation.
The presence of the attendant ant species is also necessary. This proposal will not modify this
habitat to a large degree. No trees are to be removed during the construction of this track, and
the clearing of understorey kept to a minimum, the understorey is sparse along much of the
upper proposed track route due to a recent burn in the area. The width of the track is to be 1m
and will be earth, it is considered unlikely that this will cause fragmentation of the habitat. It
is recommended that any patches of Bursaria spinosa subsp. lasiophylla that are considered
likely to provide potential habitat be avoided and the track detour around them.

The Butterfly populations in this area have just been found, and are located between 80 and
150 metres from the proposed track, and are unlikely to be impacted by the proposal. Other
local populations of the butterfly have been recorded nearby within Lithgow LGA.

e) whether the action proposed is likely to have an adverse effect on critical habitat
(either directly or indirectly),

This is not listed as critical habitat.

f) whether the action proposed is consistent with the objectives or actions of a
recovery plan or threat abatement plan,

The proposal does not conflict with the recovery plan, as long as no potential habitat is
removed, which is not proposed.

The recovery plan mentons ‘Community awareness and involvement’ as an important action –
this population offers an excellent opportunity to educate and involve both the mountain
biking community and the pony club members in the recovery of this species.

g) whether the action proposed constitutes or is part of a key threatening process or is
likely to result in the operation of, or increase the impact of, a key threatening process.

The proposed action is not a listed Key Threatening Process (KTP). Clearing of Native
Vegetation is a listed KTP. No trees are to be removed for this track, and clearing of
understorey kept to a minimum, the understorey is sparse along much of the proposed track
route due to a recent burn in the area. The width of the track is to be 1m. It is recommended
that any patches of Bursaria spinosa subsp. lasiophylla that are considered likely to provide
potential habitat be avoided and the track detour around them.

The fact that the trail has been in place for at least 10 years and the threatened species are still evident suggests the presence for the trail isn't a Key threatening process.

Whether council is willing to pursue that is another matter. We had to fork out the funds for the report up here

Best of luck with it.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
For those looking for some inspiration please find below the email that I sent to the Council....

Dear Councillors,

I am writing to you as an active member of the mountain biking community in regards to a letter advising that it is the Ku-ring-gai Council’s intention to close the Warrimoo Oval Downhill Track.

Whilst I am sympathetic to the reasons outlined in correspondence to Dr Simon Kean of Trailcare dated 9 June 2015 and I appreciate the time taken to explain the motives behind the Council’s decision I cannot agree that there are no feasible solutions available that would allow the trail to remain open to the users and mitigate any impact on the Endangered Ecological Community (EEC) that forms a part of the land where the trail exists.

It is my understanding that the land where the trail currently exists is part of the EEC referred as Coastal Upland Swamp in the Sydney Basin Bioregion and that the council refers specifically to several threatened species of flora and fauna. A search of the NSW Government Office of Environment and Heritage’s website for the flora and fauna detailed in Council’s letter returned the following results.

Deane's Paperbark (Melaleuca deanei) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10515
Tetratheca glandulosa (Tetratheca glandulosa) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10798
Eastern Pygmy Possum (Cercartetus nanus) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10155
Rosenberg's Goanna (Varanus rosenbergi) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10826
Red-crowned Toadlet (Pseudophryne australis) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10692

I would like to note here that the Ku-ring-gai local government area is not listed as a management site for any of the aforementioned threatened species and that the status listed for all of these species is vulnerable. The reason that I see this as significant is that there are many areas around the country where is has been demonstrated time again that sustainable mountain bike trails can co-exist within EECs. As a specific example is the Glenrock State Conservation Area whose Plan of Management (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/planmanagement/final/20100835GlenrockSCA.pdf) details ten nationally significant vegetation communities, two endangered ecological communities and five threatened flora species and yet still maintains around 14km of formalised mountain bike single track.

I also read that the last formal study of the area was conducted in 2012, I feel at this stage that it would be pertinent to undertake a follow up study which would be able to objectively determine whether the continued utilisation of the trail over the last three years has resulted in further degradation to the area.

It is my belief that the closure of the Warrimoo Downhill Trail should be postponed indefinitely, pending an appropriate Strategic Review. This Strategic Review should as a minimum include the following:

(a) A review, conducted by a qualified expert with proven experience in designing and auditing successful mountain bike trails in ecologically sensitive areas, relating to the impact of continued usage and maintenance of the trail, as identified.

(b) A report, provided by the conducted by qualified expert with proven experience in designing and auditing successful mountain bike trails in ecologically sensitive areas other than closure, detailing measures (other than trail closure and remediation) that can be implemented to mitigate scientifically demonstrated adverse impacts of the continued usage of the trail.

(c) Adverse impacts on health and the local economy associated with proposed closure of the trail.

(d) The cost and potential for providing, in a timely manner, alternate facilities for a displaced rider group, based on provision of a corresponding riding experience from a facility of equal or higher quality, designed in consultation with the displaced rider group.

Yours Sincerely,

<INSERT NAME>

will2

Likes Dirt
Email sent.
Focused on points of obesity and related issues, anti-social youth (drugs and the like) and mental health (drew upon a few experiences of MTBing getting me through)
It's going to take a monster effort but we can do this.

How come I can throw 50 minutes into and that email yet can't even start my Essay? If I fail I know who to blame.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Jesus H Christ the time travelling beardo. Well done Trailcare.

Endangered. Nothing's fuckin near endangered out there.

Is this the Crappest council in Nsw. Oh well, seeing the Chinese investor is buying up big in the area and the the oldies are dying off... 5yrs and the Council will have a different look to it. Thank the bearded time traveller!

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
What doesn't make sense is that in the 10yrs+ that the trail is recognized to have been there the local animal life will have adapted to the trail being an factor in there environment. Having the trails removed is going to cause more disruption to the wildlife which will have to readjust to a significant change in their surroundings.

Removing the trail which is well built will induce further erosion from the removal of hard packed parts of the track.

Kind sad that councils seem to avidly work against getting people out & enjoying there local areas, giving local kids an outlet to pick up a sport/hobby, I've sent an email across to the council members also.

I just lost parts local trails in Warragamba due to an ahole dumping asbestos material there & the council fenced it off, their removal solution from that was dump soil over it.....

silentbutdeadly

For those looking for some inspiration please find below the email that I sent to the Council....

Dear Councillors,

I am writing to you as an active member of the mountain biking community in regards to a letter advising that it is the Ku-ring-gai Council’s intention to close the Warrimoo Oval Downhill Track.

Whilst I am sympathetic to the reasons outlined in correspondence to Dr Simon Kean of Trailcare dated 9 June 2015 and I appreciate the time taken to explain the motives behind the Council’s decision I cannot agree that there are no feasible solutions available that would allow the trail to remain open to the users and mitigate any impact on the Endangered Ecological Community (EEC) that forms a part of the land where the trail exists.

It is my understanding that the land where the trail currently exists is part of the EEC referred as Coastal Upland Swamp in the Sydney Basin Bioregion and that the council refers specifically to several threatened species of flora and fauna. A search of the NSW Government Office of Environment and Heritage’s website for the flora and fauna detailed in Council’s letter returned the following results.

Deane's Paperbark (Melaleuca deanei) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10515
Tetratheca glandulosa (Tetratheca glandulosa) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10798
Eastern Pygmy Possum (Cercartetus nanus) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10155
Rosenberg's Goanna (Varanus rosenbergi) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10826
Red-crowned Toadlet (Pseudophryne australis) - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/savingourspeciesapp/project.aspx?ProfileID=10692

I would like to note here that the Ku-ring-gai local government area is not listed as a management site for any of the aforementioned threatened species and that the status listed for all of these species is vulnerable. The reason that I see this as significant is that there are many areas around the country where is has been demonstrated time again that sustainable mountain bike trails can co-exist within EECs. As a specific example is the Glenrock State Conservation Area whose Plan of Management (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/planmanagement/final/20100835GlenrockSCA.pdf) details ten nationally significant vegetation communities, two endangered ecological communities and five threatened flora species and yet still maintains around 14km of formalised mountain bike single track.

I also read that the last formal study of the area was conducted in 2012, I feel at this stage that it would be pertinent to undertake a follow up study which would be able to objectively determine whether the continued utilisation of the trail over the last three years has resulted in further degradation to the area.

It is my belief that the closure of the Warrimoo Downhill Trail should be postponed indefinitely, pending an appropriate Strategic Review. This Strategic Review should as a minimum include the following:

(d) The cost and potential for providing, in a timely manner, alternate facilities for a displaced rider group, based on provision of a corresponding riding experience from a facility of equal or higher quality, designed in consultation with the displaced rider group.

Yours Sincerely,

<INSERT NAME>
Where is the spontaneous wild applause button on Tapatalk?

That is a AAA+ effort and exactly what every Warrimooser should be sending to Council forthwith.

It should also be modified slightly for use to send to the current NSW Minister for Lands and or Environment. Doing so will generate a Ministerial within the relevant department each time and enough of them make for interesting times especially when they are well reasoned and thorough like this one because each issue (threatened species or community) raised requires a specific response...

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
For those looking for some inspiration please find below the email that I sent to the Council...
Email sent. Used this as a template and added my views about how Mountain Biking is cathartic and gives young fellas a sense of purpose and something community-centred to be involved in.

robbie b

Likes Bikes
if the so called endangered species were found to be so threatened in 2012, why would it take 3 years to close it, clearly it wasn't a massive concern of theirs otherwise it would have been done in a matter of months, its straws they have found and they are clutching at them

robbie b

Likes Bikes
sorry for the long ass post but this was my email i sent the council members
Hello to all concerned,
I am writing to you to express mine and many others disappointment of the intention to close the Warrimmoo Downhill track. This track holds a very big place in the hearts of gravity mountain bikers across Sydney and further, as people travel quite a distance to ride such a quality built trail, including one of the worlds best downhill racers all the way from the UK enjoying some laps at Warrimoo DH during a short stay in Sydney.

It is moments like these which inspire the youth of our world to dream big and dedicate themselves to their aspirations and maybe one day they too can travel the globe with their mountain bikes and sample what the rest of the world has to offer.

This brings me to the point that mountain bike facilities such as Warrimoo DH track attract people from all different locations to visit Sydney to ride such well renowned trails, bringing tourism dollars and money to local retail. So if this track is so well renowned across the country and the globe you can only imagine what it means to the locals who are riding it almost every day. I could go on for pages about why it is so wrong to close this track and the negative repercussions that could come from the closure of such a facility, but i would much prefer to encourage you to realise that closing this track would be a leap backwards for the council's relationship with the community. You would never tear down a playground or tear up sporting field or complex because of environmental reasons, you would look for a solution that has a positive outcome for everyone involved. This is what Warrimoo DH track is to the riders who frequent it, it is a playground for our sport of choice and our sport is a healthy, environment appreciating (because without it we would have nowhere to ride), fun loving sport for all ages.

If in this 2012 report the council performed there was genuine concern for the damage the track was doing to these supposed endangered species of fauna and flora in the area you would have acted immediately. So it really sounds like with this reason and the rest of the reasons for the closure of the track you are clutching at straws. I and many others agree with trailcare's position on the matter and plead with the council to pass a motion to ensure closure of Warrimoo Downhill Track is postponed indefinitely, pending an appropriate strategic review.

This Strategic Review should include at least the following:
In conclusion I think if the council wants to be seen as a progressive and forward thinking organisation with the local citizens best interests in mind they should look at working with the local riders and trail carers of this area and the appropriate professionals to make sure the trail is brought up to environmental standards and future proofed for many decades to come. Most of the hard work is done and it wouldn't cost much to make the existing trail an eco friendly Downhill track to keep a large group of riders with somewhere sanctioned to to enjoy their sport of choice.

Yours Sincerely
Robert Supple, Channel 9 Cameraman